We made the Road & Track Top 50 Car Guy List

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Road & Track Top 50/Watch Collecting thread

Dec. Road & Track came up a with a list of 50 Automotive "Must Do's" every car guy should do once in his life from races, to cars, to movies, to products.

I had nailed about 7 already:

-See or Drive a Ford GT
-Monaco Grand Prix
-Monterey-Pebble Beach Weekend
-24H Le Mans
-Grand Prix Movie

I would personally add: every car guy should own at least one vintage car watch:

-Heuer Monaco (or any of the 12 F1 Racetrack model watches ca. 60s)
-Heuer Monza
-Heuer Carrera
-Rolex Daytona
-Porsche Design PVD Chronograph
-Heuer "Champion Logo" Chronograph
-Girard Perregeaux Ferrari
-Chopard Mille Miglia (Dunlop Tyre band)
-Audemars-Piguet Offshore-BMW
-Seiko Speedtimer ca. 70s

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime

The TAG Heuer CEO is a personal friend of mine... Car fan aswell, if you have difficulties sourcing, PM me... :wink

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I would personally add: every car guy should own at least one vintage car watch:

-Heuer Monaco (or any of the 12 F1 Racetrack model watches ca. 60s)
-Heuer Monza
-Heuer Carrera
-Rolex Daytona
-Porsche Design PVD Chronograph
-Heuer "Champion Logo" Chronograph
-Girard Perregeaux Ferrari
-Chopard Mille Miglia (Dunlop Tyre band)
-Audemars-Piguet Offshore-BMW
-Seiko Speedtimer ca. 70s

Don't forget the Panerai Ferrari ones.. Love the Rattrapante

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
Why would anyone wear a watch? Some guy wore one in my GT and I made him take it off as it made a scratch noise against the door panel. But seriously, there are clocks everywhere and the cell phone time is always accurate.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Always a pleasure to wear a fine mechanical watch.

Right now I am wearing a 1973 Omega Speedmaster Professional, manual wind.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
MDT,

Dont wear it in the GT (or a large Belt buckle, jeans with rivets, or gals with buckle handbags, rings, bangles, etc).

Wear it elsewhere. Its another piece of fine mechanical machinery with an engine inside.

Last edited:

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Dont wear it in the GT (or a large Belt buckle, jeans with rivets, or gals with buckle handbags, rings, bangles, etc).

Wear it elsewhere. Its another piece of fine mechanical machinery with an engine inside.

My wife doesn't wear any of those things in my car....I generally have her lean in my lap to read my Daytona strapped to my wrist so we can time speeds...

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Good topic. What brand watch do you whear and why that brand?

futuregtowner

Sep 16, 2006
SE Arizona
Watch brand.............

Back in the 80's and early 90's had the Rolex President, day/date, gold face.

Now, and for the past several years, been wearing Breitlings. I'm on my third one, a day/date SuperOcean Chronometre in stainless with all the stop watch function and things. Really like the look. The ruggedness. Just great-looking watches.

I think Rolexes are sooooo '80's looking. Wouldn't go back to one. Just my 2 cents.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Good topic. What brand watch do you whear and why that brand?

I am a diamond dealer by trade. Have had everything. Settled on:
Rolex Daytona 18KT white gold, mother-of-pearl diamond dial, leather strap.
Rolex Daytona 18KT yellow gold, Super Carat (diamond bracelet, bezel, & dial).
Patek Philippe Platinum Perpetual Annual Calender Chronograph, diamond marker dial.

One for each mood I'm in. And, yes I wear them in my GT. Never scratch anything with them.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Patek Philippe Platinum Perpetual Annual Calender Chronograph, diamond marker dial.

If I had the cash...

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I personally favor Breitlings. Pilot thing you know...

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I too have always liked Rolex. My grandfather has always worn them and for me there is the problem. I see a beautiful time piece and I see grandpa.
Came across a Breitling Chronographe with a Acierinox band (gold and stainless pinns) a few years back at a pilot shop and still like the look today.

Chris, do you fly? Have a plane?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I too have always liked Rolex. My grandfather has always worn them and for me there is the problem. I see a beautiful time piece and I see grandpa.
Came across a Breitling Chronographe with a Acierinox band (gold and stainless pinns) a few years back at a pilot shop and still like the look today.

Chris, do you fly? Have a plane?

Yeah, fixed, float and rotor. I don't want to hijack this thread. Check out recent post in "Pit at Le Mans": http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3596

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I have several Tag's. I have been wearing them for years, and they are always accurate, and look great.
I will probably get a Breitling for my next watch. I am not sure if I will ever get a Rolex though. My daily is my Tag Searacer. Yes, I always wear my watches when driving, and I have no scratches at all.:biggrin

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Yeah, fixed, float and rotor. I don't want to hijack this thread. Check out recent post in "Pit at Le Mans": http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3596

Beautiful plane! My dad keeps telling me to get one, but I don't think I use one enought to justify the high expense. I do love them though and your is great!

Just went back and read the entire original post. Verrrry Nice!

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
How about an AP Barrichello 1 and the soo to be released series 2, Richard Mille Massa edition, Braun GP edition, Panerai AMG edition, and don't forget the Heuer Monaco, preforably a "caliber 36"

I have almost 20 watches. You have to be into it and appreciate it, and saying a watch is a watch, it like saying the GT is just a car. Watches are not for all as the GT is not for all.

Platinum Patek perpetual, well done!

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
Always a pleasure to wear a fine mechanical watch.

Right now I am wearing a 1973 Omega Speedmaster Professional, manual wind.

Like Syco, I wear an Omega Speedmaster Professional, manual wind. It is the July 16, 1969 model, one of the first watches manufactured on the birth date of my youngest son,and the launch date of our first moon mission.

201MPH

Apr 25, 2006
Toronto
Why would anyone wear a watch? Some guy wore one in my GT and I made him take it off as it made a scratch noise against the door panel. But seriously, there are clocks everywhere and the cell phone time is always accurate.

Why own a Ford GT when you can take the bus?