Viper under review

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
" I can assure you more than 15% have suffered serious damage. "

Which then begs the question; are we as custodians of these fine cars, even though we drive them, modify them, and enjoy them daily, better served (assuming one can afford/garage more than one supercar) trying to buy a well repaired "salvaged car" to drive the piss out of, and trailer queen the other?
I know there are too many produced to make them instant collectibles, but given how relatively well they have held up so far, and with the increasing amount of salvage ads out there, one wonders if it makes sense to be driving these cars they way they were intended?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think I will be revising my Hold to a Strong Hold for sometime to come.

This is the true test of time for the value of FGTs. The US supply is shrinking, but the world's economy is severely strained. It will be interesting to see how the prices hold up during the next 6 months.

As bad as the stock market is today, using a holding period of 10+ years, I bet I would be better off selling the FGT today and buying the stock market at these levels today. Nevertheless I am holding on to mine since I don't consider it an investment.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
" I can assure you more than 15% have suffered serious damage. "

Which then begs the question; are we as custodians of these fine cars, even though we drive them, modify them, and enjoy them daily, better served (assuming one can afford/garage more than one supercar) trying to buy a well repaired "salvaged car" to drive the piss out of, and trailer queen the other?
I know there are too many produced to make them instant collectibles, but given how relatively well they have held up so far, and with the increasing amount of salvage ads out there, one wonders if it makes sense to be driving these cars they way they were intended?

If you are keeping your FGT for collectable value, it will not happen in your lifetime. They made 4038 of them. There are hundreds of FGT's that have delivery mileage and will remains so from here to when they exchange hands next. There is nothing wrong with a salvage car if it has been repaired correctly.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
There is nothing wrong with a salvage car if it has been repaired correctly.

Yes, a salvage title correctly repaired may be the best value for a driver or track car. But it's price should be reflective of its history and condition.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I had this same discussion earlier today with someone else. I've got to believe that Chris Theodore's PE group that owns Saleen may have their eye on it.