Vibration/Whine at 4000 rpm and above

Andy

GT Owner
Jun 6, 2006
One of my GT's is going out of warranty at the end of the month. I have noise that starts at about 4000 rpm and is only heard under hard acceleration. The car is completely stock. It been taken apart two times and still no success in pinpointing the source of the noise. The last time he wrapped the AC lines and part of the fuel lines with foam tape thinking that would help, but to no avail. All belly pans and exhaust parts have been checked out. Any ideas on what else he can look at. Has there been any motor mount problems? The car will go back in next week for some other minor warranty items. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This noise started last Summer. I'd like to get this taken care of under warranty. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Andy

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Has the oil level (or the overall health for that matter) in your supercharger been checked?

I had a strange vibration that turned out to be a fuel line that was vibrating against the bulkhead. It sounds like the supercharger could use a check up though.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Did you have the half shaft update? Maybe something out of balance or loose.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
" Whine at 4000 rpm and above "

I thought this was about the wife. :rofl :rofl :willy

--

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Supercharger belt?

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Frank ......................come out to Carlisle ............I'll buy ya dinner. :thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Doug, I'd love to, but I'll be out of the country.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
It?

It been taken apart two times and still no success in pinpointing the source of the noise. Andy

Andy, can you be more specific.....what is IT?
The engine, supercharger, car or what?
We need a little more information in order to help you out.

H

HHGT

Sounds like the Rattlesnake syndrome.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Sam, love that quote!

Andy

GT Owner
Jun 6, 2006
Sorry I have been out of pocket the last several of days. The mechanic thinks it is a mechanical vibration. I agree with him. He has checked all the fluid levels. It sounds to me to be coming from the tunnel, he thinks it is coming from the engine compartment. The supercharger belt has been checked. Tim, I will have him check the fuel line. It only does it under hard acceleration. Something vibrating when it making torque? Accufab half shaft bolts were done within the first month of ownership. Any other ideas?
Andy

H

HHGT

I will bet you a beer that if you were to insulate the 2 copper tubes by the fuse box the noise will drastically diminish.

Take off the fuse box cover, go for a ride, take a mechanic with you - left foot with sock off - accelerate and feel the vibration.....

H

HHGT

Sam, love that quote!

How are the islands my friend. I am due for a vacation..... Off to the UAE late June, perhaps in August.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
How are the islands my friend. I am due for a vacation..... Off to the UAE late June, perhaps in August.

The good news for you is there are plenty of rooms and value (read discounts) has never been greater. The bad news for us in the industry is...the same.

August would be perfect. Let me know when you have some dates. Looking forward to seeing you.