Very rare cobra rumored to be for sale

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I would be interested in coming out for B-J. I would love to see Harley. He is the guy who got me interested in buying sports cars again having found and inspected my first Ferrari for me in Scottsdale. I would also love to catch a glimpse of Chassis #1075! What a piece of history. Do you know if the GT40 camera car used in the filming of the movie LeMans in still in the area as well?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ChipBeck said:
As there will be many GT owners at B-J we should have a mini Rally. Thoughts??

Chip

Been reading my mind, why don't you set up a dinner? I bet you will get a great turn out. Let me know if I can help in anyway? We had 38 folks at the Palms at Sema, should expect the same or more in Scottsdale. :banana :banana

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
ChipBeck said:
Greetings Red,
Harley Cluxton sold #1075 years ago but the car is still here in Scottsdale. His son attended a GT tech day at PhxGT's home some months back. We discussed having a dinner and taking photos of our cars with 1075 and 1074 which is here as well. Get out here during B-J and meet him then. As there will be many GT owners at B-J we should have a mini Rally. Thoughts??

Chip

Thanks for the update on 1075. You guys at the forum are very plugged in; a great depth of knowledge here.

Was not planning on attending BJ, because it would be like inviting an alcoholic to a wine-tasting party; but mebbe I should re-consider. Is the Ritz Carlton anywhere near the auction site? If not where should a person try to stay?

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
There are many hotels in north Scottsdale. The Ritz is farther away than you want. I would suggest the Princess or the new Westin at Kierland. The best time to go to B-J is a Thurs. trip to avoid crowds and get close to the cars. Then return Saturday afternoon. You have to battle the crowds, but the electricity about 4pm at the auction block is amazing.

We could probably get Harley involved in one of our get togethers. It would be great to get him to open up his car collection for us. It is an amazing place. Everyone coulld get an up close look at all the carbon fiber pieces he is manufacturing.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Sounds great, I am staying as always at the Biltmore and will attend the RM event as well. Russo and Steele is becoming more my cup of tea than the BJ free for all.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Thank you PHX GT. I must say the resorts around Scottsdale are really fabulous - we usually go to Maui but have to find time to visit Scottsdale again, so many great places to stay.

Was just at the GTC site, but there is not much there - although there are some neat old photos and articles, and some slightly used pistons!

Can you give us an update on the carbon fiber pieces? Is he making just diffusers, or other body parts?

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
It is better to just call GTC and ask them about what else they plan to do. Right now, all I know about is the 4 piece aero package and the front trunk lid in carbon fiber.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
bony said:
Been reading my mind, why don't you set up a dinner? I bet you will get a great turn out. Let me know if I can help in anyway? We had 38 folks at the Palms at Sema, should expect the same or more in Scottsdale. :banana :banana
Bony,
I'll do it. As I have 50 years of experience clogging my arteries at fine restaurants in Scottsdale I am uniquely qualified. Don & Charlie's on Camelback Road just off Scottsdale Road offers the finest ribs and steaks in AZ and the owner, Mr. Don Carson is a friend of mine. I suggest a dinner Thursday night (my preference) or Friday night (if that's what everybody else wants). I will arrange for a separate parking area for owners driving their GT's during dinner and will loan the group my stores armed guard to watch the cars.

Here in town we have BlueMoose, PhxGT, AZGT, and me. Add Bony and we have the nucleus of a fine (or at least memorable) evening. :cheers Who else is interested and who might be bringing their GT??

Chip

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ChipBeck said:
Bony,
I'll do it. As I have 50 years of experience clogging my arteries at fine restaurants in Scottsdale I am uniquely qualified. Don & Charlie's on Camelback Road just off Scottsdale Road offers the finest ribs and steaks in AZ and the owner, Mr. Don Carson is a friend of mine. I suggest a dinner Thursday night (my preference) or Friday night (if that's what everybody else wants). I will arrange for a separate parking area for owners driving their GT's during dinner and will loan the group my stores armed guard to watch the cars.

Here in town we have BlueMoose, PhxGT, AZGT, and me. Add Bony and we have the nucleus of a fine (or at least memorable) evening. :cheers Who else is interested and who might be bringing their GT??

Chip

Hello Chip,
Your suggestion is great, we started a thread yesterday on January in Arizona. Florida Chris, Gt Guys, Cobra Jeff and others are already in, what needs to be decided is the day and time. I am open and agreeable to go with the flow. Your in charge... we are in good hands :biggrin
God Bless America,
daniel

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
Was the driver of the Cosby car really killed?

I have been following the trail of this car for years. I believe the car was black when Jeff Burgy photographed it. I think he told me that it was
borrowed by a mechanic testing it, who then crashed it.
I know it's water under the bridge (pun intended) but I am curious to know
city and state it happened
when it happened
whether he crashed it into the ocean or a river/lake
whether he was killed
I have seen the website where the mechanic who was fixing it posted his pictures. It is crazy that he is restoring the twin supercharger drive system when the rest of the car is still rusty!
Anyhow if anybody knows the details, love to hear them.
I also saw a black 427 Cobra with a SOHC in it back in 1977 at the SAAC convention, I was wondering if this was the same car, maybe retrofitted with that when the owner at the time didn't want to run the twin superchargers.

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
On the fate of the owner of the Cosby twin Paxton Cobra

For those still interested in the twin Paxton 427 Cobras, of which Shelby American built two, I looked it up in the old edition of the Shelby Registry, published by SAAC
and it says there that the owner in 1969 of the twin Paxton 427 Cobra built for Cosby
was named Tony Maxey and he was killed in the car on Pacific Coast Highway.
I always heard a mechanic was killed testing it. Which is true?
And I heard the crash happened at Lake Tahoe, as the car went into the water.
As far as the site where the guy is restoring the engine (Wirthit) the car looks rusty but Gordon Gimbel the Cobra restorer told me the car was a bundle of twisted tubing when he bought it from a junkyard,not as intact as the car looks on the website of the guy who said he re-installed the twin superchargers on that old website.
One time I found a picture of the car on the net, with normal 427 hood, painted black, in a collection in Pennsylvania. Is that where CSX3303 resides today?

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Shelby's Cobra

Bitzman -

You are getting your Cobras mixed up. Shelby's Twin-Paxton cars never had Cammers in them. The black Cobra with a 427 SOHC you saw at SAAC I in Oakland, CA, was CSX3208. It is now red, still has a Cammer in it, and resides in the Detroit area.

Shelby's Twin-Paxton car is CSX3015 - it has been thrashed over the years, and restored at least four times that I'm aware of - but, it has never been totaled. The car Rick Wurth restored in the early eighties was Shelby's car - NOT Cosby's. This is the car that is coming to B-J. It WAS black a couple times, and was repainted blue a couple times, too. It was shown at SAAC 20 in Charlotte in blue; at SAAC 25 at LimeRock in black; and at SAAC 26 in Charlotte in black. It was owned by a collector in PA. It is now owned by a collector in AZ, and was recently restored to it's original blue color.

Cosby's Twin Paxton car, CSX3303, was destroyed when Tony Maxey went off PCH with it (a fairly substantial portion of PCH skirts the Pacific Ocean, but, you already know that). The mangled pieces ended up in England, where a new body and frame were made for it. That car has not been seen for some time.

regards,

cobrajeff

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
cobrajeff said:
Bitzman -

You are getting your Cobras mixed up. Shelby's Twin-Paxton cars never had Cammers in them. The black Cobra with a 427 SOHC you saw at SAAC I in Oakland, CA, was CSX3208. It is now red, still has a Cammer in it, and resides in the Detroit area.

Shelby's Twin-Paxton car is CSX3015 - it has been thrashed over the years, and restored at least four times that I'm aware of - but, it has never been totaled. The car Rick Wurth restored in the early eighties was Shelby's car - NOT Cosby's. This is the car that is coming to B-J. It WAS black a couple times, and was repainted blue a couple times, too. It was shown at SAAC 20 in Charlotte in blue; at SAAC 25 at LimeRock in black; and at SAAC 26 in Charlotte in black. It was owned by a collector in PA. It is now owned by a collector in AZ, and was recently restored to it's original blue color.

Cosby's Twin Paxton car, CSX3303, was destroyed when Tony Maxey went off PCH with it (a fairly substantial portion of PCH skirts the Pacific Ocean, but, you already know that). The mangled pieces ended up in England, where a new body and frame were made for it. That car has not been seen for some time.

regards,

cobrajeff

The preview booklet for Barrett Jackson features CSX3015 on the cover and inside left cover. Send me an email with your mailing address and I will forward it to you for the BURGY LIBRARY :biggrin

Meanwhile, not that it is any of my biz, but is Wally paying well to be his research librarian?? I am a member of National and NorCal SAAC, we don't have a forum,
but if we did Wally would not be welcome... :ack Understand Shelby, SAAC, Ford and GT Team has declared him persona non grata...
He is on this site to sell books, and pimp for information.

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Bony, did his book ever go to press?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SteveA said:
Bony, did his book ever go to press?

No idea, no chance that I buy one, maybe I should put the Shelby Wildlife book on ebay and see what it will bring...... :thumbsdow