Valet Parking

mlane

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 27, 2008
Coto de Caza, CA
I just received delivery of my GT40 and have a quick question- (sorry if its silly but I'm as green as they come with the car)
What is the proper etiquette when parking at the valet-
do you let them park it?
do you tell them thanks but I will do it?
etc...
Thanks
Mlane

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ppppppht! to "etiquette"!!!!!!

PARK THE DARN THING YOURSELF AND TIP THE VALET HANDSOMELY TO ENSURE HE KEEPS YO-YOS AWAY FROM IT!!!

Last edited:
H

HHGT

+1,000,000 follow EPs advice

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
By no means don't EVER let a valet park your car. I can tell you several first-hand stories about bad incidents that happened within this GT Forum community within the last year alone!

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Most of the places I go they just park it up front. They literally have to drive it about 20-40 feet from the entrace so I let them do it.

If they have to take it to some back lot thats not visible, id be hesitant.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I wouldn't worry about upsetting the delicate balance of an 18 year old kid who's idea of parking your car is dumping the clutch (after he has ground the gears for a bit) and doing burnouts the minute you leave.

....and once he does park it (too close to the car next to it....dinging the doors), he will then bump his head on the door overhang getting out and knock the door out of whack.....then slam the door because he is pissed that some idiot designer would make the doors that way.

He will then lean over the back deck to see the engine...at the same time grazing the paint with his Metallica belt buckle.

Finally, when you get the car back with damage, he will look at you with a dumb expression and tell you to go talk to his boss (who's somewhere in the kitchen drinking ) who will point you to the disclaimer on the parking ticket that is too small to read with these old eyes. :ack

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I wouldn't worry about upsetting the delicate balance of an 18 year old kid who's idea of parking your car is dumping the clutch (after he has ground the gears for a bit) and doing burnouts the minute you leave.

AND DOING SO IN 3RD GEAR 'CAUSE HE "THOUGHT" HE WAS IN 1ST. :mad

(Hello, Stillen? 'You have a FGT clutch sittin' on the shelf?)

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Ditto. I would NEVER let a valet park anything but a daily driver. I typically over tip them to keep it in front and keep on eye on it. Most establishments would be happy to have such a fine gal parked in front.

mlane

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 27, 2008
Coto de Caza, CA
Thanks guys- I appreciate the input!
I definitely know what I will do now.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Ask them if it's okay if you park it yourself (which it is, and they typically understand), tip them, and keep the key in your pocket. Too many crazy stories out there...

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I did all of the above at one of the nicest restaurants in Austin. I came out after dinner and some joker was pushing his hand on the nose of the car to watch it bounce back. No valets in sight. The car needs a Jetsons button that we can push and it folds into a briefcase so we can carry it in with us.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I am just as paranoid as the rest are, but I tend to agree with Kumar also. I ask them where they are going to park it and if they have parked one before.....preparing to give the door speech. :biggrin As long as they are ADULTS at high end hotels/restaurants and the car is moving within my line of sight I will let them park it......under my ever watchful paranoid eye and with a great tip in advance and when I get it back.

My experiences have been the car gets put right near the entrance (can you think of better advertising that a GT parked out front) or at one place they moved it from one side of the fountain to the other. Each time there was plenty of space left around the car and no problems. But I would never let it be driven out of my sight. :cheers

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
-Go out once;

-Get hot babe with new GT.

-Stay home from then on.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
If you let anyone valet your gal sooner or later you likely are going to get what you asked for. Bad move, I mean REAL BAD. They say "I'm sorry" and your stuck and leave with the heart ache.

:frown

No way, no how will any pimply faced valet ever get their paws on my gal.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
-Go out once;

-Get hot babe with new GT.

-Stay home from then on.

Is this a quote from EP? :lol:rofl:lol

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Uh.

You actually park your car and walk away from it?!

Wow.

Mrs. Garage Queen.

(actually, I'm still tickled pink that we took a GT to the rally this year!!)

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If it must be moved to a Valet parking area, offer them a ride in the passenger seat and drive it yourself to the location. That way, you can inform them of the extra space required to open the doors, and have a friendly walk back to the entrance with them.

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Ask the attendant if he ever saw "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", and regardless of the answer, park it yourself, keep the keys and tip the valet. :cheers

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
On the trip home from Rally III, the wife and I stayed overnight at the Hyatt Regency in Albuquerque, NM. Pulled in the front drive, tipped the valets and they let me park the car out of the way in front of the hotel. The car drew quite a crowd of people out front....all burly looking guys. Went to the bar and a guy there asks me if I'm a policeman??? Turns out the national police, SWAT team, CSI etc. convention is in town. They all thought I was one of them because of the "Police Interceptor" badge on the back of my GT. Told them my car was a special one-off hot pursuit vehicle only used in Texas! My wife and I got a real giggle about the whole scene. The car was safe out front that night.

OilMaggott

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 19, 2005
Hell I almost have a heart attack every year in Texas when I need an inspection sticker and I am required by law to allow some underinsured station perform the driving part of the test and drive around the block out of my eyesight. Valet Parking....once a year is enough stress for me. BTW guys my new Corvette ZR1 came off the line this week and should be delivered in a few weeks. It will be nice to see how it compares to the FGT.:thumbsup