updating standard radio to newer unit with aux in and bluetooth

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Interesting, so even if someone never used it, they still want it.

I'll just say, that there are more users of that technology/feature than OEM's believe. Interesting to actually attend auto shows nationwide and LISTEN to peoples feedback for hours on end with regard to features, design, colors, order/dealer processes, even tire choices on vehicles.

And given the transaction price of new vehicles, I think it shouldn't be a huge surprise.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
Special K came up with this fix a few years ago. It’s an easy installation plus you get to keep the OEM radio.
BD730A39-B260-4FD9-B69B-7EAE79839BD9.jpeg

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
ok - I will 'bite"...
1. where do you slip in the CD itself to play and? where is the CD slot?
2. how do you wire this stuff into the New GT audio? Or does it plug into one of the two USB ports on the console?
andy (ajb)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Did you see my post on page prior? Under a hundred bucks, a CD player with a bluetooth output.

ok - I will 'bite"...
1. where do you slip in the CD itself to play and? where is the CD slot?
2. how do you wire this stuff into the New GT audio? Or does it plug into one of the two USB ports on the console?
andy (ajb)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ron - thanks. .Looking at the unit I assume I would plug a UBS jack into the RH side with the "musical Note" icon of the unit you recommend.
-then find an unused FM station frequency on the Ford GT radio and set it.
-then I need a portable CD player to plug into the other end of the cord with an output jack.
-do you have a CD player to recommend.?
or am I looking at this incorrectly.
andy (ajb)
everything works with this unit.Plus you get Bluetooth with your phone

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Indeed they have, and customer feedback is EXACTLY the opposite of OEM desire to de-content this particular feature.

And on this smae note, times have changed and customers DO notice when an OEM's elect to de-content and do NOT reduce price accordingly. "Market research" being done by self fulfilling direction /"tell me what i want to hear" approach.
The "whiz kids" in product development don't understand that being "state of the art" millennia current maybe wonderful for the under 30 crowd, but the over 30 crowd buys more vehicles. Point in fact : new GT, and most other Ford products, has all the interconnectivity based upon "Smart" and "Apple I" phones. And I for one refuse to activate the system due to Ford not being clear cut on data ownership and how the data will be used. General Manager said that the folks in the ivory tower are holding back a portion of thier commissions until I, and many others that don't have the right cell phones, sign on. Total BS as far as I am concerned. Same goes for radios that don't have knobs for volume and tuning. Point in fact: Last few times a rented a car those radios had both.

Reactions: 2112

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Ok Andy. Great. I found and opened the link you supplied. Many ,many units for sale.
Which one do you recommend that will play thru my 2017 NFGT, 2020 FSeries, 2020 Edge.
Thank you!
Andy(ajb)

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Here you go!

Attachments

• IMG_3344.JPG
    IMG_3344.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I dont have a direct suggestion. Just the fact that there are portable CD players with a Bluetooth transmitter. They are cheap enough might be the case to just try one, and see what happens.

Also found a player that connects USB and then is part of the sync system (controlled on screen), but they are called out my model, and most are for an 8" screen. Were some for the smaller screen, but shocker... no GT listed. For example:

Ok Andy. Great. I found and opened the link you supplied. Many ,many units for sale.
Which one do you recommend that will play thru my 2017 NFGT, 2020 FSeries, 2020 Edge.
Thank you!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Great dedication!!!

Here you go!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Ok Andy, thanks I will try one.
Andy (ajb)

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Ron - thanks. .Looking at the unit I assume I would plug a UBS jack into the RH side with the "musical Note" icon of the unit you recommend.
-then find an unused FM station frequency on the Ford GT radio and set it.
-then I need a portable CD player to plug into the other end of the cord with an output jack.
-do you have a CD player to recommend.?
or am I looking at this incorrectly.
andy (ajb)
Andy, you can always “rip” your CDs into music files and then stream them from your smartphone. It’s not difficult with a computer equipped with a CD drive. On a Mac, just insert the CD and drag the files into Music. Or, you can always get an Apple Music subscription and have access to nearly everything out there... 😊

06VistaBlueGT

Aug 30, 2006
Andy, you can always “rip” your CDs into music files and then stream them from your smartphone. It’s not difficult with a computer equipped with a CD drive. On a Mac, just insert the CD and drag the files into Music. Or, you can always get an Apple Music subscription and have access to nearly everything out there... 😊

You could also just put the mp3 files on a large USB flashdrive and have all your songs in a small portable storage. Them when you plug it into the USB port of any of your cars, you can just tell the SYNC system what you want to play. For example, you can hit the voice (face) button, and once prompted, say, "USB" them when it confirms, say "Play Billy Joel" (example). Any Billy Joel songs will be played in alphabetical order. 👍

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
If you’re just looking for occasional tunes I have a friend bringing a new speaker to market soon. It’ll go from the garage (or house) to the outdoors / car easily as it’s Bluetooth with on board battery, a strap and very good sound plus unique connectivity to additional speakers. Size similar to the smaller HEOS and Sonos that I use at home. Maybe he will do a Forum package special if there’s interest.

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Hey Centerpunch - what is your plan to find a wiring connector plug to mate with the vehicle harness? I am on the quest right now with no luck.

Attachments

• IMG_5862[1].JPG
    IMG_5862[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Hey Centerpunch - what is your plan to find a wiring connector plug to mate with the vehicle harness? I am on the quest right now with no luck.

Haven’t done mine yet. Maybe this is right?

Is your car a non-mac car? Mine is, and so was Karl’s:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Here you go!

I need one of those. I too have a house full of McIntosh (& I am 3000 miles away).

I also love the McIntosh in my car. I did do the sub relocate tho.

I also prefer CD's. Even with the best of DACs, you are still polishing a turd.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Several years ago, we had a thread on adding a bluetooth adapter to the Mac radio. More info there if you want to review it.
As for DAC vs. CD: well, if you listen in a quiet room, you can sometimes hear the difference, but in a car, even a quiet one? Nah. In the noisy cabin of even a stock FGT? Fuggedaboudit. Go for the Bluetooth adapter and listen to the music from your phone, complete with favorites, playlists, etc. I never use the CD player anymore, unless it's a CD that I don't have on my phone.

Reactions: Brombear

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Does the standard radio have an AUX input? If not, an FM modulator is the only way... and they are less than ideal.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I must say I love the Mac and I also love Bluetooth I found this unit to transform it into Bluetooth at a fraction of the price and the quality is superb

Attachments

• 5239D2F1-D232-468A-AD50-1D15AB67A527.jpeg
    5239D2F1-D232-468A-AD50-1D15AB67A527.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 6