Up & right during acceleration...

Tomcat

GT Owner
My 2006 GT (with 46,000) is starting to (ever so slightly) pull right as the nose comes up under acceleration...and comes back down to the left when I let off the gas (but not under braking as far as I can tell).
I am searching the forum BUT thought that some of the higher mileage members could point me to a likely culprit and potential remedy.
Ps-the alignment was checked and spot on.
Pps-Bridgestone tires and stock/original everything else (suspension-wise).
Thanks!

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Rear tire pressure?

Tomcat

GT Owner
Rear tire pressure?
I will check...I normally keep 30 psi in the "stones".

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I will check...I normally keep 30 psi in the "stones".
let us know if they are uneven?

Reactions: twobjshelbys

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I think i once had similar problem. Cant recall issue. Maybe something on rear suspension? I bet kendall or rich will know.

Reactions: reiner

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Any shocks leaking? Wonder what the shocks would show on a shock dyno.....

Reactions: 2112

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
had a similar problem many years ago -internally broken ball joint in the left rear. This was not visible from the outside.

Reactions: 2112

Tomcat

GT Owner
let us know if they are uneven?
Even at 30 psi per side.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Thanks all...looking for some way to test/inspect too.

Tomcat

GT Owner
had a similar problem many years ago -internally broken ball joint in the left rear. This was not visible from the outside.
How did you find/discover the break?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Slight yaw to one side on acceleration and to the other on deceleration strongly indicates the rear is out of alignment, or there are worn parts that allow the misalignment under the forces of acceleration and deceleration. Have you changed the rubber boots on the rear "tie rods"? How about the other joints with rubber boots that split and leak and allow dirt to get in?

Reactions: reiner and jaxgt

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
I would be checking the rear tie rods for wear - movement in these ends will affect the rear toe.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Rear toe links were culprit for mine years ago

Tomcat

GT Owner
Slight yaw to one side on acceleration and to the other on deceleration strongly indicates the rear is out of alignment, or there are worn parts that allow the misalignment under the forces of acceleration and deceleration. Have you changed the rubber boots on the rear "tie rods"? How about the other joints with rubber boots that split and leak and allow dirt to get in?
Alignment is checked/good...but all rubber is original. I will inspect for leaks/rips/tears.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I would be checking the rear tie rods for wear - movement in these ends will affect the rear toe.
I'm "feeling" tie rods...

Tomcat

GT Owner
Rear toe links were culprit for mine years ago
Thanks found your previous post...do you know if they are available for replacement or did someone develop replacement "wear components"?
Ps-Go Duval :)

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner
So, are we talking about:
Alignment Camber / Toe Lateral Link - Ford (4G7Z-5B551-A) same # left and right
or
Link-stabilizer bar Ford (4G7Z-5C486-RH and 4G7Z-5C487-LH )

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
It's the Toe Lateral Link - Ford (4G7Z-5B551-A) - not sure on availability right now but we've certainly bought them in the past

Tomcat

GT Owner
It's the Toe Lateral Link - Ford (4G7Z-5B551-A) - not sure on availability right now but we've certainly bought them in the past
Good afternoon, Thank you! Great community!

Reactions: GT101

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I agree with my esteemed colleagues here. First, I would have checked the air pressures in the rear tires (which you did). Next, I would suspect the rear toe links. It may require more than a visual inspection, however, because I think the boots will look bad no matter what, but the link itself could still be ok.... These toe link boots on virtually ALL GT's we're seeing has disintegrated. It is the rubber that was used and really has nothing to do with how the car is driven... time just takes its toll. So, I'd bet money that the boots LOOK horrible on both sides... but it doesn't necessarily mean that the joint is compromised. I'd get the rear of the car in the air and then try to turn each rear tire and see if and slop can be felt, heard, or seen.

For new toe link boots, Dave (GT101) is your man. We will likely place a larger order for these soon so we can have some available here in the States.

Reactions: GT101