Turn Signal

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Hi All.
Yesterday my left turn signal started blinking twice as fast on the dash as the right.
People behind the car confirmed that the signal still worked but was blinking twice as fast.
In the old days, that meant that a bulb was out.
Not sure what that means here.
Insight appreciated.
My Best,
Mark

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
What about the front one?

I had to pull one of my front ones and reseat it in the socket.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Thanks GG!
Will check that.
Best,
Mark

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
What about the front one?

I had to pull one of my front ones and reseat it in the socket.

If that is the problem, then while you're at it, put some conductive lubricant on the bulb base - to help prevent it from happening again.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yep, it's the front one. A temporary solution to is SLAP the headlight with an open hand and it will start work again - for awhile. The issue is that the wire legs of the bulb have become almost black with oxidation. Remove the bulb and scrape the oxidation off with a exacto knife or similar and then smear a good quality dielectric grease onto the wire conductors. This will revive the bulb for several years to come.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Yep, it's the front one. A temporary solution to is SLAP the headlight with an open hand and it will start work again - for awhile. The issue is that the wire legs of the bulb have become almost black with oxidation. Remove the bulb and scrape the oxidation off with a exacto knife or similar and then smear a good quality dielectric grease onto the wire conductors. This will revive the bulb for several years to come.

Riddle me this, Kendall. I had the dreaded passenger side front blinker go out on me. After Scott and Ryan installed the Ohlins in your garage at Spring Mtn, the problem went away. Never even touched the headlight/bulb.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Riddle me this, Kendall. I had the dreaded passenger side front blinker go out on me. After Scott and Ryan installed the Ohlins in your garage at Spring Mtn, the problem went away. Never even touched the headlight/bulb.

To install the Scott's Ohlin shocks up front - I'm sure they were vibrating the a bit of the suspension and forward part of the chassis. This could easily have allowed the bulb to re-make contact in the socket. If it comes back, try the solutions proffered.

(Leaving the drought of Bakersfield, how are you surviving the floods of Houston?)

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
To install the Scott's Ohlin shocks up front - I'm sure they were vibrating the a bit of the suspension and forward part of the chassis. This could easily have allowed the bulb to re-make contact in the socket. If it comes back, try the solutions proffered.

(Leaving the drought of Bakersfield, how are you surviving the floods of Houston?)

I was actually going to have Ryan pull the fender liner to pull and clean the contacts on the bulb at that time. But completely slipped everyone's mind. By the time I remembered, I realized that the blinker was working again.

Ralphie, I lived an hour north of Bakersfield. A fate much worse than death. From one extreme to another though. It's been almost nonstop rain or threat of rain since I got here a little over a week ago. My street completely flooded on my move-in day. Fortunately, the water never got close to the house. Nice to not have to worry about my water usage for once, but this is getting ridiculous.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Thanks guys.
Will look at it over the weekend,
Best,
Mark

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
yep these cars are tough when it comes to electrical. most of the circuits in these cars are triggered by the completion of ground and not the hot as in the typical older cars plus the aluminum chassis makes things interesting. purchased a GT that sat on the top level of a parking solutions hoist and was never started for over 7 years 50' off the gulf coast. while it was only a 1900 mile car, every connection in the car had to be taken apart (including the dash) cleaned, electrical contact lubed and re-installed before anything worked. have another GT with an electrical glitch where the turn signals won't work at all but the flashers and brake lights do. still hunting down the gremlin

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
My front turn signals were also intermittent before going out completely.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Well, I jinxed myself. After a bumpy drive today with Simon and MTV8, the mirror tap connections to my V1 jarred loose AND the passenger side blinker went out again. Tried giving the headlight a few swift taps to no avail. Not happy that I'll need to have the fender liners pulled for such a stupid issue.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
See if you can source the 2 piece liners. At least that way, it will be easier for future access.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It shouldn't be a big deal to remove the liners in Houston. Just do it in the summer when the heat softens them up. I found getting push pins a PITA more than getting the liner out. Use tape, remove all of the push pins and other fasteners, lower the corner of the side skirt, punch them liner up and inward to remove from the fender's lip, coil the liner up to reduce it's diameter and rotate them out of the space you made lowering the side skirt. It helps if you have a lift so that you can optimize your leverage.

Last edited:

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I totally agree the inner liners are no big deal. the key is to just cut off the heads of all the plastic push pins and buy new ones before re-installing. not that big of deal. unplug the headlamps and clean the connectors and apply the good electrical lube. jmo