Transport of GT's to Austin from Central California

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
As always the killer SycoGT photos! I can't wait to see the photos you'll be taking at the Rally!

Ed

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
As always the killer SycoGT photos! I can't wait to see the photos you'll be taking at the Rally!

Ed

I picked up a new Sony camera, a couple days ago, just for the Rally! Something smaller than my Nikon D4, so I can carry it everywhere, instead of lugging a large full frame camera and set of lenses around. I just need to get up to speed on the Sony menu system. (Something to do on the plane ride over)

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Ping Pong, Rallies On!

Rally11-04020_zpskvifsgct.jpg

Locked and Loaded in Tustin at 7:19am, this morning.

Rally11-04018_zps1dyfavks.jpg
[/URL]

"You will never, ever, get in front of my GT" - Ed Sims, famous last words.

Rally11-04010_zpsqhwg74dn.jpg

looking good, see you guys soon

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Ed

+1

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I picked up a new Sony camera, a couple days ago, just for the Rally! Something smaller than my Nikon D4, so I can carry it everywhere, instead of lugging a large full frame camera and set of lenses around. I just need to get up to speed on the Sony menu system. (Something to do on the plane ride over)

Which Sony model? The images are almost Canon-like in their color rendition. Like everything, technology advances and cameras with smaller sensors but increased pixel count (smaller pixels) have caught up to the full frame DSLRs. My D700 is a workhorse but smaller cameras are doing as well or better now.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Which Sony model? The images are almost Canon-like in their color rendition. Like everything, technology advances and cameras with smaller sensors but increased pixel count (smaller pixels) have caught up to the full frame DSLRs. My D700 is a workhorse but smaller cameras are doing as well or better now.

Tony -

I love the D700! My very first digital Nikon after shooting Nikon film bodies over the years, even a Nikormat as a child. Have long awaited for Nikon to release a modern day equivalent of the D700. Small size, but pro capability. I regret selling the D700, but sold it to move up to a refurbished Nikon D4 SLR.

Of course, these Forum images are downsized to about 2MB to load quickly and they look nothing like the original files by the time they are uploaded, downsized, and linked to. I'm almost embarrassed to put them up, but people seem to like them, and I appreciate the compliment(s).

These are from a Sony RX10 III, built in lens camera (no lens interchangeability). The Sony interfaces are generally counter-intuitive to me, but I do tend to like the files.

This sensor is smaller than even an APS-C sensor, and significantly smaller than a full frame sensor.

It's a 20MP 1"-type stacked CMOS sensor.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tony -

I love the D700! My very first digital Nikon after shooting Nikon film bodies over the years, even a Nikormat as a child. Have long awaited for Nikon to release a modern day equivalent of the D700. Small size, but pro capability. I regret selling the D700, but sold it to move up to a refurbished Nikon D4 SLR.

Of course, these Forum images are downsized to about 2MB to load quickly and they look nothing like the original files by the time they are uploaded, downsized, and linked to. I'm almost embarrassed to put them up, but people seem to like them, and I appreciate the compliment(s).

These are from a Sony RX10 III, built in lens camera (no lens interchangeability). The Sony interfaces are generally counter-intuitive to me, but I do tend to like the files.

This sensor is smaller than even an APS-C sensor, and significantly smaller than a full frame sensor.

It's a 20MP 1"-type stacked CMOS sensor.

I was stuck with about $10K (in modern money) of Nikon glass that goes back to the 70s, and all of it works with the D700. I like the color saturation of the Canon pro series better but couldn't afford to reset all the lenses.

D700 used the same sensor as D4 as I recall, but without all the hundreds of menu items and 1+lb of additional weight. My D700 survived three Grand Canyon river trips (with a trip to NY for a good cleaning after each one.) Each trip is 16 days of sand so thick you eat it.

I have a D300s as a backup/second body. It uses the same batteries and of course lenses, and the menus are identical. The 300s also can do movies. I used it some at Rally 9 but used the GoPro more.

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
We call the Canon's color signature = Bride friendly. Meaning that most brides would appreciate the color saturation over the more technical and cooler Nikon colors. I don't shoot weddings, but I do shoot some fashion, and I have no problems or concerns with the Nikon color. I also prefer it for commercial products and architecture. I shot the Canon 10D, 5D Mark I (Sold to Bony), and Canon 5D Mark II. Then I wanted one of the better wide angle zoom lenses, which happened to be the Nikkor 14-24 lens. So I bought the D700 and shot both the Nikon D700 and Canon 5DII on assignments. Eventually, I came away quite impressed with the design of the Nikon, sold all my Canon gear and went with Nikon.

The D700 is like a baby D4, which is a good thing. If the baby D5 equivalent existed today, I would buy it and use it on this trip, and probably use it quite often beyond that.

For those wondering how I could possibly let my GT be a bottom bunk, rest assured, she is clean and covered. At least that's what I keep telling myself. :)

Rally11-04028_zpsjbd9jeh9.jpg

Last edited: