Transmission oil catch can ?

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
My mechanic says the GT has some overflow

ANybody make a can ? Otherwise we'll do it racer style & use a soda can w zip ties :lol

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
There are a couple different breather/overflow models. I just installed one from Guyett Performance - (559) 349-3570 - and It's really trick. Looks factory too.

Chip

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is a long thread on this describing many optioins and available units. Please do a search.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

ANybody make a can ? Otherwise we'll do it racer style & use a soda can w zip ties :lol

T&A Shocks make a nice Transmission breather. . I also have a seperate catch can for the crankcase ventilation.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

Beer Can are for racers. Soda cans are for show cars.

I have a Sapporo can in my Datsun 510 race car. The Tech guys always smile.:cheers

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
What about getting a cooler for your trans? That stopped it for me.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
What about getting a cooler for your trans? That stopped it for me.
Not having a transaxle cooler is inconceivable.

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
Here's what our transaxle breather and oil separators look like installed on the S/C cars. The TT versions are different but function the same. You can see those on Chip's car at the rally or in an upcoming post.:thumbsup

FGT_AOS_002.jpg

FGT_AOS_001.jpg

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I am happy with my T&A breather.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Transaxle breather - addresses the symptom. Transaxle cooler - addresses the problem. Simple as that.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Transaxle breather - addresses the symptom. Transaxle cooler - addresses the problem. Simple as that.

both are needed

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

Kendal, agreed.:wink

No problem whatsoever with a transaxle cooler.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
both are needed

Heard that before too - usually just nod and smile. Our experience - based on maybe 30-50 different GT's is that without the transaxle cooler the transaxles are always damp with fluid and typically there a little 3-6" puddle of fluid on the belly pan. Once we have installed a cooler on these cars - there is never again weeping or a puddle. So, while I respect your individual experiences, I can say that with our transaxale cooler, I have never personally witnessed a need for a breather.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think I installed the Ford Racing cooler. After a day at the track I notice the transaxle has signs of oil around the breather, that's just my 2 cents.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I think I installed the Ford Racing cooler. After a day at the track I notice the transaxle has signs of oil around the breather, that's just my 2 cents.

I, too, had this experience - although it may have been caused by the improper assembly of the breather to the transaxle at Ford's assembly line. Long after installing the Ford Racing cooler, upon disassembly, I found that a flat washer was placed between the transaxle and the factory breather's O-ring, allowing weepage between the transaxle housing and the flat washer.. By this time, however, I had purchased the T&A breather, and assembled it properly with an BUNA-N O-ring AN Adapter. I have never seen any weepage at the housing since that time.

I might also state that the OEM breather is only about ¼" above the housing, so that any fumes are much more likely to escape and settle on the housing due to the close proximity, than with a breather with filter spaced 2 ft. away.

I understand Kendall's point - that no fumes will be present with the cooler in place, however, as I had already bought the breather when I found the flat washer problem, I installed the T&A breather anyway. And, I might add, it looks sooooo OEM and professional with it's chromed top filter that aesthetically it complements the engine compartment. So does Mr. Guyett's filter, as I have seen from the pictures.

Lastly, I will say that I have never seen any weepage at the top of the transaxle with both the Ford Racing (OEM) cooler and the T&A breather in place. It may be overkill, but it sure looks good and performs flawlessly

eg1985

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Fresno, CA
:agree:
We have seen half a dozen or so cars in our shop that had the cooler installed and yet still had some seepage from the OE breather even though we had cleaned the transaxle case and diffuser panels at an earlier point in time. This indicated that there still was some seepage even with a cooler installed. This has not been the case on each and every car though probably due to whether the car was tracked, oil level, etc.

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
I think you're on to something regarding the tracked cars; my red car has both trans cooler and T/A trans breather, the white car has a trans cooler and oem breather. Both cars are identical in every other way. The white car never had a problem with weeping/seepage when road driven and I thought their was no reason for installing a breather/catch can. After it's first track appearance when pulling the pans low and behold I had a seepage from the transaxle.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Interestingly enough I have also seen some trans fluid weep out of the transaxle in completely random spots. I asked around and was basically told that casting imperfection can allow fluid to weep out. Who knew?