Transmission Drain Bolt Sealant

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
I've searched the threads on transmission fluid change and did not see what the recommended sealer to be used on the threads of the drain plugs. Looks white and is somewhat elastic. Thanks for your help. DJ.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Teflon tape

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
Thank you.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Shadowman suggested I use this stuff

5kKP1Wx3QKA_ONyAyeYNlNP_uPwDzMFLlkeDuUXM8oku3jQz1r8INt_oFFNWQ49yBXes6nKxhNQiDUhY9xnXms-Lg8Vkcjd98NCq2I_5LB0R4EQbv3eLHSqt_kp1VfLUapwFtKAO6LZmOn7zXMHuh6O3XzDZn0WSur3fTMkFJbCoFk0ZclFOYIqV7wjL7DJNCk1ltvGfJ47Ix5pwpqpolmP-xfMCtjuE-Ws

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=Gg-yTafhA4vksQPPwaXzCw&ved=0CE0Q8wIwBg#

I use it, it works, but I have mixed feelings about tread sealants. I theory the stuff should only be needed on tapered pipe thread and not be used for flare fittings, oring or crush washer sealed bolts. However the crush washers used on the transaxle are poorly sized and don't seal as well as they should.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
For both water and hydrocarbon (oils) sealing, I use ARP 100-9904 Thread Sealer.

* Teflon based with rust and corrosion inhibitors.
* Effective range: -30° to 55°F.
* Sealant range: 10,000psi (pressure).
* Application: Delivers a flexible leak-proof seal in aluminum, steel, stainless steel and plastic against gasoline, water, coolants, natural gas and LPG.

It's recommended for the cylinder head studs or bolts on BBC engines.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

and not for BB Fords because Ford doesn't drop their head studs into the water jacket. :lol

Sorry, I could not resist. :biggrin

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
and not for BB Fords because Ford doesn't drop their head studs into the water jacket. :lol

Sorry, I could not resist. :biggrin

Yes - that's exactly the reason!! Point is, the ARP thread sealer works damn well. :thumbsup

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yes - that's exactly the reason!! Point is, the ARP thread sealer works damn well. :thumbsup

:biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
...* Effective range: -30° to 55°F.

Only 55F, that is way too low for the transaxle, or anything else for that matter, must be a typo.

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario
Teflon tape

I believe they used liquid teflon, It is commonly used.
Its a very thick white liquid that is applied buy the brush in the cap of the lid. (typically)
When you take your drain plug out you can see it was not a tape but an applied liquid.
sets up like a silicone but with more of a rubbery feel to it.
My .02
Mike

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I believe they used liquid teflon, It is commonly used.
Its a very thick white liquid that is applied buy the brush in the cap of the lid. (typically)
When you take your drain plug out you can see it was not a tape but an applied liquid.
sets up like a silicone but with more of a rubbery feel to it.
My .02
Mike

I stand corrected. Shadowman did tell me to use the liquid Teflon. Sorry 'bout that. ..............though now I have a question - whats the difference between the liquid and the tape as far as applicability?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
For both water and hydrocarbon (oils) sealing, I use ARP 100-9904 Thread Sealer.

* Teflon based with rust and corrosion inhibitors.
* Effective range: -30° to 55°F.
* Sealant range: 10,000psi (pressure).
* Application: Delivers a flexible leak-proof seal in aluminum, steel, stainless steel and plastic against gasoline, water, coolants, natural gas and LPG.

Ralph, I'm glad that you have had good results with this ARP stuff as I can tell you that I ABSOLUTELY HATE this product. Mind you, I am one of the biggest ARP fans on the planet and I love their fasteners, but this sealant in my experience is absolute crap. You may recall that 302 stroker motor I built last year for that orange Bronco. I used this ARP sealant in all of the head studs. Applied the sealant, threaded the stud in, removed the stud and re-applied sealant, and then put the studs in for good. A week or so later when we first fired that motor and brought it up to operating temperature, EVERY damn one of the head studs leaked. EVERY one. Man, I HATE this POS product!

So, now the engine is in the Bronco and I had to take out every head stud, one at a time (PITA for access), and use a SEALANT from Permatex. When we were done, not ONE leak. I will never, ever use or recommend the ARP sealant after my terible experience. They need to stick to fasteners, IMHO.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
............ I will never, ever use or recommend the ARP sealant after my terible experience. They need to stick to fasteners, IMHO.

Any room for equivocation Kendall??:biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Ralph, I'm glad that you have had good results with this ARP stuff as I can tell you that I ABSOLUTELY HATE this product...Man, I HATE this POS product!

Kendall you should read the label before using a product!

Only good up to 55 F. I would say the engine studs are ABOVE that temperature all year long in SoCal. :lol

I think the stuff is only good to use in Alaska and Siberia and if you never start the engine. (Hey that is perfect for EP)

If the USSR used it in all of their military vehicles the cold war would have ended much sooner.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Only good up to 55 F.

Damn it! Mom always said that there were advantages in learning to read. Maybe the stuff is great then. I'd swear it seemed to work fine up through 70 degrees!