Total ignition blackout !

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
I have got a total ignition blackout on the highway. No ignition to all cylinders !
My mechanic who is on holiday told me at a first glance that he doesn't know the cause. Maybe the central unit ??

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It'd be great if it turns out to be something real simple & stupid like a loose wire or 'connector.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
The fusebox is in the passenger footwell. The fuses need to at least be pulled and inspected.

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
No, the mechanic's first glance did not detect one of those things... fuses where inspected & wire connection apparently OK

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Quite a few of us..me included, found out that the ground wires were not making a sound contact.

In my case, it was the ground strap at the frame from the battery. It appeared snug, so I didn't think that this was the culprit at first. All of my electronics died. I disconnected the ground. Waited a few seconds and re-connected. Everything was fine for a short time, then the same thing. I thought it was a dead battery at first (I now keep an 8mm wrench in the car).

Solution - The paint at the frame where the ground is attached from the battery was emery boarded away. Ground re-attached. Everything is fine.

This has been the same solution for several folks in SoCal area.

There is another ground to the engine that you should also consider. A little harder to get to though.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Try the following

stevo,

Try the following:

1. Make sure that your Inertia Fuel Shutoff switch (a.k.a. Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch) did not trip. It's located under the footwell panel on the passenger's side of the car. There is a red button that you press to reset it. Refer to your owner's manual for the precise location of this. Did this occur when you were driving the car, as in hitting a bump real hard? This was a common problem in the early DeLoreans.

2. Your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) may be defective! Also, make sure that you measure 5 volts on one of the three terminals. Another terminal should produce a voltage relative to throttle position. Your mechanic should know all about this.

3. If you have access to an OBD-II scanner, see if you get any codes, as this can be very useful info. Also, the more advanced OBD-II scanners can read the voltage from the Throttle Position Sensor in real-time. Just press on the throttle and watch the voltage increase.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jay
Gtsaver

See GTsaver products at:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Last edited:

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
stevo,

Try the following:

1. Make sure that your Inertia Fuel Shutoff switch (a.k.a. Fuel Pump Shutoff Switch) did not trip. It's located under the footwell panel on the passenger's side of the car. There is a red button that you press to reset it. Refer to your owner's manual for the precise location of this. Did this occur when you were driving the car, as in hitting a bump real hard? This was a common problem in the early DeLoreans.

2. Your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) may be defective! Also, make sure that you measure 5 volts on one of the three terminals. Another terminal should produce a voltage relative to throttle position. Your mechanic should know all about this.

3. If you have access to an OBD-II scanner, see if you get any codes, as this can be very useful info. Also, the more advanced OBD-II scanners can read the voltage from the Throttle Position Sensor in real-time. Just press on the throttle and watch the voltage increase.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jay
Gtsaver

See GTsaver products at:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

tks I'll do that on Tuesday next. I have a SCT Livewire, I'll see if I get a code.
It happened under full trottle. The engine stopped all of a sudden. Battery is connected as engine starter is working.

I'll keep u posted

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
Quite a few of us..me included, found out that the ground wires were not making a sound contact.

In my case, it was the ground strap at the frame from the battery. It appeared snug, so I didn't think that this was the culprit at first. All of my electronics died. I disconnected the ground. Waited a few seconds and re-connected. Everything was fine for a short time, then the same thing. I thought it was a dead battery at first (I now keep an 8mm wrench in the car).

Solution - The paint at the frame where the ground is attached from the battery was emery boarded away. Ground re-attached. Everything is fine.

This has been the same solution for several folks in SoCal area.

There is another ground to the engine that you should also consider. A little harder to get to though.

tks I'll check that too. Engine starter is working fine so it seems there is voltage... Just no voltage to the plugs...

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Need more info. Could be that the alternator quit and the battery has just enough juice to crank but not start. Check battery voltage.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Like mentioned before. Check the ground coming off the battery to the frame rail, super easy to get to.

I know it does not make much sense, but computer grounds are critical.

There are actually 3 grounds at this one point, the ring terms are stacked. I have read about and seen all kinds of mis-behavior from this one location. The battery will show it has good juice. The computer I believe is also off this ground as the code reader would not work either, when this was bad.

This is where I would start..just my .02

There is another location discussed in another thread. I would move here next. Unless the computer is fried, or the crank or cam sensors are done, it's all that makes sense. I have yet to see a failed sensor on a fairly new mod motor.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
tks I'll check that too. Engine starter is working fine so it seems there is voltage... Just no voltage to the plugs...

Are you sure it is a no voltage to the plugs situation versus a no fuel to the chamber situation?

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
Are you sure it is a no voltage to the plugs situation versus a no fuel to the chamber situation?

Yes this is what the mechanic told me.

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
Like mentioned before. Check the ground coming off the battery to the frame rail, super easy to get to.

I know it does not make much sense, but computer grounds are critical.

There are actually 3 grounds at this one point, the ring terms are stacked. I have read about and seen all kinds of mis-behavior from this one location. The battery will show it has good juice. The computer I believe is also off this ground as the code reader would not work either, when this was bad.

This is where I would start..just my .02

There is another location discussed in another thread. I would move here next. Unless the computer is fried, or the crank or cam sensors are done, it's all that makes sense. I have yet to see a failed sensor on a fairly new mod motor.

I'll ask my mechanic to check that too. tks

Aug 25, 2006
Has she been brought back to life yet?

Curious minds need to know

Takes care

Shadowman

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
My mech found the problem. The breakdown was due to some wire commanding the injectors which was disconnected.