Total disrespect......

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Getting back to this thread….It would be interesting to see how many of us would feel as comfortable driving our cars in a hypothetical world where they were worth three or four times as much as they are today.

One of MartynL's Sarasota Café Racers paid over $2M for this at auction. It was written up in "Automobile." He drove it down US 41 (six lanes of congestion) to our car guys lunch. I'd like to think I'd do the same regardless of value.

5D3_6546.jpg

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Not true...Its just being smart and avoiding a total loss...which is a serious concern not to be minimized, dismissed or made light of.

Kayvan, You have made a lot of very 'interesting' posts here that I and many other envy.....

The ones in this thread are just the opposite if these are really your feelings for sharing this wonderful work of automotive art with others.

I truly enjoy driving this car, but many of the times at various shows and gatherings are cherished memories. Sure, there have been some not great moments, but the vast majority have been great. Never had a problem with 'scam artists' as a result of a car show. The car, its plate and vin number and the address where I live are public record anyway. I don't disclose much personal information but am not going to be paranoid about it either. That is State Farm's problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...The question that I still don't answer is how much did you pay, or what it's worth. Many times, I'll answer with "I didn't tell my wife what I paid for it, and I'm not going to tell you!"...

My std reply (with a smile and a wink) was, "Let's just say it cost a bit more than your average Buick."

No one ever bothered to 'press me' on the issue after that.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
One of MartynL's Sarasota Café Racers paid over $2M for this at auction. It was written up in "Automobile." He drove it down US 41 (six lanes of congestion) to our car guys lunch. I'd like to think I'd do the same regardless of value.

View attachment 34716

With a cigar no less!!!

Lightning

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 9, 2006
Hutchinson, Kansas
If you're going to drive these cars, show them, or let anyone around them at all, this stuff is going to happen. I remember one night we were out for dinner in my Maserati Bora and I looked out the window toward my car and saw two guys run up the hood, over the top, and down the back of the clam shell. I could not believe it and when I got out to the car there was no visible damage, and they were both gone. Then there was the time I was at a car show with my Cobra and as I was talking to a lady her two young children stood on the side pipes to see inside. She could'nt understand why I told them to get back from the car. When somone asks me how much I paid for the GT, I tell them my wife was listening to the conversation as I made the deal on the phone and when I hung up she said "where are you going to get that kind of money?" at which point I told her "I'm going to sell the house, we can sleep in the GT, we can't drive the house" that brings on a laugh and ends that.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I drive my car a lot and one day I parked it way back in the lot to grab a card and when I came out a shit box was parked right next to me way out I the corner. I think that he will have a hard time looking out is Right side mirror because I did some body work to it.:thumbsup

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I drive my car a lot and one day I parked it way back in the lot to grab a card and when I came out a shit box was parked right next to me way out I the corner. I think that he will have a hard time looking out is Right side mirror because I did some body work to it.:thumbsup

You bashed his mirror for parking next to you? Ummm.....

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
A guy here locally parked his convertible (top down) Ferrari in the parking lot of a trendy little district. He came back to his car to find about 8 quarts of used motor oil poured all over the interior of his car.

At car shows/events sometimes I don't know whether to be more worried about the adults or the kids.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Some are clueless, some are insensitive, but I hate to say it some are jealous , the latter I fear the most and have no patience with!

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I think I would flip out on someone...

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I have had a couple of these experiences in the last year. Typically we are not very nervous or cautious of other people until just lately.

The first was last fall at our local weekly cruse night. I was going in to get ice cream for me and my wife and noticed a mom and small child coming out (I held the door for them) with ice cream, the child had a cone in one hand and a small garden shovel in the other. When I got back with the ice cream I noticed a large scrape on the front bumper. After asking around a guy finally came up a said he saw what happened. The child hit the car with the small steel garden shovel and the mom picked him up right away and hurried off. Luckily I have the front of the car wrapped in clear bra so no damage to the paint.

The other was just a couple of weeks ago at a car show and had a guy come up and start talking about the car and proceeded to say his son would love to see the car. He was 9 and this is the car he talks about all the time and wanted my address so he could bring him over to see the car in the garage. I thought it was a little weird and politely told him he will have to see it at the next show. A few hours later I overheard a few of the other car owners talking about this person. He told all of them the same story about his son. If I was a betting person my guess is that he didn’t even have a son.

Needless to say we are much more cautious now.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Wouldn't it be wonderful to be civil and non-violent?

Last edited by a moderator:

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
i was at a local cruise one night when an older couple approached me and the gentleman started telling some stories of driving a FGT around the Ford proving grounds. i was very interested in listening to his story when his wife asked how the door opens. before i could answer, she had the door open and was sliding into the drivers seat. i wanted to tell her to please exit the car, but, instead i bit my tongue in fear she would get upset and aggressively exit the car and cause damage. since that day, i always lock the doors and leave the widows 3/4 way up.
lesson learned and thank god no damage.
i only let kids that are polite (including parent) sit in the car.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

I KNEW you looked familiar when we first met.

image.jpg

Although I think he might be taller.

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA

exhibit one your honor: :wink

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-defense-handgun-ammunition-ball-FMJ-or-other

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
I knew when I saw this thread start it would get several pages of responses. I have only had my FGT for a year and have noticed events with young children is where I have seen the most disrespect to our cars. Parents turn their heads for a minute and the children are bolting to your car.

Last edited:

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
You bashed his mirror for parking next to you? Ummm.....

He went out of his way to park next to me I was way in the back with like 100 closer spots. He parked close enough that I could not open my door. Yes I made it hard for him to use is POS mirror on his POS 85 jeep.

Maybe I have anger issues.:rofl

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I'm with dmark1 and SMOKDU...

Tomcat

GT Owner
He went out of his way to park next to me I was way in the back with like 100 closer spots. He parked close enough that I could not open my door. Yes I made it hard for him to use is POS mirror on his POS 85 jeep.

Maybe I have anger issues.:rofl

Unfortunately, you probably have more to lose in this exchange...if you wrestle with a pig YOU get dirty!

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Unfortunately, you probably have more to lose in this exchange...if you wrestle with a pig YOU get dirty!

Very well said!