Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Why one should NEVER lend his car to ANYBODY...especially big name auto writers/reporters/show hosts no matter WHAT they promise you...Chapt. 1...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Great looking, great performance!

Now if only the MSRP list was nil and the maintenance cost were more like a FGT, rather than a Aston, or Ferrari, I might have a smaller bank balance.

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
Why one should NEVER lend his car to ANYBODY...especially big name auto writers/reporters/show hosts no matter WHAT they promise you...Chapt. 1...

James is another one of the hosts of the show.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
James is another one of the hosts of the show.

Yes, I know. And that whole "I promised this and that" business, and the candy bars & snacks, etc., was was all scripted & part of the act.

I was referring to the way these people (auto press/T.V.) always seeem to beat the crapola outta the cars they borrow - in much the same fashion as valets and people who rent exotics...only worse. It appears they couldn't care less about what they do to wunna these rigs. After all, it's not their equipment, is it.

They probably replace the tires/brakes they destroy and attend to any other OBVIOUS damage/wear as well - maybe. But, that's not the point. (The owner is really nuts if he hasn't seen to it beforehand that there's something in writing that guarantees replacement/repair.)

I cannot see any "upside" at all to handing one's car over to anybody in cases like this.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
The car looks MUCH better in person, IMHO.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

:agree:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I was referring to the way these people (auto press/T.V.) always seeem to beat the crapola outta the cars they borrow

Top Gear are known for driving motors to destruction. Initially it seems very odd, then you get used to it, then someone reminds you, and you think it's odd again.

I remember when they had a Vanquish on and were bouncing off the rev limiter (ouch) or the Murcielago that was hammered..... there have been so many and I agree, there would be absolutely no upside to lending them a car.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Interesting reviews, interesting car.
Re Top Gear. I'm kind of glad they hammer the super cars, as I think it is a legitimate issue with cars that are sold at ludicrous prices claiming crazy @$$ performance. I wouldn't justify absolute reckless abuse, but high speed testing/braking etc. is entirely justifiable as far as I'm concerned. What I wouldn't/don't appreciate is bogus editorial license where the tester's opinion differs from the actual results.

Re the 458. Pretty beautiful, eh? Still don't like the no gears option, but I guess that's technology. Very impressive storage, no? Almost makes the thing practical. I could do without the turn signals on the steering wheel itself though. Kinda funky if one has to use it during a wheel turn.

The sound is incredible, and the stats/performance #s are impressive.

Not to shill for the GT, but I wonder given how impressive the GT was in '04 if that doomed the stats of the F430 from inception. The 458 has a lot more power than even the F430 Scud on the initial model, and the fact the car makes 560+ horses on < than 5 liters W/O a blower is something.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I suspect the Toyota Prius will have more power than our GT's in about 20 years! :) It's just how engines develop I guess. I also doubt Ferrari would have been too concerned about the GT, as they wouldn't be about Lamborghini et al. They have a distinct and loyal customer base at the higher level.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I think this was a funny entertaining review, it's why I like Top Gear over any other car show.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston

I made the mistake of going to Ferrari of Houston to see one....

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
I have seen 3 so far. 2 red and 1 yellow. The yellow one looked MEAN.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
now I have a 430 for sale while I wait on my 458 to get here....

H

HHGT

Congrats on your purchase, its a beautiful car. How do you justify the depreciation? Unless of course its a business lease!

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Re the 458. Pretty beautiful, eh? Still don't like the no gears option, but I guess that's technology. Very impressive storage, no? Almost makes the thing practical. I could do without the turn signals on the steering wheel itself though. Kinda funky if one has to use it during a wheel turn.

I haven't seen one in person, but I think it looks better than any other current ferrari, I bet the resale on the 430, and 360 tank as a result of trade ins.

I wonder if clarkson didn't make a big deal out of the turn signals for a joke, thinking about how I use turn signals, I'm going in a straight line, turn on the turn signal, then turn. Not too many cases where you are in a corner and then there is a road to turn onto... Kind of like the joke they make about the GT fuel mileage. Sure it gets 4mpg but that is WFO at the track...

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
....at 6:30 of this clip is exactly what a GT owner will NOT experience.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK

Lucky man. The 458 is a thing of beauty and, I'm told, a delight to drive. I've had a good look around one and it's absolutely stunning.

We will need many, many pictures posting!!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
I bet the resale on the 430, and 360 tank as a result of trade ins.

Unfortunately it didn't take the 458 arrival for this to happen. It is happening on its own!