Too tall

Jun 8, 2012
West Vancouver
I am 6'6 and cram myself into my Ford GT. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to modify the seat to create more room. Or is there an after market seat that is available?

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
You can send the bottom section of your seat out to have some adjustments that will, I believe, give you about two inches of additional head room. Lots of threads have information on this if you do some searching.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
There are a lot of posts about Knights Autoworks. They lowered my, and many folks' seats. Added maybe 1.5" headroom.
At 6'5 was enough for me.

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
BTW,
Have a 6'4" resident here tomorrow to play. I can have him tell about a 6'4" driver?

xjsteve

GT Owner
Jan 24, 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm 6'3" and thanks to my thinning hair line, still just barely fit in the car. After the first 5 minutes I forget about the roof basically brushing the top of my head. My 6'8" son however, although he is trying to convince me that he "fits", looks like a sardine in a can! Not sure if I will modify the seats given the son is 16 and for the sake of public safety probably shouldn't be tooling around in a GT. Also, I looked at Knights Automotive and pictures of the process and it appears this is a semi-permanent change. You would have to custom rebuild the seats to get back to stock specs.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
You can also add inches with the Gurney Bubble adaptation to the door.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
You can also add inches with the Gurney Bubble adaptation to the door.

Knights mod is supposedly indistinguishable from stock just by looking at the cushion, so there's really no reason to ever want/have to reverse it. The bubble on the other hand....:)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Call Steve Hemstock of Knights automotive.A real class act.He also does amazing work.A true craftsman.
715-330-8282 or 715-702-2727 Tell him Roketman gave you his phone numbers .

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Roketman - did you add to your seat?

Ed

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Knights mod is supposedly indistinguishable from stock just by looking at the cushion, so there's really no reason to ever want/have to reverse it. The bubble on the other hand....:)

Gurney Bubble only needed if seat mod is not enough.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
I don't have that trouble, but my young son's booster seat works great!!

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington

There is a door on eBay with a Gurney Bubble about 9K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-F...ake:Ford|Model:GT&hash=item417261d4af&vxp=mtr

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Or, if you think it looks great! (it does!!) I fit in my car without the bubble, but it was totally needed when wearing a helmet and to let me see the track....

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
You mean to tell us you track your GT????

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

I wonder if that is the one that Saleen broke out at Rally II as a demonstration example? It's from Troy, MI - and I believe that Bryan Chambers and Todd Helms are still in that area. Nice door, as it is complete with all the additional trim items. A good buy for any red car.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Roketman - did you add to your seat?

Ed
No Ed ,I made it lower! Thats why you can just see my eyes over the dash!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I'm 6'3" and thanks to my thinning hair line, still just barely fit in the car. After the first 5 minutes I forget about the roof basically brushing the top of my head. My 6'8" son however, although he is trying to convince me that he "fits", looks like a sardine in a can! Not sure if I will modify the seats given the son is 16 and for the sake of public safety probably shouldn't be tooling around in a GT. Also, I looked at Knights Automotive and pictures of the process and it appears this is a semi-permanent change. You would have to custom rebuild the seats to get back to stock specs.
Strange - I'm 6'2" and fit perfectly in there, seats (back) back all the way...it's my Viper that I can't really fit into - no height at all...but the GT is no problem for me. Guessing if you lower that seat by 1.5" - you'll have plenty of headroom. Forget your big guy @ 6'8"...that's never gonna happen unless you remove the seat altogether!

Jun 8, 2012
West Vancouver
Great information. Just came home from a drive and my back was hurting so checked if anyone had responded. I will give Knights automotive a call.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I wonder if that is the one that Saleen broke out at Rally II as a demonstration example? It's from Troy, MI - and I believe that Bryan Chambers and Todd Helms are still in that area. Nice door, as it is complete with all the additional trim items. A good buy for any red car.

Believe it is from Saleen's showroom. It's a reject door that will not fit correctly, if I remember the story about it correctly. Not a bolt on.