Too big for a GT?

tribeca

Oct 9, 2006
I have recently looked closely at buying a GT. I havent driven anything like it before but I just can't resist the fantastic styling and design. My question is at 6'2'' and 250lbs, am I just kidding myself that I can be comfortable driving one?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I know bigger guys with them, but it's not a car I'd recommend on long trips. I know a number of guys well over 6'2 with the car, as tall as 6'6. I also know people who weigh significantly over 250lbs, but I can't vouch for the combo of the two.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
tribeca said:
I have recently looked closely at buying a GT. I havent driven anything like it before but I just can't resist the fantastic styling and design. My question is at 6'2'' and 250lbs, am I just kidding myself that I can be comfortable driving one?

I'm 6'2" and 225. I have to put the seat all the way back and I have no room left for a helmet but I fit fine and the car is very comfortable. Most of my height is in my legs though (36" inseam) so someone who is tall-waisted may have headroom issues. I have about 1" head clearance and had to really get used to closing the door without ducking :lol . Gennadi can lower the seat if really necessary and some owners have gone so far as to install a Gurney Bubble in the door.

The only way to know for sure is to climb in one.

ATM empty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Southern California
6'2" and 250. I had Gennadi lower the seat for line of sight reasons. Was it really necessary - No. I wanted the extra room for my head and it make it harder for my wife to drive it - "O Well" - My test drive was when I picked it up from the dealer and drove it home. - Jim

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
6'3" 230lbs. Only problem is when I'm first in line at a traffic light it can be hard to see it if I don't lean and tilt my head a wee bit (low roof line).
But the seating and comfort level is great, better than my old Z06.

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
seat lowered by Gennadi?

ATM empty said:
6'2" and 250. I had Gennadi lower the seat for line of sight reasons. Was it really necessary - No. I wanted the extra room for my head and it make it harder for my wife to drive it - "O Well" - My test drive was when I picked it up from the dealer and drove it home. - Jim

At 6'2" 220 I am interested in having Gennadi lower my seat as well it would be nice to have better line of site and maybe get a helmet on occasionaly. How was your experience with Gennadi? What was the turn around and are you happy with the work? Thanks (Barry) FLY GT40

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
ATM Empty
I am interested in having Gennadi lower my seat as well I am 6'2" 220 and the line of site is a real issue I don't know how Dan Gurney ever saw out of the Gurney bubble in the 1967 gt40. Were you happy with the work done by Gennadi? Wat was the turn around time? Do you have a contact # for them. Thanks Barry FLY GT40

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
:cheers Im 6-1 225, First time I sat in it was after I bought it, wish I could have done a test drive, but I do fit fine

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
TEXAS GT said:
I'm 6'2" and 225. I have to put the seat all the way back and I have no room left for a helmet but I fit fine and the car is very comfortable. Most of my height is in my legs though (36" inseam) so someone who is tall-waisted may have headroom issues.

Yikes! I completely forgot about accounting for helmet clearance...

I'm a hair shy of 6 feet tall. My hair touches the top. Time to shave my head, or I would have to experiment with reclining the seat more.

Plenty of leg room - probably more than my Jeep Commander. Or at the least a bigger footwell in the GT than the Commander.

Yes, I never sat in one either, until after it was delivered from Penn.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
tribeca said:

6'1" - 325lbs have done 650 mile days without diaper rash :cheers :banana :cheers I have added a milkshake for breakfast and lunch and am confident that I can reach my new goal weight. Fly weight like you should have no issues. :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
This is like a meeting of the Weight Watchers Club!

I don't think you'll have any problems fitting in the car Tribeca - I'm just over 6'2" and 220. I duck when I slam the door and wearing a crash helmet (which I do with moderate regularity) is hopeless as it locks my head against the roof. But for normal driving, you'll be absolutely fine.

This summer I drove from the South of France to London in one hop in the GT, I felt perfectly refreshed after the journey.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
5'11", 175

The car was built for me! :lol :lol :lol

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Bart Carter said:
5'11", 175

Bart,
@ 6' & 200 even, I was told that the GT was built for me!!:lol
Now, someone's spoofing somone; unless of course they ment it was the Heritage that was built for me, which is what I'm sure is the case.:biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bart Carter said:
5'11", 175

175lbs = santa's elf :lol :rofl :lol :lol

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
OK !!! I'm 5'8" 155lbs. Its a little snug for me but I manage. I hear DBK is looking to get a Bubble installed? :rofl

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
275 @ somewhere around 6' used to be 6'2" (at least I thought I was) - jeez at this rate I'll be 5'5" by the time I'm 60.

shit.

Oh yeah, fits great.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
6'4" and 175 lbs, point guard, used to dunk 2 handed, can't touch the rim now. I fit just fine with the seat upright. Have to rake the seat back to sit in the car with a helmet.

tribeca

Oct 9, 2006
Thanks to all for the reassurance that my waif like figure will be a good fit. I think I will opt to have two vertebrae removed so I can see the traffic lights a little better.

ATM empty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Southern California
FLY GT40 said:
At 6'2" 220 I am interested in having Gennadi lower my seat as well it would be nice to have better line of site and maybe get a helmet on occasionaly. How was your experience with Gennadi? What was the turn around and are you happy with the work? Thanks (Barry) FLY GT40

Berry, The people at Gennadi where great. They got it on a Thursday around 10am and I had it back in SO CAL the following Tusday. The quality of the work is factory level. I have been told that both seats are the same (interchangable) if that is correct send the passenger seat bottom to be lowered. Drop me an Email "jim@atms-inc.com" and I will send some photos. I can find my way arould So Cal with out getting lost, havent started my car in third yet. But can't figure out how to post a photo here yet (still a FNG) - jim

IMA GT

GT Owner
Jul 11, 2006
I am 6'5" 280 lbs. I don't have any problems with the comfort level of this car. It is such a rush driving it, you will forget all of your concerns. BUY IT!