toggle switch lights

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I replaced 1 under warranty and now 2 more of the toggles fail to light. Is this a common failing? Anyone replce them on their own and familar with the procedure? Thanks!
Derry

H

HHGT

I'm convinced the Battery Gremlin is working its way though all these devices, Gauges included..

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I also have had one toggle switch light fail - can't see the relationship to gauges as it's just an LED, likely infant mortality. Mine was on the Headlamp/Parking Lamp switch, and I don't know when it failed, as I can't see the bottom of the switch from the driving position. On the way back from Rally IV, I called Power Ford in Scottsdale, and by the time I got there, it was waiting for me. Didn't have it installed, and still have it in the box (I can't see the light anyway) and will have it installed whenever the dash has to come out for a more important reason.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I lost a light in the defroster swith. It was under warranty at the time. I replaced it myself , a real PIA !! but I trusted the mechanic : )

Bobby_P

Jan 24, 2007
Tucson, AZ
I'm convinced the Battery Gremlin is working its way though all these devices, Gauges included..

So, is it too simplistic to say that with relatively frequent driving (1-2 times per week) and say an annual battery change (or maybe every two years) one could almost guarantee to avoid this, or the gauge failure issue, altogether?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
So, is it too simplistic to say that with relatively frequent driving (1-2 times per week) and say an annual battery change (or maybe every two years) one could almost guarantee to avoid this, or the gauge failure issue, altogether?

no.. the lights burning out in the swiches and the gauges going out are two different issues. The bad or failing gauges appear to be low battery related. The lights are random. I have two GT's. I lost the gauge in the car that sits most of the time and the battery got low once. The light in the switch burnt out in the car I drive once or twice a week.

H

HHGT

Are the lights in the switches LEDs?

Some facts about LEDs...http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/led-lights/2009/02/led-life-expectancy.html

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Yes I believe that they are LEDs, Based on losing 3 now in 18 months I am not sure it is worth the $ to replace them but I hate having nonfunctional items in the car!!

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Derry I am with you 100%. I hate having non functioning items in the car that are SUPPOSED to work!!!

H

HHGT

LEDs are designed to last upto 50,000 hours. I'm telling you guys there is some electric gremlin amidst our GTs, Gauges included.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
High voltage spikes?

GT4JR

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2006
Yorba Linda, California
so we have to replace the switch? Can the LED light be replaced?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
LEDs are designed to last upto 50,000 hours. I'm telling you guys there is some electric gremlin amidst our GTs, Gauges included.

+1!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
so we have to replace the switch? Can the LED light be replaced?

LED is sealed into the switch - replace the switch.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
my headlight toggle switch light went out on the car I drive frequently, well its really not out completely it comes and goes periodically.

GT4JR

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2006
Yorba Linda, California
Kendall, we have work to do buddy! I have the replacement switch! :)