Fresno, Ca.
Gt is the ultimate daily driver:)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
rickisapilot,

Just so you know, Ford used the same software to design the GT as Boeing did for the 777. In Boeing's case, it was the first truly digital plane - the first time Boeing didn't build a physical mock-up. In Ford's case, it is certainly one of the key reasons that Ford was able to achieve such a short design to market timeline. The software is featured several times in Discovery's documentary of the creation of the GT. The new Boeing Dreamliner (787) is the most extensive use yet of Product Lifecycle Management software. State of the art technology from Dassault Systemes (NASDAQ: DASTY).

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
rickisapilot said:
This was my point exactly. Don't get me wrong, as a yet-non-owner I LOVE the GT! From what I've seen & heard, I don't even want to consider a Ferrari, Lambo, etc. If I want a "supercar", this is THE ONE. Not sure if I want the "supercar experience" though if it's going to be problematic. Notwithstanding Albolfaz's heart-wrenching halfshaft problems, his list of supercar problems with various makes & models led me to ask in my first post, "Is this all 'par for the course'?" If so, I'd happily "bow out" of the club & continue to love YOUR cars & respect the patience & tolerance you all seem to have for your passion! Wish I could be more like that, but at the same time, I'd hate to pass on a "no-worse-than-a-Vette-experience", however, if that's what I can expect. A few warranty tweeks is OK to get to know a dealer, etc., but halfshafts, transaxle & supercharger leaks, coolant blowouts, door latches hanging up, etc are things I've never had to deal with & IMO not, for ME, worth the weekly country drive. In fact, if simple "over-torquing" of two bolts caused all of Albolfaz's problems, and the transaxles (some?) are known to have this problem, and Ford is just waiting for those to show up as they break at the appropriate mileage interval (vs. a recall), how does that make the rest of you feel while far from home and late at night (or on the track!)? Are there GT's out there that haven't had ANY warranty issues after 10's of thousands of miles? Maybe I'm lucky, but that's been mostly my experience with new cars . . . no warranty claims. But never paid well over $100K for a car, either. YOUR MESSAGES IN THIS THREAD ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. MORE ARE WELCOME. TRYING TO LEARN AS MUCH AS I CAN BEFORE "JUMPING IN". MANY THANKS! ----Rick

just reread your post, I doubt the GT has as many hic-ups as any model release by Lambo or Ferrari. These are hand built limited production cars.
My only issue has been the door panel trim panels fell off, the tape needed to be replace, did it myself in ten minutes.

In fact I have more ongoing issues with my Mercedes than I have with the GT. The GT has yet to have any issue, I am down to one Merc, a CLK55AMG that frankly I would not resell to anyone I know...

Last edited:

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
After 3,800 miles I've had both doors adjusted to remove rattles and....that's it! I did find some very minor paint flaws, but they are so hard to spot I feel like having them fixed (under warranty, of course) is more risky than leaving them and seeing if anyone else ever notices them (without detailing the car, I'm betting no one ever will).

I also know that one of the early prototypes served as a press car for over 30,000 miles. Those are 30,000 automotive journalist miles. So, like dog years, mulitply that number by about seven to get an idea of average-use miles.

As stated, anyone who has had any problem will report it here, but almost no one takes the time to say "everything is going just fine with my GT." Look at it this way. If there are 2500-plus GTs in private hands now, and only five percent of them have ever had any worthwhile problems, that would still be 125 incidents. Let's say only half of all GT owners use this forum (maybe that's low, maybe that's high -- don't know), then that would still be 62.5 problems reported on this forum. I still don't think there have been that many issues raised here, so logic suggests that not even five percent of all GTs have had an issue -- meaning you're at least 95 percent likely to have no issues with a GT you buy (a number, BTW, I would suggest is much higher than your typical exotic).

Bottom line -- these cars don't have any rampant mechanical issues, no matter the impression given by reading these forums.

And for the record, other than those minor door adjustments (took the dealer about three hours to address, and that time frame included a free oil change) "everything is going just fine with my GT" after eight months of ownership. No starting issues. No driveshaft issues. Nothing.

If you're looking for an exotic that can double as a daily driver, I'm having trouble coming up with a better recommendation. Maybe the new 911 Turbo (911s are almost Honda-like in their mechanical soundness). But those cars are just now starting to hit the market, so expect the mark-up/wait list on them to be much like the GT was during it's first year-plus on the market. Of course you don't have to buy a new 911 Turbo. You could buy a used one from the last generation. Or a used NSX. Those are about the only exotics that I'd think would have the potential to be as good or better than the GT in terms of long-term lack of mechanical issues. No way on the Ferraris or Lambos. My experience with those cars during just one-week press loans has confirmed what I've always sensed about the Italian exotics -- lots of passion...and lots of potential for issues. Usually minor issues versus catostrophic issues, but issues nonetheless. The president at our company has a 2000 550 Maranello. And I can assure you the service experience isn't usually a three-hour, in-and-out affair, either...

I'd personally go with the GT and never look back (which is what I did).

Last edited:

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
My old C5 Vette (window motor) , Porsche 996 TT (steering column problem) and now my Viper (water pump failure) have all had to go to the shop before 1000 miles were even up and I drive nice and easy.

crap happens.

Most GT owners never have had an issue, buy one and have fun.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Great post Enzo. :biggrin

I particularly like the journalist:dog years ratio! :lol quite true....