Tire warning

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
One thing to keep in mind when choosing a tire is how much garbage it will pick up off the road and hurl at the side of the car. I would seriously consider the Stillen splash guards with oe tires, & they're mandatory in my opinion with anything sticky!

Also, I have not used the Hoosiers on street or track, but have used some Goodyear slicks... they are amazing. Really. I'm much more comfortable driving the car on track with the added adhesion!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Man up and get the Hoosiers!!!
I swear you will not regret it !!!
As Jeff stated do get the Stillen splash guards They work amazingly well .

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Man up and get the Hoosiers!!!
I swear you will not regret it !!!
As Jeff stated do get the Stillen splash guards They work amazingly well .

How have the Hoosier held up to road harzards? I know of one FGT owner that had 2 flats in 1 week! It could have been bad luck, one was a bolt or screw that probably would have gone through a GY as well.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Since I'm having trouble finding new F1s for the rear of my car, I'm wondering if I can replace them with another brand, but keep the F1's on the front. The front tires still have lots of life on them and it would be a shame to get rid of them too soon.

Is there any reason I shouldn't have different brands on the front and back?

I think Torrrie used Hoosiers at the rear and the Goodies on the front. Maybe he'll chime in and give you his thoughts on this?

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Agreed, and the Hoosier's are much lighter weight.

Congrats on your 1,000th post, Tim!
(Is that your doppelganger in your avatar?:lol)

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I just checked my tires installed last year and the date code is 23 of 04!! They are already 5 years old. This seems like a pretty big issue if the newest run is truly early 2006. I know that as a supplier to Ford we have to produce service parts for 12 years but I do not know if that is true of a tire supplier. Does anyone know for sure if 2009 F1's can be found? Thanks.
Derry

jdw5691

GT Owner
Jun 22, 2009
Goodyear F1's

I blew a tire on my Cobra running F1's last year during the Goodyear slow-down / plant strike. I called and inquiried online to over 50 chains and shops (US and Canada) before I found a replacement. Given my experience, I would have thought that all the inventory had been cleaned out last year and Goodyear would have begun manufacturing new tires again. However, for a couple of weeks now I have been trying to secure a new set of tires for the GT and they are on "back order". What we might be finding are the last scraps available with no new production in sight.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
tirerack.com

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
What is the prevailing wisdom regarding the limit on the age of a tire before it has to be discarded. Like others on the forum (EP being the extreme - but I'm probably not too far behind) these tires will 'time out' before they wear out. I have no plans for the Texas Mile but it is a pretty hot car. The car is garaged, out of sunlight, etc. Is there a way to tell when they're done?
I have an SUV that had 40K miles after 8 years and, though they looked just fine, I just had the tires replaced on basic principle.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Do you guys check your Tire pressure before each drive?; and if so whats a a good meter.

The Skip Barber race instructor told us this was the single biggest safety check one could do.....

Thought/tips?

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
anyone got the model number or whatever it's call for Hoosiers? Front and Back?

I need tires bad and would like to try them.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Are Hoosier's really okay for the street? I thought I read that the R6's were for track use (dry/warm surfaces) only.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
anyone got the model number or whatever it's call for Hoosiers? Front and Back?

I need tires bad and would like to try them.

R6

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Are Hoosier's really okay for the street? I thought I read that the R6's were for track use (dry/warm surfaces) only.

Yes designed for dry road use only. Track or street? Do you believe Hoosier or DOT?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Tire pressure is the single biggest factor in tire failure. (Second is bad ,broken or defective valve stems)Proper tire inflation is the key to the safety and performance of any tire. This should be checked all the time .Really ALL THE TIME !!!
Now in regard to The Hoosiers picking up road hazards and causing tire failure,I find this not to be the case.That's just bad luck.Since the GT does not have a spare (if you have not noticed yet!!)I do carry a tire repair kit in the boot .At Least If I need to plug a tire ,I could .I think its more a piece of mind thing.My 02
When buying Hoosiers I recommend buying them from Hoosier.They have all the proper info and can answer any questions with a 100% accuracy

Last edited:

FM99

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 4, 2008
Iowa
I run Hoosiers on my race car (formula mazda). As far as I know, Hoosier makes no DOT approved street tires. The major difference between Hoosier race tires and other race tires I have used is the sidewall support. Hoosiers generally have less give and hence for many are a little more difficult to handle, but faster. However, any race tire (slicks) will give an amazing performance difference compared to any street tire. M2C

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Tire pressure is the single biggest factor in tire failure. (Second is bad ,broken or defective valve stems)Proper tire inflation is the key to the safety and performance of any tire. This should be checked all the time .Really ALL THE TIME !!!
Now in regard to The Hoosiers picking up road hazards and causing tire failure,I find this not to be the case.That's just bad luck.Since the GT does not have a spare (if you have not noticed yet!!)I do carry a tire repair kit in the boot .At Least If I need to plug a tire ,I could .I think its more a piece of mind thing.My 02
When buying Hoosiers I recommend buying them from Hoosier.They have all the proper info and can answer any questions with a 100% accuracy

:thumbsup

Had similar luck on various street cars with sticky DOT tires. Street driving does not get them hot enough to get all melted looking an toss debris. A few guys drove on them to Vegas last rally and many have driven to the track and back them. They looked just like normal tires when they arrived.

Like the tip on the tire plug it. Putting one in the car now. :thumbsup

FM99

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 4, 2008
Iowa
CORRECTION - Sorry. I just talked to the Hoosier guys here at the track and Hoosier does make a few DOT approved "street" tires. However, they are basically slicks with two groves. These would not be recommended for normal street use. They are basically a track tire.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The trick is to run your cold pressures higher for street use.The tires will not get up to optimum running pressures if you set them to low .These pressures need to be adjusted as the weather gets warmer or cooler.The optimum pressures for the Hoosiers hot is 37 front and 36 hot rear.In this cooler weather I will run them cold at 34front 33 rear.That way they will come up to the correct temps and pressure for street driving ,the two are obviously directly related.The best way to check to see if you have it right is to check your pressures as soon as you stop .This will tell you how you are doing.Adjust your pressures accordingly.On the track I would start them cold at 27 front 26 rear .Setting your pressures properly for the Texas mile and the track event will be key for your saftey. Hope this helps you ,Roketman
HAPPY JULY 4TH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
CORRECTION - Sorry. I just talked to the Hoosier guys here at the track and Hoosier does make a few DOT approved "street" tires. However, they are basically slicks with two groves. These would not be recommended for normal street use. They are basically a track tire.

R6's