Tire slime expiration date

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I guess my 2005 GT tire slime may have expired, since it did not work on this flat tire. Used the whole can too. I may have missed two warning signs: First I had a steering wheel shudder, about 1/2 inch back and forth for about 30 seconds on the highway (82 mph) which was making me wonder if it was the road so I changed lanes and it decreased. I think this was when air was leaving the tire. Then I almost made out what have have been smoke in the lights of vehicles behind me (it was dark out) but no smell and no lowered front corner or any steering feel changes. But when the tread separated and smacked the wheel well I was already slowed down and pulled safely off. I don't even think the wheel was damaged as the tire on the outside shoulder was still in place , a little, and the tread was protecting the inside wheel shoulder. Got good gas mileage on this trip as 1/2 my commute was on the back of the flatbed.

Attachments

• tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 326

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Barry,
I really doubt if 4 gallons of fresh tire slime would have helped this type of failure.
Andy (ajb)

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Glad you made it out safe!

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
How old were the tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Scary

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Tires have a 3-4 year self life .Weather they have 5 miles on them or 500000.
This is the number one cause of highway accidents.
https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/tire-dot-date-code/

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Wow, were these the Goodyear, or Bridgestone? Glad you are okay.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Bridgestone, and I doubt they arr even three years old . I go thru rear tires every 10k miles, fronts last 15-20. 3-4 years is the longest .

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So wasnt a good idea to drive a 89 mustang with 2xxx miles, that we have that still has its original tires on it?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Barry glad there wasnt more drama with your tire failure. Time for some new shoes.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
So wasnt a good idea to drive a 89 mustang with 2xxx miles, that we have that still has its original tires on it?

SCARY !!!!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
This is the number one cause of highway accidents.
https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/tire-dot-date-code/

I thought it was 6-7 years. Now we are down to 3-4. Good news for tire sellers.

I guess.

Pretty soon we will accept Apple computer life cycles of 6-18 months for everything. :frown

Glad this wasn't worse.

Last edited:

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
back to the original thread topic ( I think) everyone needs to check the expiration date on the tire slime sealant with their air compressor in the trunk. most of the ones I've seen usually had an expiration of 2008-2009. what does that mean?? lucky for me, I've never had to use any but my thinking is that should I have a slow leaking tires (nail, screw, F-part stuck in the thread) I want to make sure my canister works properly. relying on s sealant canister that expired 8 years ago is not a good scenario. the canisters are not unique to the GT. many places carry them. Ford/Lincoln dealer, Tire Rack, etc since Continental tire is the manufacturer. just saying, cheap investment and insurance.
IMG_3346.jpg

Last edited:

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Age and usefulness of tires must also be related to the profile. I had 50 series tires on my mustang for 30 years. Swapped them because they were getting noticeably hard. Low profile tires may fail with age sooner. The picture indicates fracture at the sidewall and tread interface. I'm sure an expert will enlighten us all. I'm not that expert.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I personally wouldn't use the goo. I carry a tire plug kit in the car. That with the compressor should be able to get moving again.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I agree with Specracer. The Goo fills the inside of the wheel, requires a new tire pressure sensors to be installed, it is doubtful if you can EVER clean it off the inside wheel surface (hence new wheel required ?) etc. to get proper balance again.....

I carry a small , green slime plug-kit in every car.

BUT...Now the issue is if you cannot find the screw/ nail., or if it is dark and you are on the side of an expressway, etc. I can see bad things happening either way.
Keep the Ford 24 hours Roadside assistance number handy at all times and if you are driving a 2005/ 2006 FGT, Best to have a current AAA Membership.

andy (ajb)

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Keep the Ford 24 hours Roadside assistance number handy at all times and if you are driving a 2005/ 2006 FGT, Best to have a current AAA Membership.

andy (ajb)

I agree Andy. It is not that much more to get Platinum AAA and it will give you greater tow distance to make sure you can get your car to a safe place for repair.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
... AND, be sure to request a flatbed tow truck to come no matter what so they do not send a regular truck. :thumbsup

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
... AND, be sure to request a flatbed tow truck to come no matter what so they do not send a regular truck. :thumbsup

Very true!

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Very true!

And have one of these to avoid your paint being scratched by tow hook:

http://www.cooltechllc.com/ford-gt-parts-accessories/81--ford-gt-tow-strap.html