Tips for long distance trips

FordGT75

GT Owner
Sep 2, 2006
Great Falls, VA
I am thinking of taking my GT to my nieces wedding in Ann Arbor. Any tips for places to put luggage and anything else that would make the trip comfortable.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
How many people are going?

My only advice is roll any clothes you can up and put into a small soft duffel bag. That should fit in the front. Use the seat net pockets for as much small stuff as you can, if you're taking a laptop of other thin items put behind the seat...etc. You just have to get a little creative.

On the way back from Florida we had a tent in the front, a duffel bag in the passengers seat floor, and the passenger had a backpack in between the legs and a laptop bag on their lap. The other laptop was behind the seat, as well as a bunch of cd holders and other miscellaneous stuff.

VA to MI shouldn't be too bad of a drive at all. Miami to Detroit was a breeze. Good luck :cheers

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
FedEx Is Your Friend

I am thinking of taking my GT to my nieces wedding in Ann Arbor. Any tips for places to put luggage and anything else that would make the trip comfortable.

When traveling any long distances and are planning on being gone any more than a day or two, Mrs. Spirit & I ship our luggage via FedEx to wherever we are going & then do the same when coming back home.

This way we only need a small amount of "stuff" in the car when traveling.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
When traveling any long distances and are planning on being gone any more than a day or two, Mrs. Spirit & I ship our luggage via FedEx to wherever we are going & then do the same when coming back home.

This way we only need a small amount of "stuff" in the car when traveling.

We played race the box to and from Detroit. We beat the box on the return trip by almost a month. Stupid Hotel screwed up the shipment. Doh!!!

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Get a trailer hitch and trailer. Otherwise use Fed-Ex, UPS or similar.

Do not store up front as the heat from the radiators is quite high.

Dave

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
On advice of a forum member, my wife and I used the Ford Car Cover Bag as a duffle bag for pants, shirts, and shoes. Worked perfectly. Just don't put anything in there that is overly heat sensitive.

AZChris

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
Pack up all your clothes and overnight them to her. Then just drive and your clothes will be there waiting for you :)

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Long Trip

I found a cheap garment bag, the kind that folds up, at AAA. It was only $25.00 and it will fit behind the passenger or drivers seat. You only have to have the seat forward a couple on inches and it gets pressed in there just right. You could hold a couple pairs of pants and a couple of shirts. I think the handle, which is cloth, hooked on the attachment point for the mesh bags.

I can pull them out and give you the name if needed...or you could just go to the luggage store and ask to see their cheapest garment bag.
Don:thumbsup

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
long distance GT drive tips

I just buy what I need along the way & when I get to my destination. After I'm done wearing it or using it I'll donate it to anyone needy that I see. Usually it's a guy with a Vette.

Ed

P.S. My little son showed me a neat trick that works. You can make your underware last longer by turning them inside out after a few days & wearing them that way for a while! It's best if you're traveling alone.

conundrum

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2007
Kentucky
Underware? Save space, go without.:thumbsup

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thanks for the tip

Mr. Conundrum - that's a good tip but only if you wear pants!

Ed

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
I found clothes fit in the front the best with out a bag, just stack them up. After you get them all in, put trash bag on top of them which you can use as a bag when you get to your destination. One nice thing if you drink water from a bottle with a cap, you can just lay it next to you between the door and the seat while you drive. I have not done it yet, but if you remove the child latch system from behind the passenger seat, there is some more room back there. Also if you are on the taller side, and have not spent any time in the passenger seat, the foot well is a bit shorter, fuse box maybe, can seem cramped if you have to much stuff behind that seat.

I did MA to Detroit last summer with a buddy no problem, and hope to do MA to CA this summer for the rally if I can get some more info on it!

Outlaw

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
LMAO .... only if you wear pants.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
What about the space bags that they have on commericals? You suck all the air out and it all goes flat.

Otherwise, you could wear everything at once while you drive.:biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Put your duffle bag on the passenger floor, let the Mrs. fly on her broom above the GT looking out from above for cops and other slow traffic:lol :rofl :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Put your duffle bag on the passenger floor, let the Mrs. fly on her broom above the GT looking out from above for cops and other slow traffic:lol :rofl :lol

...You DID say your Mrs. doesn't visit this site, right, Bony?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
...You DID say your Mrs. doesn't visit this site, right, Bony?

No she doesn't, she spends time on some aviation sites. Just got her a new broom with a glass cockpit, extended range, very nice performer.:willy :banana :willy

FordGT75

GT Owner
Sep 2, 2006
Great Falls, VA
Thanks for all the suggestions I will most likely ship the majority of the stuff and just carry a little stuff in a duffel bag up front

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Having used the Ford GT car cover bag as my duffle. I highly recommend it, as the perfect fit, and stylish to boot.