GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Quote from another thread---

Shelby 500's

The market on the 2007 Shelby 500 is still hot in the southwest region(Texas-Oklahoma). They are still bringing $15,000 over MSRP as of this week and I know of two that sold this week. Most dealers are getting their last 2007 models. No one knows what the market will be on 2008's, I think the market will stay high on them. 15 over is between $58,570 and $ 58,800 loaded but remember Shelby 500 Hertz cars with 9-10,000 miles are still bringing 55-58 ar Ford auctions. Its very weird! Customers are willing to pay those prices. TGH Ford Dealer

End quote

The following is written by ex-auto dealer Chip Beck.

Gentlemen,
I am no longer an auto dealer and don't have any dog in this fight but after reading many complaints about "gouging" dealers selling their GT500's for $20,000 over MSRP I feel compelled to point a couple of things out. I too wanted a GT500 at MSRP and I have many friends who are Ford dealers. Every one of them was sold out this year and well into 2008 at 20K over MSRP. Here's a few facts (not opinions) to keep in mind.

1. There are only two ways to allocate any scarce commodity, with a price or with a line. In a free market everything is available at all times if the price can seek it's own level. If a lower price is imposed the product sells out, a line forms and unavailability and long wait times result.

2. MSRP stands for Manufacturers "Suggested" Retail Price, not the Dealers Maximum Allowable Price. When you pay less than MSRP you are not "gouging" the dealer. If you choose to pay more than the MSRP because a model is scarce the dealer is not "gouging" you. Far more cars are sold below MSRP than above MSRP.

3. The dealers do not set prices above or below MSRP, WE DO!! Only buyers and the marketplace can set prices. Your local Ford Dealer is free to mark up his Explorers $20,000 over MSRP but none will sell at that price. Indeed right now none will sell at $1000 below MSRP. Buyers demand and get $2000+ less than MSRP. Dealers are free to sell GT500's at MSRP and they will sell the 5 to 8 a year they are allocated in one hour. Then the product is completely unavailable from that source. This would be as stupid as selling your home for 1.5 million dollars when several buyers are ready to pay you 2 million dollars.

4. Ford Motor Company want's to build and sell as many cars as it can. The 6 speed transmisson in the GT500 and to a lesser extent the hand built engine are the choke points limiting production right now. Until availability of these items eases the demand for these cars will outstrip supply and that brings us back to the ONLY TWO WAYS TO ALLOCATE A SCARCE PRODUCT. We can get in line and the first 10% of the line gets a GT500 at MSRP and the back 90% of the line NEVER gets one (but hey, at least you never get one at a great deal!!) OR, we the buyers decide who wants one the most by bidding the price to the market level. The car is always available at a price that THE BUYERS SET BY PAYING IT!!! Nobody is ever forced to pay over MSRP for a car. The laws of economics are as certain as the law of gravity. Freedom is a powerful thing, God bless America.:cheers

Chip

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Very well said.

Rob

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
:cheers

I'm tempted to post this for the benefit of the SVT boys at SVTPerformance. However, I think I'd bet the house on an under of 5 posts before crazy bitching begins. :lol

I agree with everything you've said here. I will say though that it's bad for Ford's brand image when you get dealers that not only ask wildly over MSRP, but act arrogant and curt about a product they know nothing about (outside the fact they can get a boatload of profit on it). We've all seen dealers who ask $230k for a "GT40" that has "500hp" and "cupholders"...ugh. I'm sure this is the same for the Shelby to a lesser extent.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
We've all seen dealers who ask $230k for a "GT40" that has "500hp" and "cupholders"...ugh. I'm sure this is the same for the Shelby to a lesser extent.

While the $ over MSRP will be less than seen on the first year of the GT, the Shelby could be worse than the GT in total. The price of the car has expanded the Total Available Market of buyers, they build more x4 in first year alone and all dealers get one - who are all trying to re-live the GT craze of 2005... These factors alone will drive statetments that we can't even imagine!

Hope others don't follow (Audi- A8, Chevy - Camaro, Dodge - Challenger) but I'm sure they are just waiting for the time to "jack" the MSRP as Ford dealers have done over teh last two success stories.

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio

I'm tempted to post this for the benefit of the SVT boys at SVTPerformance. However, I think I'd bet the house on an under of 5 posts before crazy bitching begins. :lol

I posted it in rode side pub but was very tempted to put it in smackdown.

http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4796906#post4796906

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Chip, thanks for the post - maybe this will get the crybaby's on that other forum to shutup or at least get a life - but I doubt it. Ed

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Shelby 500

Chip, Said very well! We all need to remember not every Ford Dealer receives an allocation of 6-10 Shelbys. For instance as a small dealer my allocation for 2007 was only 2 therefore they were sold immediately when allocated. I chose to sell mine to local customers only, inorder that local customers will see these cars on the street every day. I would not sell them out of town or on the internet. I am also a dealer that could never get an allocation for the Ford GT and had to purchase from a close friend (dealer) metro area. Even with my personal relations and our race history being the first Cobra dealer in Texas in the 60's, Small dealers have always treated that way on prime merchandise. Thats the automobile business. Don't ever thank the new camaro and the dodge challenger won't be the same.TGH PS. My allocation for the Shelby GT is one.:frown

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Clapton in Phoenix last night.

And as usual, when tickets went on sale I was unaware and it was of course sold out. No problem, the free market to the rescue. Pick up the phone and call my ticket agent and he asks, "Where do you want to sit?" The tickets were expensive but I was able to go cause I was willing to pay the market price. I like knowing that the GT500 is available "right now" just like the Clapton tickets if I want one bad enough. I ordered a Shelby GT Mustang first because I found one at MSRP. For now I'll wait on the GT500 as I think they'll get cheaper later. If they don't, I'll pay the market price.

Here's a few more things to consider.

1. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander. If you don't like "gouging" "profiteering" "free market" types like me then you should put your own money where your mouth is. If your home has doubled in value over the last 5 years, sell it for what you paid for it plus the rate of inflation. This of course will be far below the market price but you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did not "gouge" someone that needs affordable housing. If you have had an old Hemi 'Cuda for the last 20 years, sell it for NO MORE than 10% more than you paid for it. Any more and you're "gouging".

2. About 50% of Ford dealers are operating in the red this year. Obviously so is Ford Motor Company. Most of Ford's lineup is being sold at deep discounts to MSRP (because of greedy "gouging" customers):wink who fail to pay dealers the proper MSRP profit.

3. When somebody gets a huge discount on a new car they love the free marketplace. When that same person is able to reap a huge windfall on their home or their old 'Cuda by "gouging" a buyer for the current sky high market price they love the free market. When that same person is told they can't buy a GT500 for MSRP because of huge demand and limited supply they WAIL AT THE UNJUSTICE!!! THE BASTARDS!! They want market price?? Why the GOUGING GREEDY PROFITEERING LOUSY DEALERS!!! The FREE MARKET SUCKS!! After they buy the car anyway and find it's worth 4 times what they paid for it 10 years from now this same person will "gouge" his way to the big profit and loves the free market again.

4. By definition, if a price above MSRP is "gouging" by a dealer. A price below MSRP is "gouging" by a customer. Ahhhhh, no way you say, because the dealer "willingly" lowered the price, it was the dealers choice, so the customer didn't gouge the dealer. OK. So when a customer "willingly" pays above MSRP for a car (or concert tickets), it's the customers choice, and the dealer didn't gouge the customer. That customer knows that the price he is paying for those (cars, tickets, ect.) are the reason it is available now and not sold out long ago and completely unavailable now.

5. The free market keeps all things available at all times and is the most efficent way of distributing things. It is also the ONLY WAY of balancing supply and demand.

6. If we ran our public schools for the benefit of the students instead of for the benefit of the NEA Teachers Union, you'ld already know this.

Cheers,:cheers
Chip

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Shelby 500 Pricing

AHHHHHH, How many times have I paid way-way over face value for good tickets. What a great analogy Chip, I can tell your Charlies DAD. If you can afford to buy it -BUY IT and never look backif its what you want! :banana TGH PS. work those small dealers around the country they don't seem to be as greedy.:thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Chip, I agree with every single word of your post. You understand perfectly. Excellent posts on this thread.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Chip, I agree with every single word of your post. You understand perfectly. Excellent posts on this thread.

I agree with Chip, with the exception that the market information is far from perfect. In the perfect world anyone would be able to find the holders of the cars we want to buy and we could then negotiate an mutual price. Something like the way the stock market works, or at least the real estate market. There isn't a list of buyers or sellers that is readily available like a the stock exchange has, or multiple listing service for real estate.

scylla6

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2006
Far as I'm concerned if a dealer wants over sticker he can keep it. I'll wait, they will be ALOT cheaper next year. Everyone here knows this.