Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
This condition has been documented by many fellow members over the past two years. My GT has just recently showed signs of this leaky condition (at about 1500 miles) and the dealer service tech has not been succcessful in repairing the condition. The tech has followed direction of Ford Engineering and the problem still persists.
I realize their are a few aftermarket solutions to this problem but I feel it is Ford's responsibility to provide a solution approved by Ford and initiate a TSB or a recall action as they did for the faulty halfshaft bolts.
Although the problem will most probably not cause long term catastrophic problems , the car is under warranty and this condition suggests a flaw in the engineering or design of a specific part or parts.
In an effort to quantify the extent of the problem, I would appreciate your participation in the following poll.If the problem is (was) widespread , I would hope we can get this info to someone at Ford that could act on it..
Thanks for your participation..

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Stewart,
I suggest you do a search, much has been written. The search button is your friend.
Most of us don't want to rewrite old history.

Personally I installed Alex's T A breather kit and a Ford Oil Cooler.
and my car never leaked, so you did not offer me an option for your poll.
Thanks
Daniel

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
Stewart,
I suggest you do a search, much has been written. The search button is your friend.
Most of us don't want to rewrite old history.

Personally I installed Alex's T A breather kit and a Ford Oil Cooler.
and my car never leaked, so you did not offer me an option for your poll.
Thanks
Daniel
Daniel
I use the search feature frequently and find it most helpful. In this case,it would be helpful to quantify the extent of the problem to support a position with Ford.In so far as this being "old history rewritten ", I understand your comment but respectfully disagree. I am a relatively new owner ,with a current condition and reaching out to this great community would be helpful to me.I cannot quantify the extent of this condition by simply reading previous posts. A poll will provide the answer I am looking for.
Good point about you not being offered an option. I tried to keep it short and to the point.
I guess a fouth option could be ...
My GT never leaked but I installed an aftermarket part designed as a fix for the trans leak condition as a precaution.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
First off - added extension adapter, leak minimzed!

Second, added Transcooler from Cooltechllc.com - no more leaks.

NO BIG DEAL!

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I installed Alex's T A breather kit and a Ford Oil Cooler.

Same here, NO LEAKS NOW.
:thumbsup

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
Thanks for the feedback...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Stewart, what would you recommend that Ford does to address your concern? The weeping from the transaxle vent is due to very high temperatures within the transaxle. These temps vaporize the transaxle fluid and this vapor/mist escapes from the vents where it subsequently accumulates on the transaxle, and then eventually underneath it. As you seem to agree, the "problem" is unsightly but it is allegedly not detrimental to the transaxle unless the car is "driven aggressively" or "driven on the track". For these scenarios, Ford already recommends the installation of a transaxle cooler. Further, Ford Racing is recommending a transaxle cooler as a pre-requisite to any HP improvements.

In summary;

1. You can "live" with the weeping - as it is deemed to be a "normal" condition of the car in "normal" circumstances. Although unsightly, allegedly there is no problem with the car doing this.
2. At a relatively low cost, you can add a breather extension to the vent - effectively raising the height of the vent and allowing the escaping vapor to cool before it escapes.
3. You can add a transaxle cooler - which really serves to eliminate the over-heating and any vaporization of fluid that occurs.

My view is that if the situation really aggravates you, it will be far easier just to spend the ~$200 for the breather remedy. If you are or plan to drive the car aggressively or on the track, follow Ford's recommendation to add a cooler.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Support Our Forum Sponsors.... They Make This Place Available To All Of Us.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thanks Mike, Kendal, Torrie and Kendal for all you do for our community!

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
Stewart, what would you recommend that Ford does to address your concern? The weeping from the transaxle vent is due to very high temperatures within the transaxle. These temps vaporize the transaxle fluid and this vapor/mist escapes from the vents where it subsequently accumulates on the transaxle, and then eventually underneath it. As you seem to agree, the "problem" is unsightly but it is allegedly not detrimental to the transaxle unless the car is "driven aggressively" or "driven on the track". For these scenarios, Ford already recommends the installation of a transaxle cooler. Further, Ford Racing is recommending a transaxle cooler as a pre-requisite to any HP improvements.

In summary;

1. You can "live" with the weeping - as it is deemed to be a "normal" condition of the car in "normal" circumstances. Although unsightly, allegedly there is no problem with the car doing this.
2. At a relatively low cost, you can add a breather extension to the vent - effectively raising the height of the vent and allowing the escaping vapor to cool before it escapes.
3. You can add a transaxle cooler - which really serves to eliminate the over-heating and any vaporization of fluid that occurs.

My view is that if the situation really aggravates you, it will be far easier just to spend the ~$200 for the breather remedy. If you are or plan to drive the car aggressively or on the track, follow Ford's recommendation to add a cooler.

Thanks for taking the time to help me "think this thru". Your input is very helpful and I have apparently become "over concerned" with this matter. FYI-
A trans Cooler was installed last week ... I will now proceed with an extension..
Thanks again.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Welcome!

Stewart,

Great to have you aboard the Forum!

The wealth of knowledge which exists with the various owners is phenominal. And I believe Nota4re has posted good advice. Likely with your cooler now installed your problem will "evaporate". You may not need the vent extension. I have the Ford cooler on my car and have never had any weeping or vent problems.

As an aside make sure you always use the Ford specified GT transaxle fluid for our application. Special formula made by Ricardo for this specific transaxle.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Stewart,

My experience with transaxle cooler equipped cars is that the weeping stops because the internal temp of the transaxle is much lower. In other words, it is very likely you will not need to add the breather if you have the cooler.

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
Stewart,

My experience with transaxle cooler equipped cars is that the weeping stops because the internal temp of the transaxle is much lower. In other words, it is very likely you will not need to add the breather if you have the cooler.
That [unfortunately] was not the case...within two days of the cooler install (100 miles later) the weeping continued..as before.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That [unfortunately] was not the case...within two days of the cooler install (100 miles later) the weeping continued..as before.

That's unusual. I installed the Ford Racing cooler and the problem was solved.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

According to several engineers, the breather is needed in addition to the cooler. That is why I have both. Alex's breather looks great as well.:thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Stewart, I never had a leak, but I installed one of Analogdesigner's extensions. Much less obtrusive than the Alex's breather. Look for his posts.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Mine weeped, in fact it sobbed.

I fitted a breather extension and the transcooler and it's as dry as the Sahara on one of their special dry days.

I suspect the breather would have solved the problem without the cooler, however the cooler looks, erm, cool! :biggrin

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
According to several engineers, the breather is needed in addition to the cooler. That is why I have both. Alex's breather looks great as well.:thumbsup
Alex's breather is on the way..!
Thanks
:thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Stewart!!
Good move, you just bought a part from the guy that helped design the suspension on your car. Furthermore, there is not a better, more stand up guy in the auto community than Alex. He is no longer a FMC employee, but has remained 110% committed to helping our FGT community. Thank you!
Cheers,
daniel

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Just for the record.

The weep is normal on most cars. The early Mustangs had a hose that came off the breather and was tacked to the underbody. That worked a bit like the breather Alex has, but the hose would break over time. = mess on the diff area. Alex's stuff won't break.

The Fox and SN95 Mustangs have the same problem as the GT with the breather. = small mess on the diff area. Pretty much any live axle Ford RWD.

My C5Z06 same issue a weep, some say they were over filled and GM calls it normal. = small mess on the diff area. Same deal on the Siverado.

The common theme is that you have to jack up these kind of cars to really see the mess. I guess the bean counters have been saving a few bucks since the 50's. :lol, Out of sight , out of mind. Even some of the Asain FWD cars show the same signs. Guess they have bean counters too.

I have added similar breathers lines or systems to all my nicer Ford's / Chevy's over the years.

But, the GT sees lots of time with the clam up and it's easy to see the mess compared to the others. Perfectly normal IMO, not critical, just ugly.

Alex's breather will solve the ugly issue for sure. A Trans cooler in many cases will solve that problem and extend the life of the trans.