The Road to the Rally

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Western Utah doesn't change too much - the rock structures are a bit more to my liking, but the roads are still pretty straight and uninteresting - all on US 50 ("the loneliest road in the US")

View attachment 38978

View attachment 38979

View attachment 38980

View attachment 38981

View attachment 38982

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Heading east on I-70 from Salina, the scenery, while still a desert type format, becomes more interesting, especially through Spotted Wolf Canyon and going over the San Rafael Reef and finally the Book Cliffs between Green River and Grand Junction.

View attachment 38983

View attachment 38984

View attachment 38985

View attachment 38986

And, I got there in time for dinner, so I called MJ and she and I had a nice dinner and evening together - she says hello to all her Forum Friends!!

View attachment 38987

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
80,000 on a Ford GT ?
I wonder how many miles he has put on his DD...

My GMC K3500 (1-ton) has 348,000, and my Mustang fastback has 236,000.

Last edited:

MiamiGT

Jan 11, 2015
Godspeed, Mr Ralphie !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
Can you let'r rip on those western Utah roads or do you have to be a little carful with the Po-Po?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I thought reefs were in oceans?

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I'm never too old to have a role model. Do it. Ralphie.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I thought reefs were in oceans?

Good doctor, it's the Cretaceous Seaway. Every kid ought to go to that part of the country for a geology lesson.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good barrister amateur geologist, the sea of Kansas was left by the glaciers, fresh water organisms only. I thought reefs were salt water organisms. While you can find many layers of shells, they are molluscs and no reef type organisms. Any geologists here?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Ridden my bike through here many times. The entire state of Utah is not to be missed.
http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/capitol_reef.htm

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Good barrister amateur geologist, the sea of Kansas was left by the glaciers, fresh water organisms only. I thought reefs were salt water organisms. While you can find many layers of shells, they are molluscs and no reef type organisms. Any geologists here?

Good doctor and even more amateurish geologist. The Sea of Kansas was 200 million years before the Cretaceous Sea, which was indeed a salt water sea stretching from the Arctic Ocean to the Atlantic.

It took me 15 minutes to research that on the internet. 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Don't ever question me again.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha ha, touche.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Good doctor and even more amateurish geologist. The Sea of Kansas was 200 million years before the Cretaceous Sea, which was indeed a salt water sea stretching from the Arctic Ocean to the Atlantic.

It took me 15 minutes to research that on the internet. 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Don't ever question me again.

LOL

Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Reef applies to rock formations as well as coral.

The San Rafael Reef is the eastern edge of the San Rafael Swell (and don't say "I thought swells were on the water"), and was oceanfront property from time to time way before you were born. The reef is sandstone. The swell is mainly sandstone and limestone.

For more of the best driving roads in the US, visit Capitol Reef National Park. (and no, it's not coral either)

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Reef applies to rock formations as well as coral.

For more of the best driving roads in the US, visit Capitol Reef National Park. (and no, it's not coral either)

See attachment on post #30

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ridden my bike through here many times. The entire state of Utah is not to be missed.
http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/capitol_reef.htm

Perfect way to see it. I've been there only once on my bike, but it's on my short list for a return visit. Utah is probably the most beautiful state in my opinion, although Alaska is right up there too.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Steve, do you hang out in Flaming Gorge?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
August 11: I left Grand Junction about 7:30 on Tuesday morning, heading south/southeast on US 50 and US 550 below Montrose - this is the start of the "Million Dollar Highway" which runs from Ouray to Silverton and which is part of the "San Juan Skyway." What a road! - cliffs over the edge, no guardrails, etc. (http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/635-million-dollar-highway-usa.html). It was also my 1st experience using my new GoPro camera, so please - no comments on the filming, but I thought it came out ok. Anyway, this video starts out just north of Ouray, and continues over the top of Red Mountain Pass (the break in the footage at 12:39 is due to a 15 minute stop due to road construction) - it's long, but enjoy it if you have the time -

[video=youtube;1ritQcejaz4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ritQcejaz4[/video]

Video updated on 08/18 with an additional 9 minutes added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ritQcejaz4

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I like it when you type dirty to me Frank.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
597 miles closer to Rally X. Seattle to Butte. 2500 to go.

First across eastern Montana then N. Dakota and into Minn. today.