The GT's Back From Rich! THANKS!

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
John
That’s a big help. I just passed that list to the selling FERRARI Dealer so they understand all fluids need to be replaced .
Do you generally do all those replacement fluids yourself? If so where do you obtain the parts and supplies?
Pete

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
John
That’s a big help. I just passed that list to the selling FERRARI Dealer so they understand all fluids need to be replaced .
Do you generally do all those replacement fluids yourself? If so where do you obtain the parts and supplies?
Pete
Ps
I assume the axle bolts were failing . Was that on all 05-06 models?

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
Unless they have serviced a GT before and have GT shop manuals I doubt they would know the right fluids and right method to change everything. There are hard to find bleeders for the cooling system and clutch fluid and a specific uselful tool for removing the air when doing coolant flush with the proper Ford coolant. If i were you, I would almost prefer the Ferrari dealer doesnt touch it.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
John
I guess , best to discuss further with the General Manager of the Ferrari dealer to be sure they are equipped to do the fluid maintenance work or have a mechanic with experience on the GT.
cant thank you enough .
Pete

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ps
I assume the axle bolts were failing . Was that on all 05-06 models?
Yes, and if you have no records of it being done then check with your Ford Dealer to get a copy of the OASIS report, which shows all Ford activity on the car (regular service + warranty). If it doesn't show then get it done, but the Ford parts may not be available, Accufab has a kit. If the Ford repair was done then you need to dig deeper. Ford released two kits, with the first having the same failure mode (it wasn't understood until later). So depending on the date and part numbers you may have to have it done again. If OASIS shows it being done check with Rich to be sure which one it was.

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
Twobjshelbys
Thanks for your reply . Guess the torque was too much for the hardened bolts? I
will definitely follow up . Loosing a wheel is a major concern of mine, happened once in Maine , do not want to revisit that experience!
Are there any other monsters hiding out there with these fabulous GT s ?
Pete

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Twobjshelbys
Thanks for your reply . Guess the torque was too much for the hardened bolts? I
will definitely follow up . Loosing a wheel is a major concern of mine, happened once in Maine , do not want to revisit that experience!
Are there any other monsters hiding out there with these fabulous GT s ?
Pete

The bolts failed due to some chemical reaction... There is info on it here somewhere. The wheel doesn't come off. You just suddenly "stop going"...

Beware of the gauge monster. Eventually you will have failures. Again, many topics on the subject. To boil it down small gauge replacements are available directly from Autometer (DO NOT GET FORD! THEY WILL FAIL AGAIN!). Large gauges (speedo, tach) are more difficult. Your choices are: Replace the entire gauge panel, replace with Ford (which will fail later) or try a rebuild. Again, search will bring you to many topics on this subject.

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Great looking car and I love the color choice! :cool:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The dealer indicated all fluids were changed . We’ll see . I’ get the records to verify.
thx
pete
WHAT YEAR CUP CAR? Do you drive in PCA CLUB RACE SERIES? Ive always wanted to do that!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
WHAT YEAR CUP CAR? Do you drive in PCA CLUB RACE SERIES? Ive always wanted to do that!

Attachments

• 71DC70EB-0137-44AD-9951-0B909F44BBE7_1_201_a.jpeg
    71DC70EB-0137-44AD-9951-0B909F44BBE7_1_201_a.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
2005 996 cup . Great car 2575 lbs 400hp naturally aspirated. More importantly very safe with complete roll cage . Yes I do Porsche HPDE each season first event is April 14 Limerock ct. great way of safely discovering the car’s envelope and improve driving skill.
get out there !
Pete

Reactions: Austinj427

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
Thanks for the warning , I can live with the gauge monster . Glad to hear there is nothing else lurking out there.
Pete

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
2005 996 cup . Great car 2575 lbs 400hp naturally aspirated. More importantly very safe with complete roll cage . Yes I do Porsche HPDE each season first event is April 14 Limerock ct. great way of safely discovering the car’s envelope and improve driving skill.
get out there !
Pete
See the above picture

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Are you going to cups and saucers at the Glen?

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
Roketman,
Ill be at the Glen on July 24 to 26th. and September 21 to 22nd with NNJR northern NJ.
I was not planning on the Cups and Saucers event. Are you going to that event?
Thx for all the info . I'm learning to navigate the site " Slowly", and did some research on the axle bolts and have it all now.
Pete

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Yes I am going to cups and saucers we have 12 6 cups going

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Just in time for springtime to arrive. Looks great. Rich is the best.

6 Speed

Jan 23, 2020
I am on the other side of Route 17 from you.
I ship the car out to Rich and then fly out and drive it back. Well worth the cost to have the car done right and always an enjoyable drive back whether it is the US or Canadian route.
That's one way of doinf it ….Will give that some thought
pete