The GT Guys in FL & 1/15/07 track day - PLEASE RESPOND ASAP!!!

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Not wanting to cheat you guys out of a promised track day & weekend w/Dennis & Rich “The GT Guys”, I’ve been making calls & came up w/2 options. PLEASE GIVE YOUR FEEDBACK ASAP & LET ME KNOW WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND (if you don't care either way, just say "EITHER"). The place w/the most interest gets it. Keep in mind that the Homestead day won’t be open for long (busy season), so the sooner I can give either of them a “yes” answer & get the contract signed, the better!! There were close to 20 people who were a “yes” for the 1st Sebring event, so I’m hoping all of you guys will be able to make the switch to Homestead if necessary! (To keep it easy, Chin Motorsports offered to manage the event that day & provide the instructors no matter which place we choose.)

Below, I’ve listed both options w/details & the pros/cons of each place to make it easier for those of you new to the track to decide. There are other dates available at both Homestead & Sebring from April 2007 onward (weekdays), but I’d rather not wait that long & I know some of you really want “The GT Guys” here… I'LL KEEP AN UPDATED TALLY OF YOUR RESPONSES ON THIS POST & AS SOON AS WE HAVE ENOUGH FOR ONE OF THE DATES, I'LL LET YOU KNOW - we'll book it & start registration back up ASAP. Once we get the date set, I’ll post hotel info & we’ll be able to work on organizing some activities, dinners, etc for the weekend.

1/15/07 Homestead Miami Speedway
General Info:
2.21 mile road course w/14 turns. The 2 straights are 1,760’ long. 20° banking in turns.
http://www.homesteadmiamispeedway.com/documents/FullRoadCourse3-06-Web.pdf
http://www.homesteadmiamispeedway.com/images/hms_rental_facility_lg.gif

Price:
$800 – $1000/pp
Price will be about the same. It’s around $2000 less to rent the Homestead track, but we will now be paying $100/instructor & Mark to come to Homestead. Chin Motorsports grp is staying at Sebring that weekend; they are just going to use the short track. As before, any money left over in the end will be refunded to you & price will be set based on how many people want to go.

Pros:
1. The GT Guys have agreed to come to S FL for the weekend (located near many GT owners) & will then provide support at the track!!
2. Covered garage (indoor area for “The GT Guys”; large pit area also available)
3. Increased safety (there are more outs & less obstacles than Sebring’s club course; long straights for safe passing; longer track for less traffic)
4. Track is a little bit smoother than at Sebring
5. Located in South FL (where much of the interest was); near Miami, lots to do & see in South FL
6. Easier on the cars & (per FL Chris) more favorable to the high horsepower cars than the short track (longer track w/a few straights means less wear & tear on the car than the short track & faster!)
7. They have a large tented area for lunch & to stay under in case of adverse weather
8. Will still be able to plan a weekend of social/fun activities prior to track day – weather in FL is usually perfect!
9. We’d have the whole track to ourselves
10. We could easily accommodate as many GTs as want to come!!
11. More space for guests to hang out
12. The hotels should have plenty of room

Cons:
1. Hotel is not located directly on the track (a couple of options w/prices will be given after the date is chosen)
2. Not as much historical significance as Sebring for the GT
3. A couple hrs farther south than Sebring (for non-south FL drivers)

1/15/07 club course (short track) at Sebring
General Info:
Rather than taking up the whole track, Skip Barber's school will only be on one side of the track (by the straights, skid pads, & classrooms). That will give us the other side to ourselves, which consists of the 1.8 mile club course. The club course is the most widely rented track at Sebring for car clubs.

Price:
$700-$900/pp
$2500 less than the original track day since we don’t have the entire track. Also, compared to Homestead, we won’t have to pay anything for the instructors (since they will already be at Sebring). This would be about $100-$150 less expensive/pp than the Homestead choice.

Pros:
1. They can accommodate our group size w/o a problem
2. Would still be a private event w/our own instructors, track, lunch area
3. Would still be at Sebring (more centrally located; a racetrack w/historical significance for the GT)
4. Will still be able to plan social/fun activities the weekend before the track day
5. The GT Guys will be here all weekend
6. Chin Motorsports will already be there over the weekend (less driving for them & less money to give them for the event since they don’t have to go anywhere)

Cons:
1. Sharing the track w/another group (even though they are on the other side)
2. We’d no longer have an indoor classroom (though they would still have a place to teach)
3. (per FL Chris) the short track doesn’t favor high hp cars (like the GT) – not as fast
4. No indoor room for lunch or rain – need to rent a tent or have lunch at the hotel (long walk or short drive)
5. The 2 long straights wouldn’t be available – which means lots of extra wear & tear on brakes/tires/transmission from constant braking & accelerating through turns; won’t be able to reach the fast speeds w/o the straights
6. Track is a little rough in some areas
7. 1.8 instead of the original 3.7 miles (cars will be crammed closer together w/less room & no straight to pass on (increased safety hazard, especially for newer track drivers)
8. Would need to rent Porto-potties (Skip Barber school would have all the indoor facilities)
9. The GT Guys would just have an open, uncovered area to work with (no covered garage/paddock & no real pit area)
10. Most of the hotels are booked due to Aviation Expo (people would be spread out over 2-3 hotels)

Track Response

Homestead
1. SuperB/Brian & wife/2nd driver (1st choice)
2. Piccola/MJ (1st choice)
3. Bony/Daniel (1st choice)
4. Tachy/Eliot & son/guest (1st choice)
5. 1418/Manny (1st choice)
*6. Jasper/John/guest (1st choice)
7. Florida Chris (1st choice)
8. Russ Oasis (1st choice)
9. Townshend/Erick (1st choice)
10. Alex A; 2 cars (1st choice)
*11. Jimfro/guest (2nd choice)
12. Tungsten/Don
13. Abolfaz/Mike

Sebring's club course
1. SuperB/Brian & wife/2nd driver (2nd choice)
2. Piccola/MJ (2nd choice)
3. Tachy/Eliot & son/guest (2nd choice)
4. 1418/Manny (2nd choice)
*5. Jasper/John/guest (2nd choice)
6. Townshend/Erick (2nd choice)
*7. Jimfro/guest (1st choice)
8. K-P Garage/Kevin (1st choice)

Last edited:

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I don't think we should help Sebring with half a track after hanging us out to dry, and without a contract there is no point in discussing it.

Homestead sounds great to me, but I'd probably attend either one.

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
I'm in for either location, but it sounds like Miami will be best for a novice like me. I haven't been to South Beach in a while anyway!!

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
SuperB said:
I don't think we should help Sebring with half a track after hanging us out to dry, and without a contract there is no point in discussing it.

Homestead sounds great to me, but I'd probably attend either one.

I agree Brian & would rather do Homestead. :thumbsup The people I've talked to thus far have been great, & (compared to the small track) it appears to be better suited for both us & The GT Guys to work (being in a garage as opposed to just outside). I still wanted to give you owners the choice. Chris & Bony had also e-mailed that due to the benefits of the larger Homestead track, they prefer Homestead over Sebring's short track.

Brian, I'll try my best to make sure that this problem is not repeated. Homestead will get us their contract as soon as we say "yes" to them. If it's leaning that way by tomorrow afternoon I'll ask them to draft one up & send it to me. Either way, there will be ongoing communication w/them. However, I can't sign the contract on faith that there will be enough people. Too much risk for me & too much money to put down. I will start registration this time ONLY AFTER the contract has been signed & it's a done deal.

Now of course Sebring has no problem getting the "small track" contract to us. :bored I had asked their GM to offer us a reasonable discount for all of the inconveniences: primarily for (1) the numerous downfalls w/using the smaller track and (2) for admitting to withholding the contract from us, failing to disclose that our date was in jeopardy while intentionally misleading us, & finally pulling it out from under us. A free "1/2 track" (or even 1/2 price, which would still be 100% profit for Sebring) would go a long way toward restoring the damage done to us (their customers). It is no surprise that I haven't received a return call or e-mail from them on this request. I'm sorry to write negatively about Sebring, because I know that they have a great track & many of you were looking forward to it. Customer service there really stinks though (from my experience). :frown

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Homestead, dependent on renting a car. Any idea if the GrandAm Mustang or Corvette guy will deliver cars down to Homestead? Any other rentals available?

No interest in renting a racer for the short course at Sebring.

South Beach is great.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
TACHY said:
I'm in for either location, but it sounds like Miami will be best for a novice like me. I haven't been to South Beach in a while anyway!!

Sounds good! Will your son be going as well as a 2nd driver or guest? I have NEVER been to south beach & plan to have a blast all weekend! Will be a great time!!

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
bony said:
Homestead, dependent on renting a car. Any idea if the GrandAm Mustang or Corvette guy will deliver cars down to Homestead? Any other rentals available?

No interest in renting a racer for the short course at Sebring.

South Beach is great.

Bony, I'll call the guy tomorrow for you & see what he says. I'll also ask Mark if there are other places in South FL to rent cars. I believe there are & will get that info to you as well tomorrow.

Thanks!

MJ

Last edited:

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Brian, will your wife be coming as a 2nd driver (similar to your Sebring post)?

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Are you kidding??? Home field advantage!!!!!!!!

Bony-- you ready to cave in and take me up on my rental?

Either is fine for me, but prefer Homestead.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Manny, my friend!
:thumbsup I am ready to rent your Prius once you confirm that you have Stage 6th it and can produce video of Joe calling home and the 'busa gang with their tails between their legs. :thumbsup
waiting here in Fresno, your pal,
Bony

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
piccola said:
Sounds good! Will your son be going as well as a 2nd driver or guest? I have NEVER been to south beach & plan to have a blast all weekend! Will be a great time!!
Count my son in as a guest. He is hopeful someone with the credentials and skill will take him on the track, but he will be 1 month shy of his 16th birthday and license.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Yes Picco, my wife too I think.

Bony, you can rent almost anything (other than a Ford GT) in S.FL. Just don't tell them it's going to the track. :biggrin

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
TACHY said:
Count my son in as a guest. He is hopeful someone with the credentials and skill will take him on the track, but he will be 1 month shy of his 16th birthday and license.

You are correct that he won't be able to track w/o a license. He also won't be able to ride as a passenger (he would need to either be 18 or 16 w/parent's consent). I will be happy to add him on as a guest though!

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
This isn't something that I need to know right now (it can even be added after you register), but if you can, please let me know if you are bringing > 1 car, a 2nd driver, a passenger, &/or the # of guests. It will help me w/preparations to have an idea how many total people to expect & their roles.

I will continually update the bottom of the first post as we go along, so everyone can see what we've got going on.

Thanks guys!!
MJ

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
yes it's yours, sorry no, but you can share? :thumbsdow

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
jasper said:
yes it's yours, sorry no, but you can share? :thumbsdow

You kind of lost me buddy! :lol Are you asking if you can be a passenger w/me? :banana

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
NO worried about corners :willy

just echoing brians sentiments :thumbsup

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
jasper said:
NO worried about corners :willy

just echoing brians sentiments :thumbsup

Okay John. I know you're coming, so I'll put you down as my Aussie guest from down under. :cheers Bony can be your translator for all us "normal" folk w/no accent who speak English - not Kangaroo... :skep Might as well keep the two trouble makers together... I guess you aren't bringing your little yellow singing GT then? :rofl Oh & what about those corners? Corners are what I'm most excited about!! :banana How about if I take a driving class w/Stefan before going? Will you ride w/me then??? :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SuperB said:
Yes Picco, my wife too I think.

Bony, you can rent almost anything (other than a Ford GT) in S.FL. Just don't tell them it's going to the track. :biggrin

Hey Brian,
Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Looks like all the Shelby Mustangs from Hertz are spoken for. Would like to come out and play something besides pocket pool.
Cheers,
daniel

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
piccola said:
Okay John. I know you're coming, so I'll put you down as my Aussie guest from down under. :cheers Bony can be your translator for all us "normal" folk w/no accent who speak English - not Kangaroo... :skep Might as well keep the two trouble makers together... I guess you aren't bringing your little yellow singing GT then? :rofl Oh & what about those corners? Corners are what I'm most excited about!! :banana How about if I take a driving class w/Stefan before going? Will you ride w/me then??? :biggrin

Hey MJ...
Easy on my pal from Ozland, we Yanks have never had better buddies that the boys from down under. Any clue how many died next to us in Viet Nam?
Percentage wise they took a bigger hit than we did.

Tell you one thing, you NEVER want them on anyside but yours when in comes to a brawl. Take a few of those miners from the outback and not only will they clean out the bar, they will empty the town. Now that being said, John is a perfect gentleman, and not a trouble maker,,, well only sometimes
when he... well I let him stand for himself :lol