The 2005/2006 Ford GT Takata Airbag Recall Program

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I was able to get both 2006 GT’s driver and passenger side bags done last month. Hoping to get my 05 done in Florida soon.

Jeffrey Tausch

Aug 19, 2019
I had received about 20 notices from Ford to get my recall taken car of. I had 2 Mustang as well that needed the work performed. Ford Motor had even called me to get the cars in. I explained to them that we have winters where I live and lots of rainy weather in the Spring. He said would it be okay if they sent a tech out to do the work at my place. I said great. The middle of July they came out. The tech had never done one on a GT and viewed some video before he came. About 3 weeks later, I too the GT to a car show and noticed while in the bright sun that the air bag lid was not lined up correctly in the hole/area that it was recessed in and a lot of indentations, scratches nicks to the leather dash cover etc from the small scew driver he used to pry the lid off . I called the dealer back on the following Monday. They made an appointment for me to bring it in. I took it back and they had another mechanic look at it. Supposedly they took it apart again and said that there was noting they could do to make it better than it is. The lid gape is close to the top like it should be and the line thru the lid is okay, the bottom gap is a good 5/16" low. I figured they broke some tabs off when the took it apart and it was sagging, but they insured me all the tabs are there. I feel that the air bag must have had some shims to align it, but they said no. I am very unhappy with all so far. I called Ford and went through many departs and was told to take it to another dealer . I set up an appointment to do so, but was somewhat insulted by the fellow I talked to. He said bring it in and they would take some pictures and contact Ford as to what they were to do and get paid for. he told me to take it back toe the fixing dealer. I told him Ford told me to take it to another dealer. I was suppose to run it in this morning, but it was raining and the work appointment was put on hold until better weather. I was told by an employee of another dealer 50 miles away from me that GT owners are suppose to get preferential treatment. I sure don't feel I have gotten it and very dissatisfied with the results of the recall repairs. Has anyone else had this issue?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
It certainly sounds like your first Ford mechanic may not have been certified to work on a Ford GT. But I'm not really sure what the certification process is, so I could be the one that is mistaken.

I personally would not have my GT in the hands of a mechanic that (1) did not seem certified to work on the Ford GT, and (2) had never done one before.

Even though my selected Ford mechanic is certified and experienced, I personally stayed and watched him do each airbag, and even took photos. I helped remove and replace the rather long dash panel, to make sure it didn't bend unnecessarily and didn't get scratched or scratch anything.

No issues here. It's fairly straightforward R & R.

Reactions: 93extxdps

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Still getting notices here—almost comical .

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Scarsdale Ford NY did mine in my garage.
It was seamless.
Best,
Mark

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
The dealer scratched my dash on the right side during replacement of the passenger side bag.

Also put a large dimple in the door sill plate on the passenger side where he laid across it
to reach up under the dash.

Dealership not doing anything about mine either.

Working to get certified so I can do my other car myself.

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
My Yellow '06 and my fathers Heritage are both at my place, where I had them completed last week by the concierge. The guy from Packyweb showed up and seemed very nice.

After having the Heritage half torn apart I asked him how many he has done now (assuming he's the Chicagoland expert).... He replied, oh this is my first time ever working on a GT :oops:... Seriously!!! I had to restrain myself for saying anything I might regret so I let him finish. He broke a small tab on the steering wheel screw cap on my Yellow GT which was no big deal and it's fixed now.

I think Ford screwed this up big time.... The whole reason I was hesitant to have them done in the first place is trusting a local dealer to do it properly with a GT technician. The concept of the concierge created a false impression that they would be sending out their best GT certified technicians to complete this task... I went thru both cars and they seem to have been done correctly but now I will re-check.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
so I had mine done today by the Ford "team" showed up at my house, had to do it three times: First time they did not have the screws completely in the right steel cover, second time they had the steel plate too tight and the pass bag no longer aligned with the dash, Third time was a charm. Was a bit apprehensive about anyone touching my car, but it came out ok, I watched them and took these pictures. Did not even show up in a Ford!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6924.jpg
    IMG_6924.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6926.jpg
    IMG_6926.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6928.jpg
    IMG_6928.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6929.jpg
    IMG_6929.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6931.jpg
    IMG_6931.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 26

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_6934.jpg
    IMG_6934.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6936.jpg
    IMG_6936.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6938.jpg
    IMG_6938.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6939.jpg
    IMG_6939.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 15

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Where do I get one of those AIRBAG RECALL polo shirts? I kid...

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
the one guy was very heavy and I was worried when he was lying on my pass seat! Certainly not the team I expected, they were doing all of the different Fords, not just the GTs. They younger guy said at the end : you made my day letting me work on your car!"

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
so I had mine done today by the Ford "team" showed up at my house, had to do it three times: First time they did not have the screws completely in the right steel cover, second time they had the steel plate too tight and the pass bag no longer aligned with the dash, Third time was a charm. Was a bit apprehensive about anyone touching my car, but it came out ok, I watched them and took these pictures. Did not even show up in a Ford!!!

Was Thomas one of the guys? He's supposed to do mine next week.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
Yes I think so just watch the team not the usual one would think to work on a gt they do all of the fords in the area so the gt for them is very special.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Im pretty sure Rich Brooks is now certified to install these. Was just at his shop and he had a stack of airbag initators.

Rich Brooks = The GT Garage LLC

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Hummmmmm …..

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
I love the shirts, the reminded me of the old TV series, Batman, where the bad guys wore shirts that were labeled, "Henchman" was one of them I remember.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
I second that emotion wholeheartedly! Guy said the same thing, never worked on a Ford GT before and the guys looked like Pinto repairmen

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Got mine done (Quicksilver) last week, came to my house - appears to have done a good job as all looks put back together properly - very nice young man and said he'd done a couple of them prior to mine

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Yeah Steve, one of those was probably mine. I was the first passenger side they had ever done. I had to show them pictures off this forum so they could figure out how to get it out. They left the e-brake handle up and scuffed the leather when he pulled off the lower dash. I was able to smooth that out later but it was irritating. It was highly stressful watching them pry and pull. I always love being the guinea pig. 😄

Got mine done (Quicksilver) last week, came to my house - appears to have done a good job as all looks put back together properly - very nice young man and said he'd done a couple of them prior to mine