Tall GT Drivers - A Solution

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Ever since I purchased my GT I have wanted to track the car. The one requirement that I could not meet was the fact that you have to wear a helmut while driving on a track. There are no exceptions to this rule, and being 6-3, 250 lbs, I searched for an answer. I didn't think that removing foam from the original seat was a solution for me. After talking to Don from Safecraft, I ordered an aluminum race seat. Since my ass is quite large, I ordered the widest seat available, 18 inch. We determined that the layback angle be 40 degrees. Then I proceeded to build a frame to hold the seat. After a lot of trial and error I settled on the design that is included in the photos. The fit is almost perfect in that the back of the seat does not touch the harness bar,and I have about an inch of space between the top of my Bell BR-1 helmut, and the inner roof of the GT. This system does not afford an adjustable seat track. But I don't think anyone else will be driving my car on a race track. It takes less than 5 minutes to pull the original seat and replace with the race seat and frame, which I will only use for track days. The lap and sub belts stay with the race seat and frame. Steve at Safecraft has offered to do a CAD drawing of the seat frame which I can then post.

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc231/gtryhorn/?action=view&current=img_2207.jpg
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc231/gtryhorn/?action=view&current=img_2213.jpg
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc231/gtryhorn/?action=view&current=img_2214.jpg
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc231/gtryhorn/?action=view&current=img_2215.jpg

Remember, this is my solution and it may not be yours. Please use this info as it is intended. To show an option for getting a taller driver into a GT with a helmut on.

Gary Tryhorn

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Wow, looks pretty good. Luckily I'm 5'9" so I don't need it, but if I did, that looks like a very nice solution. Don told me about your seat last week when I ordered the new extinguisher bracket. You guys are doing some great modifications, keep em coming!:thumbsup

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Hi Gary.

Would love to see the work you did on the track seats (your pics are dead)

Can you repost the pics?
Im struggling to fit in the GT with helmet on and need a more comfortable solution than the mega slouching I have to do with stock seats.
Stock seat leaves me not "in" the seat and sliding all over the place.

Stuart Appleby

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You have dug up a thread from 2007...... I dont think either of the posters are still here.

Knights Auto, used to lower the seat bottom, that has been successful for a few people here. This looks completely stock, vs changing out the whole seat. However there was a recent post that Knights seemed too busy with other projects to bother with GT stuff anymore. But maybe worth a call?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I think a lot of good/high end shops could lower seat bottom properly in same manner as Knights if need be

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Hi Gary.

Would love to see the work you did on the track seats (your pics are dead)

Can you repost the pics?
Im struggling to fit in the GT with helmet on and need a more comfortable solution than the mega slouching I have to do with stock seats.
Stock seat leaves me not "in" the seat and sliding all over the place.

Stuart Appleby

Hi Stuart,
I found the photos of the seat frame and seat that I produced in 2007. Hopefully they are included here.IMG_2213.JPGIMG_2214.JPGIMG_2215.JPGIMG_2207.JPG

When I built this seating system, my idea was to insert it only when tracking. It was so comfortable and kept me in the seat when normal driving, that I have left it in permanently. Driving for 8 to 10 hours in this seat is more comfortable than the original Recaro seat. The frame is built with some 3/4 inch box tubing and some 1/4 inch plate in the corners. This is one of the first welding jobs I did with my new wire welder. I am not a welder, but it came out reasonably well. The seat was purchased from Safecraft, I think it came from Texas. If you need any more info, my phone number is 925 330-4981, email is gtryhorn20@gmail.com

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
My advice
Buy a dedicated track car
The GT is to special to make in to a track car
Occasional track days is all I would consider

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
My advice
Buy a dedicated track car
The GT is to special to make in to a track car
Occasional track days is all I would consider

I did have a E36 fully prepped M3 that I used in the 2000's but got rid of it.

I don't want to do much tracking in the GT, maybe few times a year.

Getting back out there for a second time isn't worth it unless I can invest time/resources into sitting in the car properly and with proper harnesses.

Reactions: white out

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Hi Stuart,
I found the photos of the seat frame and seat that I produced in 2007. Hopefully they are included here.View attachment 64996View attachment 64997View attachment 64998View attachment 64995

When I built this seating system, my idea was to insert it only when tracking. It was so comfortable and kept me in the seat when normal driving, that I have left it in permanently. Driving for 8 to 10 hours in this seat is more comfortable than the original Recaro seat. The frame is built with some 3/4 inch box tubing and some 1/4 inch plate in the corners. This is one of the first welding jobs I did with my new wire welder. I am not a welder, but it came out reasonably well. The seat was purchased from Safecraft, I think it came from Texas. If you need any more info, my phone number is 925 330-4981, email is gtryhorn20@gmail.com

Thanks for the info and pics.... good food for thought.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Ive been in contact with Steve at Knights and going to do the 2 inch lower cushion seat drop for the odd track day.

Cant do anymore with the OE seat position.

Stuart

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Hey Gulf GT, are you the person sitting in your profile photo? Just askin! ;)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Gulf GT has not owned that car for many years. It is owned by BAT. Those are not his legs in the photo.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
That pic to the left is 3 years ago when kid 3 was a kid (10)....He won't fit in the GT before his teenage years are up.
I should do a new shot with green shirt and the same helmet.

If your talking about me... yes Im a new GT owner and still dizzy with my purchase.... Picked the car up just recently 5,875 days ago

Last edited:
Reactions: extrap

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
FYI.... On seat lowering from Knights

Cost for the seat lowering is $2,000 and about a week to do the change.

email for Steve if you have any questions.... steve@tailoredbyknights.com

Shipping address..

Steve Hemstock
Knights Upholstery Inc.
1316 Marinette Ave.
Marinette, WI. 54143

Reactions: Specracer