Taking a look at a potential car to buy prior to PPI

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Hi Guys,

I'm still researching and found few potential cars I'd like to purchase. (My largest purchase have been 911 so FGT is a whole new level for me, especially as it is buying an used collectible car).

Before hiring an expert to perform PPI for me, I'd like to fly around the country and inspect the car myself and rule out the absolute "no-go" GTs.

I understand that there is a thread for PPI list: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/28160-FGT-PPI-List but I believe I am not an expert enough to even inspect these.

So, here is my question. Is there any absolute red flag signs that I should notice on a car that I shouldn't even bother calling PPI inspection for?

I am mainly looking for 2006 GT with <2000 miles and lower the better.

Thank you in advance and my apology for asking many dumb questions. I am quite anxious to spend 300k~ for a car for the first time.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I'm hardly an expert but for me looking at FGTs isn't really much different than examining most other cars.

The FGT is really a very straightforward uncomplicated "supercar" and the PPI list you cited is a really good source.

Take your time, lots of good cars out there for sale with more for sure to come to the market, and good luck!

Last edited:

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I'm hardly an expert but for me looking at FGTs isn't really much different than examining most other cars.

The FGT is really a very straightforward uncomplicated "supercar" and the PPI list you cited is a really good source.

Take your time, lots of good cars out there for sale with more for sure to come to the market, and good luck!

Thank you very much! It is a very different stress from buying a Porsche GT car. Hopefully all is worth it.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
You say "collectible." If you are looking for a collectible, then you'll need to verify originality.

Many, if not most of us here bought the GT as a driver, not a collectible. If you pay collectible price and then drive it, the privilege of driving an "almost new" car will cost you dearly in depreciation. Maybe that doesn't matter to you.

If you want to put miles on the car, you can save a ton by buying a car with miles.

Are you a collector or a driver?

Either way, the money you spend flying around the country and then paying for a PPI could be put toward simply buying from a reputable dealer. That would relieve much anxiety. Unless the hunt is part of the experience for you.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
You say "collectible." If you are looking for a collectible, then you'll need to verify originality.

Many, if not most of us here bought the GT as a driver, not a collectible. If you pay collectible price and then drive it, the privilege of driving an "almost new" car will cost you dearly in depreciation. Maybe that doesn't matter to you.

If you want to put miles on the car, you can save a ton by buying a car with miles.

Are you a collector or a driver?

Either way, the money you spend flying around the country and then paying for a PPI could be put toward simply buying from a reputable dealer. That would relieve much anxiety. Unless the hunt is part of the experience for you.

I am a driver. I meant collectible as in the car has reached a "collectible" status unlike other cars of its age eg. Lambo Gallardo or F430.

I do understand that driving may lose value but I'd rather drive a near virgin car and make it used myself and lose some money than buy a car that has been driven few thousand miles by someone else. Just my personality.

Do you have any recommendations for reputable dealers? I know elite autos but would love to know other reputable dealers.

Thank you.

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Yes recommendations of reputable dealers would be nice!

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Try Chris at www.Desneuxmotorsports.com. Cell phone is 816-365-6010. He is located in Missouri. Has probably sold more Ford GT's in the last couple years than any other dealer. He buys them to sell.

Johntpr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 18, 2017
Rockland County, NY
I would also suggest you do a carfax on any potential GT prior to scheduling a PPI. Things like salvage titles, and serious prior accident history would be red flags.

There is a red GT on the bring a trailer site right now.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
2005 & 2006 are the same car. Why are you looking only for a 2006?

Ed

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
2005 & 2006 are the same car. Why are you looking only for a 2006?

Ed

Simply due to ease of turning on DRL when I import it into Canada. 05 needs all re-wiring craze which Id rather not go through.

Simply due to ease of turning on DRL when I import it into Canada. 05 needs all re-wiring craze which Id rather not go through.

????????????????? Please explain. As far as I know, 05 and 06 are the same.

David

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I would also suggest you do a carfax on any potential GT prior to scheduling a PPI. Things like salvage titles, and serious prior accident history would be red flags.

...but bear in mind that a 'clear' Carfax report doesn't always reflect reality. Repairs (both body and drivetrain) are sometimes done 'under the radar' on FGTs and many other cars. That's THEE main reason a PPI is a must.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
...but bear in mind that a 'clear' Carfax report doesn't always reflect reality. Repairs (both body and drivetrain) are sometimes done 'under the radar' on FGTs and many other cars. That's THEE main reason a PPI is a must.

In our experience, the vast majority of GT repairs are done outside of the insurance world and are not reflected in the carfax report.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
In our experience, the vast majority of GT repairs are done outside of the insurance world and are not reflected in the carfax report.

Must be good to insure these. Collect premium, never make payouts. Carfax was the best move insurance companies ever made..

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
????????????????? Please explain. As far as I know, 05 and 06 are the same.

David

I'm no expert but from my research, it seems like ECU is little different. 06 was the only year Canadian car was produced and Canadian gov't mandated DRL back then. Thus, 06 ECU can turn on/off DRL function (basically leaving headlight on all the time). 05 either needs 06 ECU to do that or needs rewiring to turn on fog light all the time. Not the headache anyone wants to go through.

I'm no expert but from my research, it seems like ECU is little different. 06 was the only year Canadian car was produced and Canadian gov't mandated DRL back then. Thus, 06 ECU can turn on/off DRL function (basically leaving headlight on all the time). 05 either needs 06 ECU to do that or needs rewiring to turn on fog light all the time. Not the headache anyone wants to go through.

I just did a search on the Forum for "Canadian cars" and there are lots of messages about what, if anything, needs to be done for imports, and several folks say that the DRL function can be turned on by any dealer. Lots of GTs sold from the US to Canada, according to the messages that show up in the search results.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yes, I think it would be quick to wire the GT such that the headlamps would always come on with the ignition.