Takata airbag recall

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Those actuators look like and can act like little land mines. I wonder how they will be safely disposed of.

image.jpg

Paul

GT Owner
Nov 7, 2006
Has any one had theirs replaced? Do they replace the horn button?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Just received my letter today....is the repair something that we can trust any Ford dealer to look after? Brian...I'm curious too..my cover is perfect.

K-P, I'm also interested in this question. Can any Ford dealer easily replace these without scratching things. I don't trust my Ford dealer's mechanics. Based on my experience and a fellow GT owner's stories about his experience. We are both concerned. Thanks.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Rick at Don Reid Ford did mine without a scratch. Horn button and cover remains the same. Same for passenger side. Original cover not replaced. Rick is one of their senior guys. Excellent work. He also comes out and drives car to back to work area so that porter doesn't mess with it.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

This is just a huge clusterf*ck. At this point, I don't think anyone buys this "high-humidity" BS anymore. Every one of the vehicles on that list should have their cars recalled. Takata obviously does not have the parts to do the job and certainly doesn't want to pony up the $$$ it takes to replace the millions of cars it has f'd up. I for one am not jazzed about the idea of shrapnel embedding itself into me if in the unfortunate event that I'm in a front-end collision. Class action lawsuit in 3....2....1........

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Now it looks like my truck is in the population as well as the GT

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
This is just a huge clusterf*ck. At this point, I don't think anyone buys this "high-humidity" BS anymore. Every one of the vehicles on that list should have their cars recalled. Takata obviously does not have the parts to do the job and certainly doesn't want to pony up the $$$ it takes to replace the millions of cars it has f'd up. I for one am not jazzed about the idea of shrapnel embedding itself into me if in the unfortunate event that I'm in a front-end collision. Class action lawsuit in 3....2....1........

If this is the right company, I would not be surprised if they go bankrupt from the recalls, then what?

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/financials/financials.asp?ticker=7218:JP

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
If this is the right company, I would not be surprised if they go bankrupt from the recalls, then what?

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/financials/financials.asp?ticker=7218:JP

So be it. They're not replacing our actuators now, so even if they go bankrupt, I don't see how there's any difference. The more immediate question is do I/we proactively shut them off? While the chances that my car in particular is affected is likely very miniscule, I'm not really sure I want to take that chance. On the other hand, I also don't like the idea of not having that added front end collision protection should I (hopefully not) need it. Catch 22.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Interesting

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-27/air-bag-maker-in-global-crisis-used-unusual-explosive.html

Takata fell 3.1 percent to 1,490 yen at the close of trading in Tokyo. The shares have plunged 51 percent this year.

Juichiro Takada, the son of Takezo who had taken over the business, was reluctant to enter a fledgling air-bag market he viewed as risky, according to Saburo Kobayashi, a former Honda engineer who spearheaded the automaker’s use of the safety devices.

Takada had reasons for reservations. Air bag deploy through contained, controlled explosions. Their designs are drawn from rocket propellant and munitions industries.

At a New Year’s party thrown by Honda in 1985, Takada said he wanted his company to stay out of air bags, Kobayashi wrote in his memoirs published in 2012.

“If anything happens to the air bags, Takata will go bankrupt,” Takada said, according to Kobayashi’s book. “We can’t cross a bridge as dangerous as this.”

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Won't matter if Takata goes bankrupt. The vehicle manufacturers will replace the parts regardless. It would take longer, but it will get done.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Won't matter if Takata goes bankrupt. The vehicle manufacturers will replace the parts regardless. It would take longer, but it will get done.

If longer than the gauges it could take a awhile. In the meantime do we disconnect the air bags. Anyone have any safety information to whether front air bags add a lot to safety if the passengers are wearing seat belts.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
I got my letter a while ago and just called the dealer. He says the parts won't be available till spring of next year which sounds like a load of BS to me. Any one else getting this?

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I got my letter a while ago and just called the dealer. He says the parts won't be available till spring of next year which sounds like a load of BS to me. Any one else getting this?

Sawgrass Ford can get the inflators in 7 days. There were 3 cars ahead of me. I will send you the name of the service manager via pm.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal

Wonder who will be at fault if someone is injured due to the lack of parts availability after the call to the dealer is made to schedule the repair, what a circus.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii

My dealer (in Hilo) scheduled my air bag work about 30 days after I requested an appointment.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Anybody original owners outside of HiloDave and the south fla crew get a recall notice yet?

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Anybody original owners outside of HiloDave and the south fla crew get a recall notice yet?

I'm original owner. My red 05 is already serviced. The 06 heritage has yet to get letter that we got for red car. Original owner on the 06 too. Don Reid Ford in Maitland, Florida got parts in about a week. See my prior posts. Any other questions let me know. kO

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida

Oh, and I'm DEFINITELY NOT south Florida!

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
So Cal here and no notice. What should happen is Takata execs. be prosecuted and hopefully jailed, and manufacturers who used Takata as their Airbag suppliers take a stand and make the fix readily available to all and not just people living in humid areas. where the heck are our federal prosecutors ? Oh wait they're busy going after Martha Stewart :rofl