Supercharger oil level check?

Does anyone ever check the stock s/c oil level? If so, is the black socket (allen) head in the snout (end plate) the level hole? I haven't been able to find any info in the service manual (not surprised ...).

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
From the pulley change procedure:

Fill supercharger to the bottom of the fill plug (with the supercharger flat on the table as installed position)
with Motorcraft Synthetic Supercharger Fluid (part #XL-4). It will take about 8oz. Reinstall fill plug.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
S/C oil available on Amazon and Ebay. Fill as per above, and Yes it's the black allen head plug passenger side of the snout. Stuff some rags under the hole and pump some in with a large syringe and clear hose until it runs out real good.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Before checking the level, I would advocate looking at the most probable cause for a leak - and that would be the front seal, immediately behind the pulley. If the SC is leaking from this front seal, the light SC oil typically snakes back along the underside of the snout toward the main body of the SC. With the engine OFF and using clean hands, simple feel along under the snout of the SC. This should all be dry. If you come out with a bit of oil on your hands, you may have some weeping from this front seal. Thankfully, these cases are rare. Assuming the underside of the snout is dry, I think that when you remove the black front allen plug, you get just a small ooze of oil coming out. This is perfect, and simply re-install the plug. Rarely should you have to add any oil but always good to check.

After WWabbits reply, I (having s/c oil on hand for another car) did just as he suggested. Oil was about full, but I topped it off anyway, let it drain onto a rag until it stopped running, then buttoned it back up. No evidence of a significant weep. I won't worry about it for another XXXX miles now.

Thanks to all the responders, I just wanted to check, never having had it done or done it myself since buying the car.

Before checking the level, I would advocate looking at the most probable cause for a leak - and that would be the front seal, immediately behind the pulley. If the SC is leaking from this front seal, the light SC oil typically snakes back along the underside of the snout toward the main body of the SC. With the engine OFF and using clean hands, simple feel along under the snout of the SC. This should all be dry. If you come out with a bit of oil on your hands, you may have some weeping from this front seal. Thankfully, these cases are rare. Assuming the underside of the snout is dry, I think that when you remove the black front allen plug, you get just a small ooze of oil coming out. This is perfect, and simply re-install the plug. Rarely should you have to add any oil but always good to check.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I had the GT Guys check mine last summer - still full now after 75K miles.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
supercarger filler plug

Guys if you are doing a pulley swap, drill and tap the top of the housing for a 1/4NPT so much easier to fill it up, just leave the lower plug out , plenty of rags, when the oil runs out the lower hole , that's it..

Attachments

• Supercharger filler 001.jpg
    Supercharger filler 001.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 364

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Whipples already have the filling hole on top and a sight glass too. Time to upgrade! :lol