Sunday Morning in the new GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
White Petunia:

All seals were in place, placard on the roof, stickers on windows, seals on doors, manual, keyfobs (sealed), sealed battery tender and cover, window sticker not affixed, etc.

The car had not been washed, and, as I mentioned, I ask that they not do so.

Reached the dealer today. He was understandably concerned about the missing "diffuser." He was present when the car was delivered to his dealership, and he was present when it was loaded into the trailer. Nothing was removed at any time, and it appears to be a quality control error.

In either case, he will secure a replacement and required fasteners (etc) in the morning and have it fed-ex'd.

Appreciate your concern and input.

- doc

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
To replace it costs $1239.00. Part number is 106B08, it takes a while to find on the Ford Computer, it is located with the section for parts on the bottom of the car and not on the rear end parts page. So, looks like someone owes you some money!

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Maybe someone decide it would make a nice piece of art and lifted it while parked? :bored

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Part number and catalogue location is much appreciated.

The dealer sent their original two dozen photos of the car as it was being received by them.

The diffuser is clearly absent in all photos.

They will get the ball rolling tomorrow

Thanks again,

- doc

Realize that if it had not been for observant eyes of GT Owners in this forum, it may have been overlooked for an indefinite period. Our appreciation to you all.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
YIKES!

Did your dealer get the car directly from Ford, or from another dealer?

(If the car came directly from Ford, your dealer's name will be printed on the window sticker at the lower left.)

stephen_becker

Permanent Vacation
Jan 26, 2006
atlanta, ga & charleston, sc
eshrink said:
Part number and catalogue location is much appreciated.

The dealer sent their original two dozen photos of the car as it was being received by them.

The diffuser is clearly absent in all photos.

They will get the ball rolling tomorrow

Thanks again,

- doc

Realize that if it had not been for observant eyes of GT Owners in this forum, it may have been overlooked for an indefinite period. Our appreciation to you all.

I live in Atlanta (Suwanee) - Where did you buy your GT from??

SGB

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Doc,

While your at it, did you check to see if the front and side skirts are on? Do you see any evidence of the rear diffuser having been on? I agree with White Petunia in that it is amazing that the factory could overlook this.... Maybe they were spending too much time with White Petunia's car!

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
AtomicGT said:
To replace it costs $1239.00. Part number is 106B08, it takes a while to find on the Ford Computer, it is located with the section for parts on the bottom of the car and not on the rear end parts page. So, looks like someone owes you some money!

If that piece is CF, that sounds like a rather cheap price:eek .
FYI, the number provided ISN'T a complete part number rather just a base number. It will get the parts guy going the right direction but there are more letters and numbers to it than just that. :thumbsup

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Nota4RE:

The side splitters are there.

The front is not.

Glad you brought that to our attention as well.

At this stage, one (me) would have strong reason to doubt the build quality of my particular car.

Shall let you know how we proceed...and thank you.

- doc

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
centerpunch said:
YIKES!

Did your dealer get the car directly from Ford, or from another dealer?

(If the car came directly from Ford, your dealer's name will be printed on the window sticker at the lower left.)

Those are good questions. If he provides me the VIN I can find out for sure.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Window sticker indicates that it came from Ford to the selling dealer (who sold to me).

I am going out to the garage and check to see if the engine is stamped Briggs & Stratton.

Incredible

- doc

P.S. SGB the car came from Cedartown

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
eshrink said:
At this stage, one (me) would have strong reason to doubt the build quality of my particular car.

I am sure the car left Wixom in perfect condition.

It could be very innocent - someone removed the panels because they thought they might get damaged in subsequent shipping and forgot to load them on the trailer.

Not so innocent, but wouldn't make me worry about the car's integity -- The panels were damaged when placed incorrectly on a trailer.

If possible, try to look under and around the lower part of the car for any signs of abrasions, bolt holes that don't look quite right, etc. Look under the nose of the car for the same things. Do the side skirts look like they have been moved?

If you don't see anything out of the ordinary, then I would say there is an benign explanation. You'll get your panels, sure enough.

Maybe you can get the dealer to pop for a future free oil and filter change -- But, don't tell them how expensive and time consuming an oil change is :eek

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Definitely have the dealer put it up on a lift to see if there has been any damage or just a removal.

I'm with the others - somone probably took them off for shipping or to put it up on a lift.

Last edited:

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
The bolt holes (etc) where the front and rear parts would go show absolutely no sign of any contact point, movement, etc.

It is as if the fellow who was to install them wandered off to play with small animals.

Although I am a grassy knoll conspiracy theorist (well, not really), it looks like it was lunch break, and the fellow never returned.

Certainly a birthday that one does not forget.

Thanks to everyone for walking me through this.

- doc

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Diffuser

Wow..I guess I opened a big can of worms, but am happy that you now have it all in hand...Good luck.. George :thumbsup

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hey Doc,

Could you think about updating that on-line self evaluation to maybe include some typical abnormalities of GT owners? I had mine on the lift today and was noticing that the painted panels underneath the car had some water spots on them. Of course I spent some time to wipe them clean. That's when the ol' brain took a left turn. Today was the first time in my life I ever waxed the under side of a car. Is medication adviseable? See, I figure I better get an answer from you soon. Maybe you haven't made the same left turn yet, but I swear I see your blinker on.

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
nota4re - it's okay to wax the underside of the car. What is strange is if you were to wax the inside of the undertray :biggrin

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Car Care?

I removed and cleaned all of the under panels. And waxed both sides. My hope is that it will make later cleaning much easier. Grit and stuff does collect up inside, as does any thing that may drip or spill on the panels. Besides it was a nice sunny day in Seattle to perform the outside manitenance.

I moved my car lift outside and put the GT on it - all the neighbors came over for a look under the car.

Most said I was more than a bit anal waxing the underparts. But they said the same thing when I waxed the engine compartment and the inside of the hood on my racecar.

Any suggestions on what to apply to the diffuser?

I also cleaned and Wheel Waxed the standard wheels. Sure makes later cleaning of them much easier to do.

I think that if Doc E offers a group discount for on-line consultations, GT forum members would keep him too busy to be able to enjoy his GT. :lol

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I agree with my daughter, detailing (in her case grooming her horse) is very rewarding. It is rather compulsive, planful and precise work. You can play music and listen without interruption. It is harmless and keeps you out of traffic.

Is it a bit O-C? Well, perhaps. But this is a car that begs to be detailed.

Does this make you a candidate for an anti-obsessional agent or cognitive-behavior therapy?

Well, you needed that before you got the car...so what's the big deal?

- doc

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Oh, one who did not receive his diffusers or front splitter. I just replaced my front splitter, after finally coming up with a solution for my driveway entrance using trailer ramps so I don't bottom-out, around $162.00 for the part. Not a big deal, the rear diffusers are also a bolt on unit, 8x as much, but replaceable none the less. Just ask the dealer to go over the car to make sure everything else is intact. If you bought it from a Ford Dealer, it is covered and he either bought from another Ford Dealer or from the factory. I suspect you have a great car on your hands, and the bolt on parts can be fixed to new status. If there is an issue, call the Ford GT hotline and make a formal complaint. They can get the information to Wixom and let them know what happened. All-in-all, you will end up with the most incredible driving machine available on the road today, Enjoy It!

Status
Not open for further replies.