jj1987

Jun 9, 2006

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I TRIED. After 3 minutes I wanted to puke.

When you have the inmates pretty much running the ass-eye-lum, the results are a "given".

W/O discipline in the schools, the schools have NOTHING. Yet, if "Johnny" is disciplined, mommy & daddy SUE. And Johnny better be PROMOTED to the next grade too, regardless if he's proven he's a "box of rocks" - or mommy and daddy will sue. And teachers who use a Monopoly game to "teach" geography lessons?????? Puleeeze. (Now I KNOW why that Miss Teen contestant responded the way she did.:ack)

The kinda crap I saw in that video (what little I saw B4 I shut it off) NEVER would have been tolerated when I was going to school. EVER.

These are our future leaders??? God help us all.

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
I TRIED. After 3 minutes I wanted to puke.

When you have the inmates pretty much running the ass-eye-lum, the results are a "given".

W/O discipline in the schools, the schools have NOTHING. Yet, if "Johnny" is disciplined, mommy & daddy SUE. And Johnny better be PROMOTED to the next grade too, regardless if he's proven he's a "box of rocks" - or mommy and daddy will sue. And teachers who use a Monopoly game to "teach" geography lessons?????? Puleeeze. (Now I KNOW why that Miss Teen contestant responded the way she did.:ack)

The kinda crap I saw in that video (what little I saw B4 I shut it off) NEVER would have been tolerated when I was going to school. EVER.

They're training these kids to be the future welfare recipients of America. If you can stand to watch further, you'll see a mom blaming the school system that her 18 year old can't read at a 4th grade level.

I won't point fingers, but certain political groups NEED these students to stay stupid, so that they can keep getting their vote in exchange for government support.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Well, I watched the whole thing... disturbing to say the least...Are country is ranked 25th in education (the worlds super power country is ranked 25th :ack)

I have a lot of opinions about this one but I will keep it short.... This program points the finger at the teachers Union and their monopoly of the system.... I agree that in this case, the union is a major problem with the educating of our children.

The program along with some educational pros state that competition amongs schools is good.... Kinda keeps everyone in check... I agree with this

I was always the 1st to say that if a child misbehaves in school, blame it on the parents and not the teachers.... I've drifted from this thought..Why? There are plentyof single parents out there that have to work long hours to support their family... many reasons here..... I could go on with this one but I'd bore you....

Most of us may be fortunate to have one spouse work and the other the stay at home but I'm sure it is not the norm... blame it on economics here... rather we think the economy is fine or not..... the reality for the middle class and down is Double income parents needed to support the monthly/annual bills of the average family living within their means.... OK , so why don't they move out of state to some po dunk town so they can live within a better means? Well then where's the family? Nana and grandpa are two states away instead of across town. Auntie and Uncle too..

The reality to this equation is infinit......Infinit equations with infinit answers.... yes? No?

I would like to try to sum this one up shortly but can't
Toooo many children......LEGAL/ILLEGAL
Not enough enthusiastic teachers
Need to have competition
Need to instill values/morals into these kids because some of these kids are going to be our kids teachers...
If our country keeps producing poor quality graduates, these same graduates will be turning our kids into poor quality graduates too

Same goes for parents.... I would blame the character of a child on his/her parents... no brainer!
But I'd blame the education of a child on the education system.. no brainer

there needs to be reform because not everyone can afford private school education and I feel that everyone should be able to receive a private school education..

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Well, I watched the whole thing... disturbing to say the least...Are country is ranked 25th in education (the worlds super power country is ranked 25th :ack)

I have a lot of opinions about this one but I will keep it short.... This program points the finger at the teachers Union and their monopoly of the system.... I agree that in this case, the union is a major problem with the educating of our children.

The program along with some educational pros state that competition amongs schools is good.... Kinda keeps everyone in check... I agree with this

I was always the 1st to say that if a child misbehaves in school, blame it on the parents and not the teachers.... I've drifted from this thought..Why? There are plentyof single parents out there that have to work long hours to support their family... many reasons here..... I could go on with this one but I'd bore you....

Most of us may be fortunate to have one spouse work and the other the stay at home but I'm sure it is not the norm... blame it on economics here... rather we think the economy is fine or not..... the reality for the middle class and down is Double income parents needed to support the monthly/annual bills of the average family living within their means.... OK , so why don't they move out of state to some po dunk town so they can live within a better means? Well then where's the family? Nana and grandpa are two states away instead of across town. Auntie and Uncle too..

The reality to this equation is infinit......Infinit equations with infinit answers.... yes? No?

Need to have competition
Need to instill values/morals into these kids because some of these kids are going to be our kids teachers...
If our country keeps producing poor quality graduates, these same graduates will be turning our kids into poor quality graduates too

Same goes for parents.... I would blame the character of a child on his/her parents... no brainer!

there needs to be reform because not everyone can afford private school education and I feel that everyone should be able to receive a private school education..

true and so very sad... the more one travels, the more one sees what our situation is.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Okay, Tim! This post is YOUR fault!!! YOU opened the door!:lol

...'Little story:

Back in the nine-tees, schools here in Washington actually promoted what I call a 'group grading system'. They called it the "Century 21" program. It was implemented (supposedly) to bolster the self image of students with lesser abilities ('can't let kids deal with the REAL world, ya know!).

What they did was to divide the class(es) into groups of (lets say) 5 kids each. These kids all did their assignments together - and they all got the SAME GRADE for the work!!!!! I AIN'T MAKIN' THIS UP! ( I THINK they still took their tests individually, but I'm just not sure now.)

Anyway, even someone of MY limited intellect (aaaaah, shuddup - alla yuz) can immediately see what's gunna (AND DID) happen here. A couple of the kids did all the work - and the slackers got the benefits - unearned. The kids who would have gotten "A"'s got "Group B"'s (or lower) instead, and the kids who SHUDDA got ... well, you get the picture. Talk about the, "Dumbing Down of America" (Rush L.)
This is the kinda CRAP is what our so called "education experts" come up with???

Can you imagine the end result 'come "hiring time"? 'Employer looks at the quals of the "final two" job applicant's (on paper). BOTH are equally qualified in all respects ... but Johnny got s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y better grades than Sam. So, Johnny gets the job. BUT WHAT THE EMPLOYER DIDN'T KNOW WAS, Johnny's grades were the product of a "Century 21" school! And he was wunna the "slackers" who's grades were the result of sumbuddy ELSE'S work - and Sam got HIS grades on his own in a private school which had higher standards than those of most public school's in the 1st place!!! So now the company who hired Johnny has been screwed in two ways! One: 'cause it hired Johnny 'steada Sam, and TWO: 'cause SAM went down the street and was hired by a competitor! (Johnny was pbly screwed too, 'cause he pbly ended up "over his head" and was canned. Sam was screwed at 1st, but was able to overcome it on his own.)

The above is an over simplification, sure. But, the real world effects are what they are.

I screamed my head off at my kid's school about all this... 'might as well have yelled into a bucket. Thank God my youngest was just about OUT of high school when this hit, as there was no "private" high school around here ('still izzunt) to send her. (And I can tell yuh, she wuzzunt too happy about her grades that last year. Luckily, she still graduated with honors despite the stupid "21" bizznuss. Her older sister did too, but she didn't have the "21" handicap to deal with.)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No offense guys, but if any of you can verify to me that ANY employer looks at a gradepoint average, I'll eat my diplomas. The only thing a gradepoint average is good for is for acceptance into an even higher education program. An old joke is "What do you call the guy with the lowest gradepoint at graduation from medical school?" Answer - Doctor. I was in academic medicine for 13 years and taught the sharpest and brightest students. Perhaps you guys are looking in the wrong places for what is ACTUALLY accomplished. Off my soapbox now.

As an aside, perhaps we could all contribute to a higher education status if we would pay attention to our spelling and grammar. And not write like we're some kind of backwoods hoosiers.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hmmmmmmmmm.

Why stop there? Maybe we all ought to wear suits and ties at the keyboard too? :shrug

Lighten up, Doc. Life's too short to be THAT serious all the time.

Sheeeze...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...An old joke is "What do you call the guy with the lowest gradepoint at graduation from medical school?" Answer - Doctor...

Yes, but the med students with the best grades and or recommendations get into the best residency programs. I was considering a career in medicine at one time and was scoping out what was needed to get accepted into med school. In my day it was primarily GPA and MCAT scores. I decided with my lack of effort in college my GPA was too low to get accepted into any decent med school and I went down another path. But during my research I found at one med school with an entering class that had an average GPA of only 2.6 and MCAT scores below average. That compares to most other med schools with average GPAs of about 3.7 and MCAT scores almost 2 SD above average. Before I go to a new doctor I check where did their residency and what med school they graduated from. I can tell you if any came from the one I found that took below average students, I would run out of their office as fast I could!

Last edited:

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
No offense guys, but if any of you can verify to me that ANY employer looks at a gradepoint average, I'll eat my diplomas. The only thing a gradepoint average is good for is for acceptance into an even higher education program. An old joke is "What do you call the guy with the lowest gradepoint at graduation from medical school?" Answer - Doctor. I was in academic medicine for 13 years and taught the sharpest and brightest students. Perhaps you guys are looking in the wrong places for what is ACTUALLY accomplished. Off my soapbox now.

As an aside, perhaps we could all contribute to a higher education status if we would pay attention to our spelling and grammar. And not write like we're some kind of backwoods hoosiers.
As the director of Computer Science @ my school replied to me after I asked him for advice about my GPA.....

Who care? Make one up! Privacy laws prevent us telling them what your real one is.....:rofl

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Study the History

The education of children in this country was doomed when the elite Baron’s of the time convinced the government of the time to create a “forced public education” system that remains in effect today. Studying and understanding “how it all began and why”, the historical aspect of our public education, will clear up any concerns one may have; not much has changed over the years.

Pete S.

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
No offense guys, but if any of you can verify to me that ANY employer looks at a gradepoint average, I'll eat my diplomas.

Google requires a transcript for recent college grads applying for engineering positions. And by recent, I don't mean "fresh graduate". Even if, say, you were working for a year (or more?) before applying to Google you will need to submit a transcript. Both the school you went to and your GPA is taken into consideration.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Need to have competition

'Tell you what, 'stunts, if I have any say about it (and I live that long) I'm seeing to it my lil' grandaughter goes to private schools where she gets REAL history, and math, and geo., and grammar, etc. And just as important - maybe even more so - real DICIPLINE. "Nuts" to all this liberal "touchy, feely", "P.C." crap.

Vouchers would go a L-O-N-G way to seeing to it that most of those who wanted to opt for a private school of some type (faith based or otherwise) could do so. But, as long as D.C. is afraid of the "power"(?!) of the teacher's union - fat chance.

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA

My Mac won't play the video, but it sounds like these are our future janitors. :eek There are still some good public schools but unfortunately you pretty much have to be able to afford private school anyway to live in the right district. I think vouchers have some merit.

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
WOW :eek I did open up the book here didn't I.... Most of you know I have a little guy at home (19 months) So those of you veteran dad's know how my perception of life has changed in these last 2 years.... My passions are diff. My thoughts on life are diff. HELL... everythings diff... and I'm learning all over again and loving it....

So, without pissing any one off, this is what I have to say to help smooth the edges...

The goal or subject I believe on this thread is to think widely and not narrowly about a specific profession... but rather the whole pie...

We need smart educated Janitors,Police officers,Doctors,Engineers,Teachers,Counselors,Upper/lower management.. etc... IT"S WHAT MAKES THE WORLD WORK!!! THE GREATEST THING ABOUT THIS GROUP, ARE ALL THE DIFF. TYPES HERE. AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO SAY IT... FROM AGE TO INCOME TO EDUCATION TO LOOKS(I'M PRETTY CUTE YA KNOW:ack) IMAGINE IF THE REST OF (WHATEVER)(AMERICA) COULD GET ALONG THE WAY THIS GROUP OF MISFITS GET ALONG..

I believe that the children we're educating have a lesser chance of being well rounded and a lesser chance of pursuing their dreams because of the education our PUBLIC SYSTEM is giving them..

We don't want all our kids to become doctors (no offense doc) we don't want all are kids to become stuntmen (no offense taken:wink) We need a happy pool of everything......

and with the report I saw (assuming it's true) my assesment is, we are weakening(spelling,sorry doc.) our countrys' future but most importantly we are robbing our CHILDREN of a (not a descent future) great future.

I do believe these thoughts that I have aren't controversial or opinionated in any way... But the want of any parent...

Doc... unfortunately your thread stirred the coupe here(so it seems)and I do/did agree with some aspect of what you said... Some jobs may not look at a GPA (back in our day) My sister is 8 years younger than me and not only did she have her GPA on her Resume(1st) but my father researches/asks upfront with new (out of college) possible employees he interviews... My father is an electrical/mechanical engineer/designer....

So I don't know where this leaves us or if I smoothed out some of the roughness... we could talk on and on I suspect but the reality is something needs to be done... rather I just concern myself with my son or our contrys' children...

:cheers

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
An hour has gone by since my above post......I watched this program again and this time with my wife..

I URGE EVRYONE WHO FINDS THIS THREAD SPARKING AN INTEREST, TO GO CLICK ON THE LINK (look @ the 1st post) AND PLEASE WATCH THE ENTIRE THING. IF YOU CAN'T OR DON'T WANT TO, THEN WATCH THE LAST HALF. IT'S MUCH MORE DETAILED AND IMPORTANT TO HEAR ABOUT THE SEX OFFENDERS WHO AREN'T FIRED AND ARE STILL BEING PAID..

THIS PROGRAM IS ABOUT THE UNION MONOPOLY THAT ISN'T ALLOWING CHANGE AND ITS' RIDICULOUS PROCEDURES....

I'll shut up now!! sorry to all

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...IF YOU CAN'T OR DON'T WANT TO, THEN WATCH THE LAST HALF. IT'S MUCH MORE DETAILED AND IMPORTANT TO HEAR ABOUT THE SEX OFFENDERS WHO AREN'T FIRED AND ARE STILL BEING PAID..

THIS PROGRAM IS ABOUT THE UNION MONOPOLY THAT ISN'T ALLOWING CHANGE AND ITS' RIDICULOUS PROCEDURES....

I'll shut up now!! sorry to all

Yes, just look at what is happening to the US auto industry. I thought the jobs bank in the auto industry was bad, but the teachers union has that beat, criminals are being paid to sit around and do nothing!

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
What disturbs me the most, is knowing that most of my classmates earned between 1170 and 1350 on the sat, with myself being a little above the middle of that range. That means for every one of us, there's one student getting a 800 on the SAT, to keep the average around 1000, which is ABOVE South Carolina's average. UF, FSU, UCF, USF, and UNF (the large FL public colleges) all require higher than this to get in. We're graduating students who can't go further with their education!

I've had teachers sit there all day and do crossword puzzles, check personal email, text message their husband/wife, watch last weeks football game film (coaches/teachers), and this is why teachers lose control of the classroom. Young people WANT to learn, and if you don't believe that, bring your Ford GT up to a high school and see how many questions you get about it. The problem is, these teachers teach the same course for 20 years, or however long until they retire. They get a planning period each day, but they just use last years notes anyways, so that means a 2 hour lunch, and 0 hours planning. Teachers are throwing information up that's outdated, and asking students to play the roll of a xerox copy machine by copying overhead slides, rather than a student.

Parents are next to blame. I'm sorry, but YOU were the one that had fun the night of conception, so this child is YOUR responsibility. Teachers shouldn't have to put up with your lack of parenting. Until high school (when honors classes started), I had to deal with these kids who acted out in class, and NOTHING could be done about them. Sure, you can send a kid to the dean, but nothing happens, and chances are if the kid is acting out in class, his/her parents don't care anyways, so why waste the deans time calling them?

Finally, at some point the blame falls on the student. Case in point, the 18 year old that can't read at a 4th grade level. When you're 16, you can legally drive, meaning the government expects you to be able to make your own decisions. This kid had two years past that to seek private tutoring (most schools offer this free after school), or go to the library and work your way up from 4th grade reading level to a higher one. There's not a whole lot we can do with these types of students, so let's start elsewhere.

I guess the reason why I posted this video, is because it's something that I feel reflects the opinion of a large portion of my classmates. Its hard to imagine on a campus of nearly 50,000 students, that for every student we see, one got a 800 SAT score, and can't get into a university. I guess growing up in a middle class high school, I never saw those 800s, heck, you get a 400 just for signing up for the test, I hope that gives everyone an idea of exactly how low 800 is.

Last edited:

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Just replying so that this thread is near my new thread "Sorry! I had too!!"

If you are new to this thread, please visit the 1st post and click on the link and watch its entirety..

thanks,
stunts