Stress cracks in 27K mile, 0 Stories 05 GT

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Looks like from where the roof panel and B pillar come together. There is a lot of body filler “Bondo” in that area from the factory around that seam.
Seen that on 2 cars but that was from after an accident. Must be some real bumpy roads up there.

Last edited:

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Thanks Rich!

There was a total of about 200 miles or so (in several smaller 20-30 mile segments) of hardpack dirt / gravel / very rough tarmac with some "washboard". I'm now reasonably certain that was the cause and the location is exactly where / as you describe it.

I think I'll just live with it until I decide to freshen up the car.

Again, many thanks!

Joe

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Where you in Anchorage Joe? I bet everyone enjoyed seeing the GT on the road there. I think there are 3 other GTs in Anchorage but they hardly ever get driven I think. Flatrod knows more about them.

Ed

Ed, Joe's car made the 9th GT here, but you are right, they are rarely driven here. But to make Dr Frank happy, the three most driven here are red cars, Well besides Joe's car.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks Rich!

There was a total of about 200 miles or so (in several smaller 20-30 mile segments) of hardpack dirt / gravel / very rough tarmac with some "washboard". I'm now reasonably certain that was the cause and the location is exactly where / as you describe it.

I think I'll just live with it until I decide to freshen up the car.

Again, many thanks!

Joe

The area shown in your picture appears to be on the vertical pillar based on the taper and the orientation of the latch. The connection Rich posted about is on the roof.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Flatrod - I'll be there for New Years Eve fun! Maybe I'll see you then. I thought it would be cool to accept delivery of my NGT in Anchorage at Worthington Ford.

Ed

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I agree with Gary. Not only do they not remotely look like stress fractures, but there is no way you would have stress fractures at the pillar.

Ditto Gary and Sinovac comments: The middle of the pillar is an odd place to have stress cracks, let alone two of them side-by-side. Cracks generally occur at "stress risers" such as sharp corners. I have 43,000 miles on my '05 and don't have any cracks anywhere that I've noticed.

Last edited:

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
The area shown in your picture appears to be on the vertical pillar based on the taper and the orientation of the latch. The connection Rich posted about is on the roof.

My bad, you're right. I saw what I "wanted" not what was really there...

All the same, no one seems particularly alarmed... Amused maybe, but not alarmed... So I'll just keep driving and monitor them.

Thanks all.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My bad, you're right. I saw what I "wanted" not what was really there...

All the same, no one seems particularly alarmed... Amused maybe, but not alarmed... So I'll just keep driving and monitor them.

Thanks all.

You can have peace of mind knowing that underneath that body panel is probably the strongest section of the extruded aluminum hoop. The frames on our cars are amazingly robust.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

snap

GT Owner
May 15, 2010
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Looks like stress cracking of the panel at the compound curve when you get lateral movement. The "arch" is flexing. If it was a flat panel ...it would have flexed but because of the wrap-around it cracks. Seen this on older corvettes that are raced. My 2 cents worth

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
That's why I take my flag to Alaska instead of my GT. I'd be obsessing over every bump
9e50af644125805b3826198523571b66.jpg

8ad074fd6af19c0dd7c269c3dc4bba27.jpg

Hope it's nothing serious Joe

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Your reaction to Rich is the correct one. Don't obsess over it, worry about it and get a good night's sleep. It's very likely a non event. Go get 30k miles.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
That's scratches in my opinion. Do not look like stress cracks at all. We see lots of stress cracks on front bonnets and plastic bumpers, but not typically in that area. But, none of us can see it in person so very hard to determine from a photo.

Last edited: