Straight Chassis

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Straight Chassis, now new member questions about rebuilt/salvaged car.

Hey guys (and from the threads, it looks like you're all guys), I'm a new member and have a bunch of questions regarding your favorite car. I was the high bidder on a GT on Ebay last Friday. It was the red one in Miami, with a salvage/rebuilt title.

I'm looking for your collective wisdom on buying this car, or buying a GT in general. I didn't see a thread in the forum that neatly fit my questions, so I posted here, since you are talking about straightening a car, and I want some advice on what to look for on this car to make sure it was correctly repaired.

Here is some additional info: The car was wrecked in 2010 in California, then sold through a dealer/insurance auction site. The current owner says he had it repaired, and he's owned it for 3 years, so that means he probably was the buyer. He says he had it shipped to Panama (he is from Panama). At first he said it was repaired in the US, then he said it was repaired in Panama. His written english is not very good, so it's hard to make out the exact chronology.

However, I am proceeding with caution, since his written communications to me were not clear.

The VIN is 1fafp90s05y400540. Here is the link to the site that auctioned it in 2010:

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfin...11570480/COPART_2005_FORD_GT_CA_SAN_DIEGO_CA/

You can see from the pictures it was heavily damaged in the back, where it appears it hit a wall going backwards as it ended its spin. The right rear wheel is way out of alignment, and the rear panel was pushed in enough to push forward the air box in the engine compartment. At the price I bid, I don't have a problem with this situation, as long as it was correctly repaired, using new parts. He claims it was repaired "LIKE NEW." Of course, we've all heard that before...

If it looks like it was poorly repaired, or there are parts that were bent and straightened, but not very well--especially structural parts--I have no qualms walking away from this one and paying more for a better car. I have a Mercedes Club friend looking at it for me tomorrow, and I plan to to Miami Thursday to inspect it, at an independent shop he referred me to. If it checks out, I'll close the deal and drive it back to Northern Virginia.

As your member "Xcentric" signs his messages, "If you don't drive it, what's the point?" I like to say, "If you want art, get something you can hang on the wall--cars are for driving!" I plan to drive it regularly, so a low-mile pristine example is not what I'm after. A good driving car with higher mileage and a few bumps and nicks will make me less concerned about collecting a few more.

Also, if I should move this post to a different forum or thread, I'd appreciate your guidance.

Thanks in advance for your patience and answers to a newbie--I've been on the opposite side of the exchange on the MercedesList mailing list (aka, the Stu Ritter List). So if any of you have questions about Mercedes, I probably can return the favors.

Pete K, in Northern Virginia

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hey guys (and from the threads, it looks like you're all guys), I'm a new member and have a bunch of questions regarding your favorite car. I was the high bidder on a GT on Ebay last Friday. It was the red one in Miami, with a salvage/rebuilt title.

I'm looking for your collective wisdom on buying this car, or buying a GT in general. I didn't see a thread in the forum that neatly fit my questions, so I posted here, since you are talking about straightening a car, and I want some advice on what to look for on this car to make sure it was correctly repaired.

Here is some additional info: The car was wrecked in 2010 in California, then sold through a dealer/insurance auction site. The current owner says he had it repaired, and he's owned it for 3 years, so that means he probably was the buyer. He says he had it shipped to Panama (he is from Panama). At first he said it was repaired in the US, then he said it was repaired in Panama. His written english is not very good, so it's hard to make out the exact chronology.

However, I am proceeding with caution, since his written communications to me were not clear.

The VIN is 1fafp90s05y400540. Here is the link to the site that auctioned it in 2010:

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfin...11570480/COPART_2005_FORD_GT_CA_SAN_DIEGO_CA/

You can see from the pictures it was heavily damaged in the back, where it appears it hit a wall going backwards as it ended its spin. The right rear wheel is way out of alignment, and the rear panel was pushed in enough to push forward the air box in the engine compartment. At the price I bid, I don't have a problem with this situation, as long as it was correctly repaired, using new parts. He claims it was repaired "LIKE NEW." Of course, we've all heard that before...

If it looks like it was poorly repaired, or there are parts that were bent and straightened, but not very well--especially structural parts--I have no qualms walking away from this one and paying more for a better car. I have a Mercedes Club friend looking at it for me tomorrow, and I plan to to Miami Thursday to inspect it, at an independent shop he referred me to. If it checks out, I'll close the deal and drive it back to Northern Virginia.

As your member "Xcentric" signs his messages, "If you don't drive it, what's the point?" I like to say, "If you want art, get something you can hang on the wall--cars are for driving!" I plan to drive it regularly, so a low-mile pristine example is not what I'm after. A good driving car with higher mileage and a few bumps and nicks will make me less concerned about collecting a few more.

Also, if I should move this post to a different forum or thread, I'd appreciate your guidance.

Thanks in advance for your patience and answers to a newbie--I've been on the opposite side of the exchange on the MercedesList mailing list (aka, the Stu Ritter List). So if any of you have questions about Mercedes, I probably can return the favors.

Pete K, in Northern Virginia

Wow, this is going to be an interesting story. I would really suggest you move it to a new thread instead of a reply to this one.

Thanks for coming here. Your repair/restoration will be very interesting to follow!

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Brake booster

This is why my brake pedal was a bit hard.. . Does anyone know if the Booster is from another vehicle or a one off for the GT,, Ordered a new one from Torrie ( apparently the last one)but it was in the same condition, very easily damaged in shipping if not protected correctly Looks like it is a Bosch part,,

Attachments

• GT brake booster 001.jpg
    GT brake booster 001.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 466
  • GT brake booster 002.jpg
    GT brake booster 002.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 465
  • GT brake booster 003.jpg
    GT brake booster 003.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 470

86blackwidow

Mar 10, 2008
Ventura,ca
Wow that is one amazing transformation, great job.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Absolutely amazing build. Congratulations on a job well done.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
New ABS unit fitted and all is good(Thanks Torrie)Just cant find enough excuses to go for a drive, But then again I can just drive it for the enjoyment of driving it.. I think the miles are going to add up very quickly

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
New ABS unit fitted and all is good(Thanks Torrie)Just cant find enough excuses to go for a drive, But then again I can just drive it for the enjoyment of driving it.. I think the miles are going to add up very quickly
Miles are a good thing! As I have stated many time before.The guy who dies with the most mileage wins!
No one ever wished on their death bed that they drove there GT less!

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Sloppy C?V joints

Had a disappointing day, enjoyed driving the GT, filled the tank and set for some spirited driving. After a near full throttle take off with very little wheel spin, heard an unfamiliar sound coming through the drivetrain, then disappeared.. Slowed down and downchanged to hear a loud clunk,, same when again getting on the throttle.. Drove slowly home expecting to see a loose or otherwise faulty driveshaft.. After through investigation it appears the outer C/V joints, both side now have a lot of slop in then, Car in 1st gear and rock back and forth, wheels turn but driveshaft don't.Audible clunk is heard and felt would say 15-20 degrees of rotation with out driveshaft turning.. Made a puller and have started to remove the driveshaft's.. Ford say they are a non serviced part, but well shall see what they are made of.. I can remember someone mentioning about stronger shafts.Mine are second had, so don`t know what sort of abuse they have seen,, will add more as they come apart..

Attachments

• FGT CV joints 001.jpg
    FGT CV joints 001.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 380

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
We're learning a lot about our cars from your work. That rotor looks badly scored.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Go to C/V joints post if you haven`t already to see the outcome

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
enjoyment

Just thought I would post these pics of the finished and now licenced GT. Still have to sort out the Booster problem, but should get to in this week. Love driving the car. We have a standing Kilometre event here in April, am aiming to get to..

Attachments

• PTP_2767 copy.jpg
    PTP_2767 copy.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 426
  • PTP_2768 copy.jpg
    PTP_2768 copy.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 425

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Congrats. Beautiful car!!!! Great job!!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Simply BEAUTIFUL!Im so impressed and proud of your commitment and workmanship!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE!!!!!!
You are a perfect example of what makes the Ford GT and this forum so special!!!
My very best regards to you
Enjoy every smile mile!
Ron

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Thanks Roketman., and everyone else who supplied me with info, pics and encouragement. Finally fixed the Brake Booster problem. I used a PBR unit made in Australia, had to make some serious modifications to make it fit, but all good now, only a slightly firmer pedal, which I like, can also make it softer with a small internal modification. Have fitted the Headers and cat with out the mufflers,(must be 70lbs lighter) was tooooo loud , so made smaller pipes to go inside the tail pipe section, severely drilled with 1/2 inch holes, and that has taken the edge of the sound, now acceptable. Just one last job, and that is to mount the revering camera screen somewhere, I have mounted a reversing camera on the front as well so with the flick of a switch I can see how close the front spoiler is the curb when parking. Oh still have to do the corner weights..

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Brilliant!

JimmyK

GT Owner
May 27, 2008
Lafayette, California
Fabulous job. Thanks much for sharing. Jimmyk

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Awesome!!!

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
World class engineering and craftsmanship. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

Are there any other GTs in Australia?

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Yes from what I can gather there are around 5 in Western Australia, but I have only seen 1 other, bought in for a car collection, and not for use on the road, as it is still a left hocker(cant see the point in just looking at them) but each to his own..

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
You picked the best colour. Good on ya, mate!