Stock FORD GTs

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
Anyone want to take a guess at how many actual low mileage stock FORD GTs are still out there

I see them on the forum and u-tube raced , quarter miled , modified and a lot of other tasteful things performed but after 5 years it would be interesting to know how many are still stock and with low miles

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I'm personally aware of about 15 or so unmolested cars, but won't hazard a guess re: worldwide total.

That being said, I'm speculating there are still plenty and likely will continue to be for years.

Just the nature of this type of car even with the Ford GT's vast reservoir of mods, reserve power, etc.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
There are still quite a few. I just got a bone stock 200 mile tungsten car in today.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Alot. You figure that for every serious performance enthusiast on a site like this, there's at least an equal amount of guys not on the internet that have low mile cars sitting in bubbles. You see a ton of raced and modified cars on the net because, well, a car sitting there not doing anything just isn't as interesting. :lol In the case of a Ford GT, it still looks really good sitting there doing nothing, but they tend to look better in action.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
At Carlisle and dbk was there when we handed him his pink sticker....this unamed owner , older gent NEVER EVEN SAT IN HIS OWN CAR.....it has 3.5 miles on it, had the shipping company roll it in his garage , not start it, all the plastic left on the seats/steering wheels , the whole 9 yards ,and video taped it all once he locked up the car......fun isnt it? I dont get it but....at least we have his and mark blocks in florida as templates for future repairs.....:lol:lol:thumbsdow I still dont get it......starting to enjoy gtjoey life....gtjoey

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Alot. Its an expensive car, and Mods are expensive.

The large % of modded cars you see for sale are more likely from Guys who did it, tried it and are now onto the next new thing.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Apart from the transaxle cooler (which the engine was designed to accept), mine is stock with 8k on the clock. I have added other things, but they're cosmetic and reversible (hot buttons, shifter bezel etc).

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
I have a stock Heritage with 25 miles. Does that count?

Mark H.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx

Mark H.

I would think so !!!!

steveirl

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2010
Ireland
Apart from the transaxle cooler (which the engine was designed to accept), mine is stock with 8k on the clock. I have added other things, but they're cosmetic and reversible (hot buttons, shifter bezel etc).
Have you not been tempted to even do a pulley and tune? I am thinking of it, but definitely going to change the exhaust, just cannot decide between the Accvufab from Revolve, or the full stainless system from Stainless Works?
Steve

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego

Mark H.

Your sig says 26 miles. Which is it? :biggrin

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Its actually 25.8 miles. I had to drive it almost 5 miles to get it inspected and and 5 miles back. When I took delivery it only had 15 miles and it is still wrapped in plastic. If I would have known Shelby would have gotten other low mile Heritage carsso soon, I probably would have bought one with a few more miles so I wouldnt feel so guilty for driving it.

Mark H.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
There's more guys in town here with completely stock cars than there are cars with mods. All the local guys that are on the forums have mods. Maybe it's part of the equation? But as the non-modded cars come out for drives with us, the temptation to mod grows.........

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
There are 7 cars here in Alaska. The highest mile car is I think around 4500, the lowest, just 2.4 miles. The two cars I have here have 212 and 345. None have any mods that I know of. I don't think any even have the axle bolts replaced!

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
Its good to here that a lot of the cars are still in the stock condition , I also had no idea there were still so many low mileage cars

When I bought my car I bought it to have fun with it and interact with the public , however I will not kid myself by saying the thought of a long term investment wasnt there , but now I wonder what the potential invesment prospects might be as it looks as thow a lot of guys are going that route , maybe a long , long , long term investment at best

What do you guys think

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I dont think Mileage is a factor long term....I rarely hear a 300 SL Gullwing, or Cobra mention its got under 5k Miles.

Numbers matching, options, original paint, panels, paperwork will be more important.

I think the Ferrari crowd is delusional in keeping their 5-10yo cars under 2,5,10K miles to find out the thing lost 50+% of its value anyway...

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I dont think Mileage is a factor long term....I rarely hear a 300 SL Gullwing, or Cobra mention its got under 5k Miles.

Numbers matching, options, original paint, panels, paperwork will be more important.

I think the Ferrari crowd is delusional in keeping their 5-10yo cars under 2,5,10K miles to find out the thing lost 50+% of its value anyway...

I suspect that part of the Ferrari owners' reluctance to add mileage are the fairly high service and maintenance costs.

I know many folks who don't seem to mind purchase costs but they can't stand O&M costs. And this syndrome doesn't pertain strictly to automobiles.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I would agree on the deferred maintenance misers...though Ferrari has particular parts (belts service) that they refuse to upgrade....as a means of perpetuating this.

The mileage thing with Ferrari guys is a bit more distrurbing / devolved...like some sorta celibacy cult.

H

HHGT

I think many treat their cars as rolling pieces of art. I was tempted to take the Monalisa for a public showing one day, but I was afraid she would be de-valued.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
A very warpped sense of "belonging" to the low mileage championship group. :ack

The "don't drive your supercar" movement is totally an American thing. Part of the Estate Planning Network cable TV infomercial series.:confused

I think they are all dreaming of the day, 20 years after they die, that their beloved toy will be sold on TV at one of the Auction Shows for 5 times what they paid for it new. :frown

I for one really don't care what the future max value on my GT will be, twenty years from now, as I enjoy driving it as often as I can.

Road Trip 15 starts tomorrow. 10,000 +/- miles to Rally V and back home. :biggrin

I would agree on the deferred maintenance misers...though Ferrari has particular parts (belts service) that they refuse to upgrade....as a means of perpetuating this.

The mileage thing with Ferrari guys is a bit more distrurbing / devolved...like some sorta celibacy cult.