ppr2803

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2011
Manila, Philippines
Hello,

Here are the facts:

1. I do not live in the US
2. GT is registered in Alaska
3. GT is parked in Michigan and will most probably remain somewhere in the east coast for the next 6 to 9 months
4. This GT will eventually be sent out to Asia towards the end of the year
5. Classic Insurance cannot insure cars registered in Alaska
6. Hagerty gave me an online quote of $4,440/per year (this is way too much)
7. I only plan on using the GT a couple of times before it gets shipped out to Asia

Question, how and where can I get my GT reasonably insured? Any referrals? Shelby has been great in referring me. However, the agent needs to be licensed in Alaska/Michigan.

Thank you very much for your inputs.

H

HHGT

Lloyds of London?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Hello,

Here are the facts:

1. I do not live in the US
2. GT is registered in Alaska
3. GT is parked in Michigan and will most probably remain somewhere in the east coast for the next 6 to 9 months
4. This GT will eventually be sent out to Asia towards the end of the year
5. Classic Insurance cannot insure cars registered in Alaska
6. Hagerty gave me an online quote of $4,440/per year (this is way too much)
7. I only plan on using the GT a couple of times before it gets shipped out to Asia

Question, how and where can I get my GT reasonably insured? Any referrals? Shelby has been great in referring me. However, the agent needs to be licensed in Alaska/Michigan.

Thank you very much for your inputs.

What are the Alaska registration requirements with regard to insurance? Can you post a bond rather than insure the vehicle?

ppr2803

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2011
Manila, Philippines
No proof of insurance is required when we register the vehicle, but it must be insured when operating. I will get in touch with All State and Progressive and see if I have any luck over there.

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Why registered here in Alaska? I'm pretty sure Classic does insure here. I will check with a few friends I think use Classic. I know AllState will insure, one of the GT's here is with AllState.

ppr2803

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2011
Manila, Philippines
I just spoke to Drew over at Classic, they don't insure in Alaska. Can you kindly refer me to an AllState agent (with Alaska insurance license)? Thank you.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
State Farm

Look for an agent in Alaska, put in zipcode at website

Say car is "withdrawn from use"...cost about $150 for 6mo policy for car stored in garage and not driven, insured for full repalcement value and full liability (fire, theft, multi-peil loss)

Flatrod

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
One of the guys here has his GT insured with Statefarm, my mistake, I thought he was with Allstate. His agent is Lisa Sanders, 907 344 0506, or http://www.lisasandersinsurance.com/

H

HHGT

There is an old thread that got started years ago (2007 ??) when a group of us wanted to ship our GTs to Le Mans and the topic of international insurances was discussed. AlohaGT was heavily engaged in setting the shipping etc.. I tried to search for it, but no luck.

Anyone remember?

ppr2803

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2011
Manila, Philippines
Update: Statefarm agent in Alaska cannot insure the car because the car is in Michigan (car registered last week in Alaska). Statefarm agent in Michigan cannot insure the car because I do not have a Michigan drivers license. I have a California drivers license. I do not live in the US. I live in Asia. The car is with Rich and I will visit him next week. Hoping to test drive the car but I want to insure her. Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you all.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Call a California State Farm agent.

As long as you have a permanent mailing address in CA, they should not care where car currently is (ie, in a shop, tuner). I had my Benz restored in CT for 2yrs, while I lived in NY, and car was insured as a NY Driver.

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
When I purchased my GT I was going to go with a US insurance provider however a Canadian company was able to provide insurance after some wrangling. I had the best luck and price out of Barrett Jackson auctions when a US provider was an option. Surely if they can do out of country cars they would be able to help you out.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/insurance/

Last edited:

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Update: Statefarm agent in Alaska cannot insure the car because the car is in Michigan (car registered last week in Alaska). Statefarm agent in Michigan cannot insure the car because I do not have a Michigan drivers license. I have a California drivers license. I do not live in the US. I live in Asia. The car is with Rich and I will visit him next week. Hoping to test drive the car but I want to insure her. Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you all.

Get a Michigan address (somehow), go to a DMV location in Michigan and swap your CA license for a MI license then insure the car with State Farm in MI.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
When I purchased my GT I was going to go with a US insurance provider however a Canadain company was able to provide insurance after some wrangling. I had the best luck and price out of Barrett Jackson auctions when a US provider was an option. Surely if they can do out of country cars they would be able to help you out.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/insurance/

I had my Mustangs and Cobra insured with them (it is underwritten by Chartis - and I had it before the Barrett Jackson branding happened).

Starting with renewals this year Chartis has substantially raised rates on newer vehicles. I insured my Cobra for $120K agreed value for $600/year and that included the mandatory collision coverage. With the Ford GT the rate is a lot higher but still cheaper than anyone else by a bunch. Your dilemma with them may be that they only considered single vehicles in the Ford GT class (factoring in both model year and type of vehicle) if you had policies active with them (i.e., in my case selling the Cobra and substituting the GT). It won't hurt to call but don't be surprised if they won't cover. All of my other insurance (daily drivers, homeowners, umbrella) were with the same agency and that helped as well.

There is a forum sponsor here who was slightly more expensive than Chartis but still lots cheaper than the standard policy writers like State Farm etc. Try him.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Try an Allstate agent. They are insuring my car and my situation is similiar to yours. Drivers license from one state, car titled/tagged from another and resides in a totaly different state and I live and work overseas.

Allstate policy is written with an agent in the area where the car is stored. Not the cheapest insurance, but works out for me.

Magic

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Talk to Ford Heacock at Heacock Classic Insurance. Ford is a stand-up guy and Ford GT owner. Insures ALL my stuff, including house and vacation home. Five star operation.

ppr2803

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2011
Manila, Philippines
Thank you very much for the leads guys! I have already made some calls and am just waiting for feedback.