squeaky brakes

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
need some help to fix a irritating squeal in my brakes. this has been going on for awhile now. i was told that it would go away after time, it hasn't and it's really driving me nuts. when the brakes are warm and i softly apply the brakes it creates a loud squeal. this does not happen if i press the brakes a little harder. any ideas on what it is and what to do about it. do i need new pads, if so oem or aftermarket?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
How many miles on the current pads?
The original front pads have a small metal (brass I think) sensor attached so when the pad material gets down to a certain level, it touches the rotor to signal a sound to replace the pads....is that your case?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Not normal, maybe pad element is loose in caliper.

At slow down or stop sign, happens after no use, but wears off

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
How many miles on the current pads?
The original front pads have a small metal (brass I think) sensor attached so when the pad material gets down to a certain level, it touches the rotor to signal a sound to replace the pads....is that your case?

9500 miles on car.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Do you know, if they are stock OEM pads? If after Market the increased performance, sometimes comes with the price of squeal. My padgids make noise.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Do you know, if they are stock OEM pads? If after Market the increased performance, sometimes comes with the price of squeal. My padgids make noise.

stock pads, as far as i know

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Go out and try re-bedding them. Did you try that yet? If not, go for it as there is a good chance it will help.

rdjmp

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2011
DFW Texas

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Go out and try re-bedding them. Did you try that yet? If not, go for it as there is a good chance it will help.

please excuse my ignorance, what does re-bedding mean. standing on the brakes hard a few times and getting them hot and then standing hard on them again???

disregard the above question. i read the next reply to this thread and got my answer.
i will try this weekend
thanks

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Please dont confuse kayvan's rebedding techniques while he is on business trips, it will leave you out of breath and guaranteed to be an exhausting experience.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Please dont confuse kayvan's rebedding techniques while he is on business trips, it will leave you out of breath and guaranteed to be an exhausting experience.
Should also put a huge grin on your face!!!!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

I like to remove the pad, before re-bedding them. Fluids are a personal choice...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
If you don't know for sure, you could be trying to fix something normal. Try the procedure referenced, of course.

stock pads, as far as i know