Spray On 3 M Shield?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Have any of you guys tried this "liquid clear protectant" from 3 M ?

http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender/

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
I saw that, I'm wondering the same thing.....could it be near as good as they imply it is? Spray it on, pull it off as a sheet?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Think I'll try it on my 1970 BOSS 302, Ross.
Give it a test.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Just purchased a new truck and the local Glass tint shop wants $700.00 to tape only the front. Might give this a try however I could only find one review. Thanks for the heads up.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Steve if a few of us test this on our other cars it will give us an idea if the product is GT worthy. Sure does not look like there is much down side.

I need to re-do my original protectant film and plan on doing it after the drive up to Rally 8 and back.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
My truck is a special order and is still about 30 days out but I think after reading the Cobra link I will give it a try when it arrives. I'll report back then.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I just paid a local shop $1800 to clear film the entire front end and all leading edges of my GT. He claims this 3M stuff is only easily removed just after application. I'm not sure if he just sees it as a threat to his business or if he's being honest.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I have a few friends that track their cars and have used this, they're real pleased with it, FWIW

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Wow, that's pretty crazy.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
A buddy of mine is a honcho for 3M here in SoCal. He attended a demonstratrion of it last week that was held for the car manufacturers (BMW, Mercedes, GM, etc...). He told me that they just came out with it and are only working with a limited amount of distributors (Autozone, etc..) They are only now starting to roll it out with volume distribution in about 6-8 months. As is, they can't keep it on the shelves.

I asked about the comment that it is only easily removed just after application. His answer was that since they are only now releasing it, how could anyone comment about the long-term.

I asked how do you keep the application uniform and/or apply varying amounts of thickness. Unfortuantely he didn't have an answer, but would find out and get back to me.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Review/comments from a Porsche online site. Doesn't sound like something I'd want to put on my GT.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-forum/758365-3m-paint-defender-spray-review.html

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Reviews are mixed elsewhere. some love it--some not so.

My guess is it takes so much effort and prep --is prone to imperfections and not something you would do on an exotic. Maybe on my truck.

Also it is not as durable or long losting as a true clear bra. Recall that you can DIY with those also if you are a masochist. I recently watched a guy who is an artist with that stuff--factory trained--spend 2 days in my garage doing my Mac--I WOULD NEVER TRY IT.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I recently watched a guy who is an artist with that stuff--factory trained--spend 2 days in my garage doing my Mac--I WOULD NEVER TRY IT.

That's a healthy perspective.

And conversely, I would assume that he would also not attempt to practice law without a license. :biggrin

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Having tried this myself on my truck, I 100% agree with drummer!
Leave it to the guys who do it for a living.
My best,
Mark

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
That's a healthy perspective.

And conversely, I would assume that he would also not attempt to practice law without a license. :biggrin

He might have a better chance of praticing law, even with his language issues.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
That rennlist post is horrific

I can't imagine this stuff on stripes....Esp edges

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Ahh too bad it's not received better reviews. I recently saw an ad for the spray-on and thought it would be something I could do for my Ultima GTR. I really don't want to spend the $$ to have a custom application of the film for that car. There are no pre-made patterns for that model (there probably aren't more than 50 of 'em in the U.S.) and I would like some protection for the front end (even though the color-impregnated GRP seems tough as nails). But I guess I'll have to wait until there are more reviews and/or they improve the product.
Bummer.
B

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It's being advertised. This link came in an Automobile mag email. http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender?WT.mc_id=SIM_PD&WT.tsrc=banner

Oops! Same link as the OP. Doh! Well, anyway, it's getting quite a bit of advertising. Available at Amazon.

If you need inexpensive temporary protection, like at a racetrack, I can vouch for Plasti Dip spray. Spray on, peel off. I have used black Plasti Dip on chrome emblems and it looks great after two years and dozens of car washes.

Guys I know have Plasti Dipped their silver wheels black with great success too. Nice way to see if you like the look. Don't like it or get tired of it....just peel it off.

Last edited:

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
If you need inexpensive temporary protection, like at a racetrack, I can vouch for Plasti Dip spray. Spray on, peel off. I have used black Plasti Dip on chrome emblems and it looks great after two years and dozens of car washes.

Guys I know have Plasti Dipped their silver wheels black with great success too. Nice way to see if you like the look. Don't like it or get tired of it....just peel it off.

:thumbsup