Speedometer Busted

Fuelman

GT Owner
May 15, 2006
Orlando, Fl
I see there was a recent post, mine stopped working, but odometer is working and all other guages working. Any ideas or conclusions from the last post on this problem?

Aug 25, 2006
Sadly it sounds like it needs to be replaced or serviced

There are several companies that make such repairs

Takes care

Shadowman

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
I was one of the guys who did a number of posts on the problem. I bought a complete Ford VCM computer set up. I got a new gauge from my selling dealer. When i tested them the first time they both seemed bad BUT I traced the wire loom several times and on the third time i used surgeon's loops. I found the female socket in the plug that goes to the gauge module was not fully seated. It was the one connected to the orange/red wire. After I pressed it in, I retested both gauges again. The original was still bad but the new one was ok.Hooked it up and all is well now. First start with the other easy steps listed in previous posts. Charge battery, clean posts. Clean ground (mine was painted). Do you have a dealer you can count on? If you'd like PM me and I'll give you my number. I'm glad I bought the computer because I can diagnose a lot with it. I thought i eas looking at a new GEM but it wasn't the case.

GTJIMMY

Permanent Vacation
Jun 12, 2009
Lloyd Harbor, NY
Do yourself a favor and call Rich at The GT GUYS in MI. They are the experts. Look into the Forum's past and see some of the comments by all of the satisfied customers. Rich and Dennis are the best in the world,,,,hands down!:rofl

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Ok, so it looks like my day has come with my first gauge failure. Yesterday I started my GT, and had no speedo. Drove the car several miles, stopped and turned it off a couple of times, and still no luck. I took the car back out today, and still no speedo. I have spent the day reading many posts on gauge failures, and specifically speedo failures. What is the current state of affairs on gauges? Go with Speedhut? Check with Autometer to see if they are making a revised and better speedometer that is not prone to failure? My car is a 2006, with 3,800 miles on it. When not being driven, it is always on a battery tender. Looking for the current recommendations. Thanks!

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Ouch sorry to hear that NJF. I'm just waiting for the day that mine decide to crap out too. Did you happen to check your ground wire from the negative battery terminal to the frame? Sometimes that has been cited as the culprit but this sounds more like the gauge itself.

My understanding is that Autometer is making new and improved versions of all the gauges EXCEPT the Speedometer (strange, I know) so your choices are 1) either go with an original Autometer replacement for $$$ running the risk that one day it, too, will crap out on you or 2) replace the whole suite with Speedhut which I'm hearing good things about for less $$. I guess you have option #3 also...to leave the Speedometer functionless but that would look pretty lame in a beautiful supercar like the GT :)

If I'm wrong about any of this, please someone correct me!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Right now your only choices for the large gauges - speedo and tach - are either to get a Ford replacement (and run the risk that it will fail again) or get the Speedhut replacement. Autometer sells the small gauges for $225 each.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Before you buy a new gauge, check the sending unit in the transaxle. If it's bad, it's about $20 and five minutes to replace. Mine went bad, although the symptom was a wildly swinging needle rather than sudden death.

Another time, my tach and temp gauge were both dead on startup. That turned out to be the battery ground cable at the frame. Zero cost and one minute to fix.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks for the input. My plan of attack is going to be to first check the ground wire, then test the battery, from there I will move on to the sending unit, and lastly change to a Speedhut speedometer. Is there any reaso why you must change out all gauges for the Speedhut upgrade, or can just the speedo be changed?

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Good question NJF. Not sure. I'd like to know that too.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the input. My plan of attack is going to be to first check the ground wire, then test the battery, from there I will move on to the sending unit, and lastly change to a Speedhut speedometer. Is there any reaso why you must change out all gauges for the Speedhut upgrade, or can just the speedo be changed?

The speedhuts do not fit in the same hole. You have to buy and swap out the whole instrument panel.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
OP - Unfortunately given your description, it is a failed speedometer. VERY unlikely to be a bad ground, etc :(

As others have said, you can get "new" gauges directly from Autometer for all of the small gauges but not for the tach or speedo. But you DO have another alternative. We are just starting a repair service for the Tachs and Speedos. This involves replacing all of the internals (not with the OEM Autometer electroncis) but maintaining the same housing, glass, needle and face. We would like to get to a point where we can do these on an exchange basis - we'll send you a "fixed" one and you send us the bad one. Right now we need a bad speedo donor - if anyone has one, please let us know. Our first repaired tach is shipping out this week to an owner who can validate our approach.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
OP - Unfortunately given your description, it is a failed speedometer. VERY unlikely to be a bad ground, etc :(

As others have said, you can get "new" gauges directly from Autometer for all of the small gauges but not for the tach or speedo. But you DO have another alternative. We are just starting a repair service for the Tachs and Speedos. This involves replacing all of the internals (not with the OEM Autometer electroncis) but maintaining the same housing, glass, needle and face. We would like to get to a point where we can do these on an exchange basis - we'll send you a "fixed" one and you send us the bad one. Right now we need a bad speedo donor - if anyone has one, please let us know. Our first repaired tach is shipping out this week to an owner who can validate bour approach.

Now that is cool! Nicely done for a much needed service! Has the original weak link been identified? What are the new internals?

Thanks Kendall!

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Wow Kendall!! That’s great. I like the look of the OEM better myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Team Kendall to the rescue, great news!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Kendall, you and Ryan are really on your game! That’s fantastic news for our GT fraternity.

Fortunately I have replaced my OE gauges that were all in working order with the Speedhut system.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
This is great news since today, I redid the ground, and pulled the battery to have it tested. Battery and ground are not the culprit. My next step was going to be to replace the sending unit, however with this new bit of news I would like to try having you guys rebuild the speedo. I am willing to send mine in for the rebuild and wait until you can send it back, however I don't know if I have the "mad skills" necessary to be pulling the speedo. I will take a look at my manual tomorrow to see if I am up to the task. I thought about taking it to Heffner in Sarasota to let them pull it, but that is 2 hours north of me.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I think if you go back into replacing gauges you'll find all the info you need

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI

As others have said, you can get "new" gauges directly from Autometer for all of the small gauges but not for the tach or speedo. But you DO have another alternative. We are just starting a repair service for the Tachs and Speedos. This involves replacing all of the internals (not with the OEM Autometer electroncis) but maintaining the same housing, glass, needle and face. We would like to get to a point where we can do these on an exchange basis - we'll send you a "fixed" one and you send us the bad one. Right now we need a bad speedo donor - if anyone has one, please let us know. Our first repaired tach is shipping out this week to an owner who can validate our approach.

I have a bad tach. How much to repair? Ill send it to you as soon as you provide a cost to repair.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Cool, I will check that out!