Speedometer and Tach rebuild

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
As some of you know we have been working on a permanent fix/repair to the OE speedometers and tachometers. Over the course of the last year, we have done quite a bit of development work and research to do this much needed repair since all of the OE ones will fail at some point in time.

With that, we have been doing testing in a few cars and we wanted to test a few more before we make the repair program “public”. We are looking for 2-3 owners that will put at least a few hundred miles on their cars in the next month or two.

I know with today’s values many owners do not do that anymore and that is why we are asking to see if there is anyone that drives their GT more regularly. To date we have put about 1000 miles on test parts without incident but want to verify the data before we start taking orders. If you plan on putting some miles on your car, please send me an email (richgtguy@gmail.com) to see if we can work something out.

I know it is getting to be the off season in my area, but other areas are still beautiful. As far as pricing for these gauges, we are still working on the final costs, but it is looking to be in the $1200-$1500-dollar range (close to the OE price) with a 90-day warranty but you MUST send me a core for us to rebuild.

A ton of work went into the engineering and redesign of this solution and it features almost all new or upgraded parts, with the intent of the rebuilt gauge to look and feel as OE as possible yet last longer and outperform the OE gauge. Once released we will have detailed explanation of all the new parts installed in order to provide the best updated OE gauge possible. I know others have tried this before and it didn’t work out so well. This is why we are asking for some help ahead of time to verify what we are doing.

Once again if you plan on putting some miles on your car send me an email to see if we can work something out. I will be doing a little bit of traveling here shortly so I might even be able to do the install as well. After satisfactory completion of this test phase, we plan to begin accepting orders and deliver upgraded and repaired gauges in 2-3 weeks after receipt of an OE core.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
GREAT NEWS!!

Thanks for all the (unpaid) effort to date.

For sure, we're all grateful, hope the test trials go well!

Reactions: Johntpr

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Yes, thanks for all your work on this.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Great to see someone has cracked the mystery with success! Much needed. Requires some down time for the swap. Replace all of them at once esp if you're doing the big gauge first.

I never understood why autometer didn't include the big ones. Their market penetration is the same as small ones

Reactions: MHedges24 and 2112

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
That is great news. I have a non operational tach in my car for years now. I have a brand new OEM gauge that I bought years ago, but have not put it in yet. I do worry that the stock one may just break again. It will be really nice to know that we will be able to get a new reliable gauge if this goes well. Thank you for pursuing this!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ready to send mine, they are out of the car, but sadly its parked for the winter, so I cant be a beta tester. Will have to wait for the full release.

Great news on this front, well done!!

Tomcat

GT Owner
THANK YOU RICH (and whomever else is working with you) I am assuming that there are a good number of failed ones available. My OEM ones work fine (at 45,000 miles). Please keep us updated if you don't get enough takers/betas.

Reactions: Johntpr

Rick Mustang

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2016
Central Texas
My tach went out today. 2000 miles. Following this.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Think I have a couple bad ones, could probably do some testing if you need someone.

rc1320

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 16, 2021
Washington Coast
If anyone needs a brand new tach I happen to have 2 of them in OEM packaging.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
That’s great news Rich! Great work!

Adios

GT Owner
Apr 24, 2010
E. Washington State
GT is parked for the winter,I have switched out my original gauges with EOM gauges they are not functioning perfectly (sporadically) yes. I am very interested in your project.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
GT is parked for the winter,I have switched out my original gauges with EOM gauges they are not functioning perfectly (sporadically) yes. I am very interested in your project.

Intermittent gauge behaviour, especially if they recover after running for a while and restarting the engine, is caused by a marginal battery. Have you confirmed the battery is OK?

Secondly, I think that Rich's request is for people to test here and now, not for someone that will "get back to you in the spring"...

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
I'm running these. Love the sweep at start up

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I'm running these. Love the sweep at start up

Which ones? Rich’s?

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Which ones? Rich’s?
Yeah

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hi Rich, any update on testing for rebuilt gages? TY Steve

peloton

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2017
My tech sent two non-working speedos to Rich in December and when they come back to me, I'll drive my 05 GT 200-300 miles with each gauge per his requested test procedure. I'll post results when I have them.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
My tech sent two non-working speedos to Rich in December and when they come back to me, I'll drive my 05 GT 200-300 miles with each gauge per his requested test procedure. I'll post results when I have them.
Well, that's a heckuva first post! Welcome! 🍻

Reactions: dshears

peloton

GT Owner
Jan 8, 2017
Just installed one of the two speedos repaired by Rich. Did an initial 90 mile drive, speedo works perfectly. Checked accuracy against my Waze app, +/- 2 mph. I'll keep driving for Rich's desired 500 mile beta test. FWIW, my car is an 05 white/blue stripe/4 option.