Speedo

Mamzer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2006
South Florida
Not the swim suit! I have a problem with my speedometer. It seems to take a dive to zero from about 4 MPH. I went to my friendly Ford dealer and he said " thats what they all do". I never noticed this before if hes right. I need to know if he is or hes just blowing smoke up my dress. Anybodt have a similar expierence?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Sounds like a canned answer. More like I do not know we do not see many GTs.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Never tried to go four miles an hour.............

I'll look next time

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Can these cars go that slow?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
My speedometer barely even moves until I hit about 10 mph. On the plus side, it's really accurate at high speed. Not so much at low.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
I have seen a few cars that do the 5-0 mph quick drop. I have even see it happen with a brand new speedo I just instaled and the old one didn't do it. The ones I have seen it on the customers haven't complained about it I just happen to see it.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
The other day mine did a quick bounce up to 60 and back down to 0. What was that all about?:eek

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
EDIT

The other day mine did a quick bounce up to 60 and back down to 0. What was that all about Officer?

Nice excuse! :lol :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If the speedo works fine everywhere else - I wouldn't mess with it & take the chance of scratching/screwing up something ELSE in the process of getting it "fixed".

Besides...if you always drive the car under 4MPH - YOU'LL NEVER ADD MILES TO THE ODOMETER! Think of the resale value! :lol

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
The other day mine did a quick bounce up to 60 and back down to 0. What was that all about?:eek

I've seen that once in my driveway.... Scared the crap out of me. Ended up placing the car back on the charger and never seen it again -

and I was going ~ 5 MPH - not hitting 60MPH!

Last edited:

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I keep mine on a charger. This was after a one hour drive.

Swazi

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Northern California
Mine does the same thing, its always done it since new. its a early 06 build. its always on a battery tender so i think its unrelated to charge status.

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
I just took my GT for a drive. Speedo didn't go above 22 MPH. All of the other instruments work. Car is always on the charger when not in use. Any help? Thanks
Bob

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I just took my GT for a drive. Speedo didn't go above 22 MPH. All of the other instruments work. Car is always on the charger when not in use. Any help? Thanks
Bob

For most, evidently the speedo SENSOR is the pblm, but one member 's speedometer itself was bad:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6495&highlight=speedometer+failure

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
4 mph

What do they call a car that can go 4 MPH?????

A CORVETTE!!!!!!!!!l lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
FordGT6, is your car brand new with no miles? The chip is programed to keep speed down for about 50 -100 miles.

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
Car has just over 3k miles. As speed increases it goes only to 22 mph. As i get up to 50 mph, the speedo drops to zero.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Car has just over 3k miles. As speed increases it goes only to 22 mph. As i get up to 50 mph, the speedo drops to zero.

'Sensor pbly.

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
Car has 3010 miles. I am original owner. I replaced the sensor and it still does the same thing. I cleaned the battery terminals, sanded the frame ground attachment. Still no change from before. Guess it's the speedometer huh?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sounds very likely.