Speedhut gauges for our FGT's

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Speedhut Gauges/Stock Gauges

Can they repair/replace the Stock Gauge Electronics, with their Electronics ??? :confused

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I'm in with AMB. Can they replace the guts of our gauges? I like the tac with the flat bottom and would be in for a set if they can replace the guts.

Last edited:

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Can they repair/replace the Stock Gauge Electronics, with their Electronics ??? :confused

Sign me up if they do!

Lance

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I would be surprised if they would rebuild the OEM gauges when they have an on the shelf replacement that comes with a great warranty. :confused

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
If you just wanted to go that route, I'd buy an Autometer gauge and switch out the guts. I bet its pretty generic stuff, tho nobody at autometer will comment. The bezel on the stock gauge isn't a piece of cake to slip off. It may end up causing more cosmetic damage than you could live with.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Also, they said they identified something on the stock gauge controller board that took a voltage spike. They did not say that their equipment would be able to handle the such a voltage spike, only that they would warranty (lifetime) the hardware if it occurs.

When I dissected a few gauges, I could find no obvious evidence of a voltage spike and because the circuitry did not bare any markings it made testing individual chips all but impossible (for me). I am sure they are much better equipped to test these things.

FordGTOC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 9, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
I'll pass on what SpeedHut said via e-mail. I have a bad volt meter and asked via their onsite e-mail whether the SpeedHut replacement will fit the stock (OEM) dash panel. The answer was "yes" it will fit perfectly, and they confirmed that you can order the replacement gauge with the silver bezel to look more like stock. So you can buy the whole set, in which case you need their dash panel insert, or you can replace your dead gauges (other than the Tach and Speedo) and use the OEM panel.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
What im wondering is if there is a way for them to cut the back side of a stock speedo and tach and put their guts into them?

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi guys,
Just logged on after some time away.
The reason for my visit being that my battery went dead and after replacing and conncting my charger my speedo has gone quiet.
This thread popped up when searching "speedo dead" and it has been very intersting reading.

I have a few points and questions to ask my fellow GT'ers...

1. Is a speedo fixable? (I suppose not but have to ask)
2. These Speedhut gauges looks very sweet, but how about at night - I would hate if they didn't match the original blue/white light.
3. running a TT setup I would be far more interested in having a air/fuel gauge in place of the volt meter - anyone going in that direction??

And least - anyone goining for these new gauges and wanting to sell their OEM speedo??:biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What im wondering is if there is a way for them to cut the back side of a stock speedo and tach and put their guts into them?

Give that man a 'ceeegar'. 'Been wondering the same thing...

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
What do do?

I've followed this thread closely along with many of the more troubling gauge-failure-related threads in the past. I now have a gas gauge out. I woke up the car some time ago after returning from a three-month biz trip to find that the oil-pressure and gas-gauges were no-op. After replacing the battery (as I recall, the car was on the Tender) and ensuring good contact at the chassis ground my oil-pressure gauge is working but the gas gauge did not recover.
So, some simple questions:
1. The gauge is stuck at 'full'. Is this a common gauge failure mode or (gulp) could I have a problem with the tank float (or somewhere in between);
2. If only one gauge is out (and one started working after a battery fix), what is the chance that it is the gauge controller;
3. What it the best way to diagnose? I'd rather not send the car out for something like this, but I don't like driving with any 'faults'. Shall I just order a replacement OEM gauge and start from there? Torey (sp?)
Thanks,
Rich

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Your gas gauge could be stuck at any level. It won't come back and it's not the float (it's ultrasound).

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
anyone have a carbon fiber backplate for these gauges?

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
sweet!!! thanks for the link!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I took the old gauge cluster and made a cool piece of office furniture out of it.

Dash1.jpg

Dash2.jpg

Dash3.jpg

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Awesome!

Great idea...