Speedhut Gauge Install Question

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I am planning to install the new gauges this weekend and in reviewing the instruction pages I have a question.

For those who have done this, just how much trimming was required of the tachometer spin ring to clear the binnacle?

The picture shows quite a large amount removed.

Is it one of those "every car is different" situations???

Thanks

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Hey Kevin, give Kendall a call. He has all the answers........Go Blu

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not much at all. If I recall, the trim is needed on the BACK of the bezel (the spin ring) in order to clear the factory turn signal, odometer and dummy lights. So just gotta figure out how much trim is needed and at what point, then trim accordingly and you're good to go. John (CanadianCobra) up here in Edmonton has a bench grinder so it was literally only seconds to do.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
It must be different from car to car. I had to trim off as much material as possible without compromising the structure of the spin ring.

canadiancobra

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2011
Edmonton,Alberta
You need to trim quite a bit on the tach ring but not to wreck the integrity of the ring. You will probably need to trim a few of the smaller rings as well to clear the odometer and idiot light unit. It will become fairly obvious what needs trimming once you get started. As Pro mentioned a bench grinder makes it quick and painless. Make sure to use blue tape on your dash to avoid scratching! Good Luck, john

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You need to trim quite a bit on the tach ring but not to wreck the integrity of the ring. You will probably need to trim a few of the smaller rings as well to clear the odometer and idiot light unit. It will become fairly obvious what needs trimming once you get started. As Pro mentioned a bench grinder makes it quick and painless. Make sure to use blue tape on your dash to avoid scratching! Good Luck, john

I used a tabletop belt sander. A file would work, but it takes more time.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks. I've got a bench grinder and Dremel hand tool so I should be good to go.....also Kendall's phone number!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Anytime, Kevin!! And if you wanted to bring the assembly over here to finalize it, no problem at all! Sam is threatening to come by this weekend to have us help him with a new truck he just bought so you can can help distract him while we get some work done!! As others have said, it will be obvious where you need to trim. You just need to tighten the rings and see where they are "clocked", then mark them in their clocked position. Remove, trim, and re-install. I have a preferred way of wiring in the 1" cube transducer chingadero that is different that what SpeedHut does. Essentially I like to use butt connectors with the protective heat shrink to accomplish this job rather than the tap-in connectors which are a little "iffy" for me. Call, stop by, text - whatever. Best regards!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Hey thanks Kendall.
I'm going get started Saturday morning with removing stock dash and gauges. I'm confident I'll be able to successfully make the complete switch of systems.
I have used the dremel to slightly grind down the tach slip ring where it needs it top and bottom, and now will remove the ring and use my bench grinder to take more material off. Then after pulling off the odometer and other LCD item from the original dash, I'll use the dremel to trim other rings and such.
I agree with you and have already used butt connnectors and heat shrink tubes for wiring in the transducer chingadero thingy.
I plan on posting success photos this weekend. Fingers crossed.....
Now, regarding Sam.....you are on your own!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

And I thought we were friends! LOL

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I thought the install is pretty staright forward, what's all this talk about transducer chingadero, dremel tools, clocked ring positioning coordinates, and,..., Sam !

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Junior,
Don't know if you are joking or not....but...
Instructions refer to some trimming required in a few spots in order to have the dash assembly fit in the binnacle, and some other trimming.
The "transducer chingadero" is a component that changes the voltage (AC to DC or vise versa) and is done by splicing positive and negative wires into the nearby Water Temp gauge wires.
Sam???? Just Kendall joking about him coming up this weekend to have some work done.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Joking of course Kevin, I must admit however, I never heard of a transducer chingadero before :lol :lol :lol, On a serious note, my hat is off to you for taking on this project, I don't have the chingadero cajones to do it myself and it's always good to have Kendall around to rescue me on projects :thumbsup

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Now you guys have me worried about the install. I might just have Rich & Dennis do it in the spring when they are here.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The hardest part of the install is getting the gauge panel of the 1st time. Have to start pulling the speedo side out first, but it is tight. After that NBD. I would also advise somehow securing the wiring to the back of the panel, like OEM, and not letting them float around. It makes it easier to install later.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Junior I figured you were pulling my leg.....
MNJason, it's all pretty straightforward. I just about completed it all. Will do final install of the panel and gauges to the dash in the morning. All gauges and lights are working at this point.
As Clinton says the initial part of removing the OEM panel is hard. When I got back under the dash and really released the wiring harness then the panel came out pronto. And yes, I used a lot of zip ties to secure the gauge wires to the thick OEM harness.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Just got mine. Need to take them out of the box and check them out.

Anyone going to be in the Minneapolis area over the next couple of months that wants to help me tackle this project? :)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Just got mine. Need to take them out of the box and check them out.

Anyone going to be in the Minneapolis area over the next couple of months that wants to help me tackle this project? :)

Maybe later in the new year, it is a wee bit chilly in your area now.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Hey thanks Kendall.
I'm going get started Saturday morning with removing stock dash and gauges. I'm confident I'll be able to successfully make the complete switch of systems.
I have used the dremel to slightly grind down the tach slip ring where it needs it top and bottom, and now will remove the ring and use my bench grinder to take more material off. Then after pulling off the odometer and other LCD item from the original dash, I'll use the dremel to trim other rings and such.
I agree with you and have already used butt connnectors and heat shrink tubes for wiring in the transducer chingadero thingy.
I plan on posting success photos this weekend. Fingers crossed.....

Take some pics of the work along the way.