Spec clutch owners

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Clinton, I am traveling this week on business but I just got AlohaGT's clutch in and so I will try to get some pics for you by the weekend. The clutch is NOT round like OEM... it's a 4-legged thing as I recall with no springs.... and hence the engagement shudder.

FYI - I don't think I've ever met a wimpy Whipple!! We can't lose perspective of how great all of these mod choices are!! I've got two Whipples in the queue to be installed and I wouldn't do them if I didn't believe in the product.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
It already feels tons better after about 100 miles. I was so mad when I first got it but got a perma smile now.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
It already feels tons better after about 100 miles. I was so mad when I first got it but got a perma smile now.

I told you the clutch rocks.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As promised, here are a couple of pics of the Spec clutch. Note that I was wrong about the springs - they're there.

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
oooooo is that what mine looks like? cool.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Mullet, we have been using the P-trim Spec clutch and I think previously you mentioned you are using the ST-Trim. The clutch part itself is likely a little different than what is shown, but the pretty billet housing and the billet aluminum flywheel is likely the same.

The assembly gets a little less pretty when we put the OEM toothed starter ring on.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Kendall thanks for the photos.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Kumar,

I drove my new Spec clutch for the first time yesterday. I actually had a bit less chatter than I expected, especially when cold. It is much better than my Cobra clutch was. I put two hundred stop & go miles on it and it smoothed out a bit. It will get better but will never be as smooth as a standard clutch which never chatters but is easy to damage. The spec clutch is as close to bullet proof in a 1000 HP car as you can get. Trust me, you will like it. I hated that clutch in my Cobra at first, but soon really liked it. So I had a totally different expectation when I got into my GT yesterday. It's just different.

Chip

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Is the SPEC clutch just a single disc system?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Is the SPEC clutch just a single disc system?

Ralphie,

The Spec clutch is a two disc system.

Chip