Source or Part # for Interior Engine Access Panel Cover Lower Seal

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Does anybody know a source or a part # for the lower foam/rubber seal on the interior engine access panel cover? This is the cover (on non-Mac GTs) that sits between the seats and has a pocket for the owner's manual.

The lower seal on my cover had become loose and my attempts to fix and re-install the panel has left the seal less than pristine. I would like to replace the original foam/rubber seal with some new material. If the original material isn't available, something close would be great.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

A picture for reference:

UcuWpkK.jpg

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Well, I think you will be able to find something suitable if not exact or better. I'm sure others will chime in with potentially better sources, but why don't you start HERE. Let us all know if you find something!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Waldo I may have a used one

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Well, I think you will be able to find something suitable if not exact or better. I'm sure others will chime in with potentially better sources, but why don't you start HERE. Let us all know if you find something!
Thanks for the link. I'll definitely take a look.
Waldo I may have a used one
Hey, Ron! If you do happen to have a spare used one, please give me a shout.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Waldo I’ll check this morning and give you a ring

Reactions: Waldo

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Let us all know if you find something!
McMaster-Carr has a push on seal that appears dimensionally very close to the OEM seal. The most noticeable difference being that the McMaster-Carr seal has a hollow EPDM foam rubber bulb versus the OEM solid foam rubber. A short section wasn't very expensive, so I ordered a few feet. It should arrive in a few days. I'll post a comparison once I've received it.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Here's another source of rubber trim: https://www.steelerubber.com/automotive

Reactions: Waldo

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
So I have a data point of what doesn't work. I tested a section of "Water and Weather Resistant Hollow Foam Rubber Push on Seals with Bulb on Top" from McMaster Carr.

I ordered the size 1/4"-7/16"-15/16"-1/2". Dimensionally it is very close to the factory trim and seal, and clips right into place. Unfortunately the seal portion is made from vinyl rubber and is hollow. This results in what I would consider unacceptable creases at the sharp bends where the seal meets the corners of the console. The finish on the trim portion is shinier than the OEM trim.

It seems that a replacement seal will need to be solid like the factory seal. After a bit more searching I found that Trim-Lok sells solid EPDM sponge rubber tubing with a 1/2" diameter.

Trim-Lok sells it in 500' lengths which is a bit more than I need. (You'll need about 33" for the lower seal.) 25' lengths can be purchased through Amazon or Grainger. The Grainger item # is 10G523.

I should have the solid Trim-Lok EPDM rubber tubing by the end of the week. I'll provide an update after I've wrestled with it.

Reactions: extrap

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thanks Waldo. Miss the Black Sheep?

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Always.

I visited the squadron in March for the official VMA to VMFA (AV-8B to F-35B) redesignation ceremony. It was good to see some grey, pointy-nose jets and catch up with some old friends.

Reactions: Nafod

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
It looks like Trim-Lok's 1/2" EPDM sponge rubber tubing will do the trick. The new seal isn't compressed like the old/original foam, so it took a bit more effort to set the interior engine access panel cover in the proper position for the T27 fasteners to reach the threads in the bulkhead.

Trim-Lok's sponge rubber tubing does not have an adhesive strip. You will need to use an adhesive to attach it to the trim that slips on to the engine access panel cover. I used Loctite 495541 Black Weatherstrip Adhesive. The Loctite adhesive is a bit runny before it sets and can make a bit of a mess. I would recommend some trial applications on something other than GT parts if you haven't used it before.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
What is this, rocket science?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Roketscience.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Waldo, have you tried a high end car stereo installer shop? I am sure D/Ft W must have a few. Or a window/door installer (Pella)?

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
What is this, rocket science?
I am not a rocket surgeon, but I have slept in a Holiday Inn Express before.
Waldo, have you tried a high end car stereo installer shop? I am sure D/Ft W must have a few. Or a window/door installer (Pella)?
I hadn't considered a car stereo shop. I was thinking about trying some auto upholstery shops, but I was hoping to find a solution that didn't require me to slog through DFW traffic unless absolutely necessary. The stuff I ordered from Trim-Lok did the trick.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Waldo, that's what the telephone and internet are for. Let me check with someone.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Waldo I sent you a PM.

Last edited:

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I would like to offer my many thanks to Stormcat who provided me with a few feet of the OEM trim/seal. He also asked that I let other forum members know that he has a small supply of the OEM trim/seal and has offered to make it available to those owners who are in need. He's a great guy and true GT ambassador. Don't hesitate to give him a shout.

Reactions: steved57

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Was happy to help. If someone needs the seal for the inner horse shoe section or the perimeter I have the exact OEM material. Lock it in your memory banks or ask Frank..lol.. Happy Motoring!!

Attachments

• 20220527_150849.jpg
    20220527_150849.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 5