Sonic Blue for sale?

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
If memory serves me, a Camilo-Heffner one off went for 265k at Rally . Sonic is a special car with a special history...value?... Don't ask me. It is worth what someone's willing to pay. Capitalist market and I would generally say all of us are then power to them for selling, marketing, and try to get what they believe it deserves. Certainly more valuable than some of the ridiculous restomods sold at certain Arizona auctions.

Stu

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
If memory serves me, a Camilo-Heffner one off went for 265k at Rally . Sonic is a special car with a special history...value?... Don't ask me. It is worth what someone's willing to pay. Capitalist market and I would generally say all of us are then power to them for selling, marketing, and try to get what they believe it deserves. Certainly more valuable than some of the ridiculous restomods sold at certain Arizona auctions.

Stu

Yup. But that there red/white car was not factory produced. Aftermarket. Lots of aftermarket one-offs out there. Shucks, all I got is a silver turd, a bespoke rode hard, put away wet, ole yeller track car with no title and and a half worn out red (worth the least according to the pros) DD. Oops, forgot my bozo the clown high mile Heritage. One thing about that "silver turd".... It sure "floats" my boat. Would that be a "turd floater"? Should I change my forum name?

Last edited:

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
There is some history with collectible Fords and "special paint". In 1968 many of the Shelby/Ford dealers were "stuck" with excess inventory. The dealers were getting 5% rebates because Shelby's were a whopping $4,000+ back then and considered expensive. Ford started a "special paint" promo to boost sales for mustangs and Shelby's (GT350's and GT500KR's). There was Orange, Yellow, Green, and Red. I own one of the yellow ones, Jimmy Connors bought it for his 1977 Playmate wife Patti McGuire. I'm still trying to get the backseat to talk, no luck yet....:) The cars do trade at a premium, yellow ones 10-20% the others it's hard to say because they have not changed hands in recent times and they are more rare. I hope Sonic Blue fetches something descent... I did sell one of the yellow GT500kr fastbacks for $181k in 2010 before buying my current convertible. It won concours gold and was a nice car, prices for that same car non-special paint are about $125-135k. Some similarities but Sonic Blue seems to be a 1 of 1 for any special paint GT, should do very very well especially if someone in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait wants it:):)
http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Others.HTML

Last edited:

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
There is some history with collectible Fords and "special paint". In 1968 many of the Shelby/Ford dealers were "stuck" with excess inventory. The dealers were getting 5% rebates because Shelby's were a whopping $4,000+ back then and considered expensive. Ford started a "special paint" promo to boost sales for mustangs and Shelby's (GT350's and GT500KR's). There was Orange, Yellow, Green, and Red. I own one of the yellow ones, Jimmy Connors bought it for his 1977 Playmate wife Patti McGuire. I'm still trying to get the backseat to talk, no luck yet....:) The cars do trade at a premium, yellow ones 10-20% the others it's hard to say because they have not changed hands in recent times and they are more rare. I hope Sonic Blue fetches something descent... I did sell one of the yellow GT500kr fastbacks for $181k in 2010 before buying my current convertible. It won concours gold and was a nice car, prices for that same car non-special paint are about $125-135k. Some similarities but Sonic Blue seems to be a 1 of 1 for any special paint GT, should do very very well especially if someone in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait wants it:):)
http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Others.HTML

the voice of reason.

I agree the SB car should get a reasonable premium of some kind.......5+ times the market value.....not so much.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
To me, the Sonic Blue car would be the most valuable production GT primarily because of its interesting history. I would think Chris' (?) Nardo car would be the most valuable GT. However, all this talk about value, appreciation, "6 figure" GTs, etc. makes us uncomfortably similar to the F Chat crowd. It is unseemly. Hopefully, all here would love the GT even if it were depreciating.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
However, all this talk about value, appreciation, "6 figure" GTs, etc. makes us uncomfortably similar to the F Chat crowd. It is unseemly. Hopefully, all here would love the GT even if it were depreciating.

AMEN BROTHER SINOVAC!!!!

It got old about 5 years ago.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
You be sayin' that ole yeller track car that ain't got no title is worth a nickel or two? Who woulda thunk it? Thanks for the kind words Sinovac.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
Good luck with the sale. Get as much as you can and it sounds like the memories it created are forever which is priceless to me.

And at the end of the day its so much more than the money or worth of the car.

GT Joey and crew you are irreplacable members of this forum... Good luck

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
So funny on the SAAC Forum these guys find these "Barn Finds" and then claim they are a 1 of 1 due to a rare emblem or some small insignificant fact that makes them rare etc..... Everyone wants the prototype, the car they thought they crushed but shows up 40 years later. There are some fun ones to chase but mostly just old cars. I did find one of the 5 orange 68' Shelby's in England, I had the deal done to buy it for a more than fair price. The owner died and his dad sold his collection to a Ford dealer. Well, I noticed in the photos the Shelby vin plate was a repo. I inquired and a few days go by and magically the original tag shows up. You see, it was left on a hook in the dead guys garage and they "found it"..... There would have been "Six" orange Shelby's at some point and two with the same Shelby Vin. More than a couple "mustangs" out there with bogus Shelby vins in them.... I don't think people will put their GT's in Barns and if they do, it will most likely be a custom barn with 1966 Lemans video on repeat in an air controlled environment With this crowd:):)

H

HHGT

How much drama took place inside Ford when management found out about Sonic Blue?

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
How much drama took place inside Ford when management found out about Sonic Blue?
I bet A LOT. See the photos and captions from the GT registrar:
http://saacforum.com/galleryc/thumbnails.php?album=263

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yep.....

Didn't you paint your race car sonic blu?