So.... anybody ready to start talking about alternative gauges for the FGT?

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
did it work?????

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
did it work?????
About as well as the water trick ..... no!

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
That's what I figured,but he did get it to work once (which was cool).

Thanks
John

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
About as well as the water trick ..... no!

I got the water trick to work. You should go try it again.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I got the water trick to work. You should go try it again.
I got it to work also ..... but I was at the St. James at the time so who know for sure!

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Guys, I know everyone that has had a guage failure is aggrivated that there is not an answer as to why they have failed, but I assure you they are gonna figure it out. I, for one, think its the battery situation. Now, at this point, this is just my opinion, but almost every bad gauge I have come across has had a weak or low battery to go with it. Try one of the alternate batteries that have been discussed on this forum. Replace your bad gauge and the battery. If after that, you get another bad gauge, I will admit that my theory was wrong. Or, you can go and spend a lot of time and a TON of money trying to come up with a completely different gauge alternative, and after that, still not be certain that IT wont fail.

Shelby - Replaced the original battery with a sears platinum. Gauges were erratic and shutting down completely now appear to be working 100% (2005) Hopefully this is THE solution. Thanks Jim

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Had my my second gauge failure today.Started the car after winter storage to head out to a car show and the Tach was stuck at 600 rpm....F%ck!!!...Drove 50 miles there and back and it never came back on.Car was on a battery tender all the time and the battery was changed a year and a half ago with a new one from Ford.Car only has 600 miles lol ...Very Frustrating!!

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I feel your pain. Will your tach needle move at all? Mine will move up very slightly when I run it up and then hang there for a while. It is not even close to actual engine rpm. Then when driving at low rpm, it settles back down around 1200 to 2000 rpm, depending on what mood it is in.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Is there anyone out there that still believes that the failure rate is within an acceptable level? Worse yet, there appears to be no help on the horizon and the one person that may have been our best hope for getting this problem resolved isn't around any longer. Pretty sorry situation. Ford should be ashamed to leave us hanging out there this way. What a disgrace! To those disbelievers, may the gage Gods shine the light upon you!

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
I feel your pain. Will your tach needle move at all? Mine will move up very slightly when I run it up and then hang there for a while. It is not even close to actual engine rpm. Then when driving at low rpm, it settles back down around 1200 to 2000 rpm, depending on what mood it is in.
:lolit only moves when i bang on the dash:lol I tried disconnecting the battery and cycled the key about 50 times.I guess its time to call Torrie for a gauge...

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
the one person that may have been our best hope for getting this problem resolved isn't around any longer.

Who was that and where did they go?

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Add another GT to the gauge problem list!! My 2005 with 4000 miles, stored always with Ford charger going and original battery. My tach is behaving in the same manner as GT350 above. Sticking at a RPM then slowly dropping. Almost acts like a "sticky needle?" Is the opinion to try replacing the battery first??

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Sticking at a RPM then slowly dropping. Almost acts like a "sticky needle?" Is the opinion to try replacing the battery first??
I would replace the battery before doing anything else. The tach on my '05 was doing the same thing about six months ago. I replaced the original battery with another OEM Optima and haven't had a problem with the tach since. (Knock on wood...)

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Gene, I'd replace the battery anyway due to age of the original. If your tach is like mine, highly unlikely that a new battery will cure the problem. Hope so, for your sake. Waldo is very lucky his came back to life, usually the guage is dead in the water. Let us know what happens.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Thanks for the input! Will try a sears platinum diehard this week and let you know.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
A followup note. I replaced the batttery and unfortunately no change. Very frustrating!! I also made the mistake of following the workshop manual on battery replacement. It took me through the removal of the battery tray. This requires removing the spoiler and underbody tray. Totally not necessary and actually removal is not as easy as the diagram shows. The 2005 manual has many mistakes ( totally leaves out oil change; I had to get it from the 2006 manual!!). Advice about hooking up battery tender to battery cables worked well.
Back to the gauges. i guess I thought I would not be one of the unlucky 2%. But I believe it is only a matter of time before the others go as well as everyone else! I hope the solution is coming. I like others refuse to replace it if it will only happen again .

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
i guess I thought I would not be one of the unlucky 2%.
As of today, the Poll on this forum titled "Have you had a gauge failure?" shows a failure rate of 36.89% with 103 votes cast. The problem is far reaching and its full magnitude may prove to be the car's achilles heal with the potential to significantly impact resale value. I'm sure many that have had gauge failure(s) have regular thoughts of bailing out. And as I've stated before, no way am I going to replace another gauge given the total absence of a root cause.

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
I too have a problem with my gas gauge. Every time my 18 year old takes the car out when he's home from college the very next time I get in the car it reads Empty and wont move until I go to the gas station?

Don't mean to bring up an old thread but that is some funny shit rite there!