So.... anybody ready to start talking about alternative gauges for the FGT?

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Spring time is just around the corner...

Like many of you, I've got a very expensive car that I can't drive because the OEM gauges have failed.

With little sign of help from the mfg on the horizon, for me, it's time to start considering some alternatives.

I'm not prepared to replace the existing units with new OEM pieces that are just as likely to fail in the same manner with no rhyme nor reason...

I'm looking for some suggestions as what to use in place of the existing gauges... while hopefully, an eventual resolution will come down the pipeline.

Any thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated.

mardyn

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
There is a company in Boyne City Michigan --Classic Instruments (www.classicinstruments.com)
that ''makes a business'' of duplicating the look of anything - old or new, but using new state of the art electronics behind
the face plates of the gage.
It may be worth your investigation.
phone no. 800-575-0461
Currently all my gages still work :) and I hope that does not change...
AJB (andy)

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
5 year warranty! wow. better than factory. lol

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Guys, I know everyone that has had a guage failure is aggrivated that there is not an answer as to why they have failed, but I assure you they are gonna figure it out. I, for one, think its the battery situation. Now, at this point, this is just my opinion, but almost every bad gauge I have come across has had a weak or low battery to go with it. Try one of the alternate batteries that have been discussed on this forum. Replace your bad gauge and the battery. If after that, you get another bad gauge, I will admit that my theory was wrong. Or, you can go and spend a lot of time and a TON of money trying to come up with a completely different gauge alternative, and after that, still not be certain that IT wont fail.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I assure you they are gonna figure it out. .

This means someone (Ford) is actually working on it?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
This means someone (Ford) is actually working on it?

Yes, it has been mentioned here more than once by DBK that they are working on it. While its probably not the very top project on their list, they are looking at the problem. The biggest way to help is to send any and all bad gauges to DBK so he can personally hand them to SVT so they have several bad gauges IN HAND to help determine the problem.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
My initial thoughts are to just use a similar Autometer 2 5/8" analog gauge(s) and not to disturb any of the OEM dash wiring
harness... once there is a viable solution to the failure problem, I would install new replacement gauges.

Shelby, have you seen any of your cars come through with anything other than the stock pieces? Would a dash
with non-stock gauges hurt the value of the car?

I found a neat little ODBII display device ( http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm ) that I had high hopes for,
but so far I can't get it to communicate with the GT's processor. Seems to work great with every other vehicle I plugged it
in to.

mardyn

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yes, it has been mentioned here more than once by DBK that they are working on it. .

I knew he was collecting them, I just never saw any proclamation that Ford itself was involved.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I would get an autometer 3 dial module and mount in Engine bay; on cross-bar. During warm up; check and at pit-stops.

Also, there is a iphone/adroid app called Dashcommand that displays upto 30 gauges real time (not history/capture) on your iphone/android ported underdash to engine OBDII/ECU jack, then transmits wirelessly. Lite version is free.

http://vimeo.com/2171494

You can have it on console and monitor it.

I would not replace gauges; cost and damage to dash surround, plate will be can of worms.

Attachments

• dashcmd_spread.jpg
    dashcmd_spread.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,086
Last edited:

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I would get an autometer 3 dial module and mount in Engine bay; on cross-bar. During warm up; check and at pit-stops.

Yeah, I like that idea too... I was considering mounting an aux gauge panel in the engine bay that could be seen in the rear view mirror while underway.

Your thoughts about changing the gauges in the dash is probably right on... particularly if only as a temporary fix.

mardyn

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I saw that Autometer plate in a Mangusta......and its dash has 8 Vignalia guages of its own.

Guess Mid engine super cars are haunted.

my 40yr SL's VDO cluster is like a swiss watch.....the ruby red light for reserve comes on when the needle point hits corner of E

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
On 1 of my GTs i have had a variety of nagging, mostly warranty issues but neither car (hope I don't jinx it) has had a gauge failure. Both have Odyessey batteries---connection? Don't know.

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
Throughout the winter storage months I have my car hooked up to the OEM trickle charger and i make it a point of starting my car every month and let it run for 30 minutes or so to charge up the battery , i also drive it up and down the driveway to keep all the brakes and such moving and to try and avoid square tires

Every time I start the car after a month , most of the guages dont work , I then let then car run for 30 minutes and then shut it down and immediately restart it , the guages have all come back to life each time , I hope this statement doesnt jink the situation , but it seems to me that the problem might have something to do with the OEM trickle charger and they way it provides the charge to the battery , I also know you guys have discussed this to death on the forum and if FORD has a hard time figuring it out I know I am in way over my head and I just pray that my guages just keep coming back to life

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Every time I start the car after a month , most of the guages dont work ,

That is scary!

Next time take a voltage reading from the battery after removing the trickle charger, and prior to starting the car, but while applying a small load, like the interior lights on. It should be greater than 12.5v for a battery in good condition.

I could be that your OEM charger isn't working anymore. I like the Battery Tenders (Kendall sells them) and CTek seems good as well. My concern with the OEM charger is it doesn't have any idiot lights. I did have one of my Battery Tender Jr. go bad. The light was always RED, I was wondering why it never turned green. Threw it in the trash and put another in it's place. Went green a few hours. Without the lights I wouldn't have even known it was bad.

H

HHGT

I was talking to Kendall about finding a place to install a manual throw switch where all power from the battery is isolated and effectively disengaging all electronics. The same principle is used on boats during the winter months. When my boat is ready to go in the water, I trickle charge the batteries until full voltage is achieved. I'm thinking this may be one sure way to avoid the electronic gremlins.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am amazed nobody else has had the same problems with "Battery Tender" brand trickle chargers I have. I threw away the 4 I bought (bought at 1 time) because not one of them would even maintain a motorcycle battery. The little idiot lights meant nothing. Every battery I tried to maintain died. Maybe they are not all bad but all of mine were.:bored

When I switched to Optima and Odyssey Batteries I was referred to Accumate by the Odyssey factory hotline. They aren't tiny but they have the ability to modify the amperage based on the need of the battery. They will bring dead batteries back from nothing quickly too, again by automatically adjusting the amperage it puts out. (if the battery isn't shot).

I was told Odyssey batteries need 6A to maintain them sufficiently, I would guess similar amps for the optima.

For the GT, I wired in their weatherproof quick disconnect directly to the battery and zip tied the plug to the backside radiator grille down low and out of sight. It took 20 minutes.

I highly recommend them;

http://www.amazon.com/TECMATE-TM-21..._8?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1297621288&sr=1-8

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I think the Battery Tender "lights" are OK when you plug/unplug every week and it resets often.

When you plug in for 4+ months...I trust that 50 cent circuit board in that thing less.....base don pages of failure on a google search

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
I just took the cover off the GT for its monthly start and all the guages are fine , touch wood that they stay this way

Does anyone know how long you need to run the car for the altenator to give the battery a full charge

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Shelby, of the cars that you replaced the guages on, have you had any that you know of go bad again? I remember at least a couple of people on the forum that replaced guages only to have them go bad again. I have replaced my battery with the Sears diehard that fits (made by Optima, I believe). I am a bit reluctant to put my new tach and temp guages in only to see $1500 worth of guages go kerblewie again. I have hoped that by now we would have some answers, but no such luck.

One of my friends had a funny yet possible temporary solution for my temp guage. He suggested strapping one of the remote meat thermometers used for grilling to my radiator hose and keep the temperature indicator in the cockpit. He has one of these and it actually works pretty well. If I do this, I'll have to post pictures and a how-to guide on the forum : )

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I have never had one go bad after replacing it, but I also made sure the battery was a fresh battery when the gauges were replaced. Out of 300+ GTs we have sold, I have only replaced 10 gauges. That's a small percentage. Annoying problem, but not as wide spread as some may think....