Smog Monitors

GToy

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 6, 2006
Reno NV
Anyone having problems passing smog check due to monitors not resetting?

Here is my rant. I drove 30 miles to the smog check station I always use to get my certification to renew my registration. The car was clean and passed emissions ok but the monitors would not reset.

The smog guy's advice was to go drive the car hard for 50 to 100 miles and come back. Well since I did not want to get arrested on Nevada's highways today, I went to the local DMV and talked to the senior emissions tech. After explaining the problem and asking him what I could do, his first comment was that just because I am a Ford GT owner doesn’t mean I don't have to comply with the smog laws. Since I didn’t want to be arrested for punching a state official today, I calmly said that was not my intention at all, I just needed his advice. His next statement was that my car is broken and I should take it to the dealer for repair. At this point I just walked away because I really did not want to go to jail today. Thanks for listening.

Bottom line, I still have the same problem. All emission devices are in place and operable. There are no trouble code lights so there is obviously no problem, the monitors just have not reset for the EGR and catalyst. Does anyone know what it takes to reset these monitors?

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Interesting, I just had the same problem today in CA. Instead of enjoying the first day of the car arriving I spent 4 hours at the smog shop trying different ideas the guy had on getting them to reset. :thumbsdow

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I had my car smogged at the local dealer recommended here on the Forum. Turned out to be a great way to meet up with them and see if I'd be willing to trust them with the car before they ever had to put a wrench on it.
They were very competent, clearly provided special treatment to GT owners, and I'm sure they would have done whatever was required to ensure that the car passed the DMV smog test.

H

HHGT

Here's an idea.

Take it to a dyno shop and have them run it hard a few times. You'll get a profile on your Hp/Tq and have it run hard legally.

Aug 25, 2006
Anyone having problems passing smog check due to monitors not resetting?

Here is my rant. I drove 30 miles to the smog check station I always use to get my certification to renew my registration. The car was clean and passed emissions ok but the monitors would not reset.

The smog guy's advice was to go drive the car hard for 50 to 100 miles and come back. Well since I did not want to get arrested on Nevada's highways today, I went to the local DMV and talked to the senior emissions tech. After explaining the problem and asking him what I could do, his first comment was that just because I am a Ford GT owner doesn’t mean I don't have to comply with the smog laws. Since I didn’t want to be arrested for punching a state official today, I calmly said that was not my intention at all, I just needed his advice. His next statement was that my car is broken and I should take it to the dealer for repair. At this point I just walked away because I really did not want to go to jail today. Thanks for listening.

Bottom line, I still have the same problem. All emission devices are in place and operable. There are no trouble code lights so there is obviously no problem, the monitors just have not reset for the EGR and catalyst. Does anyone know what it takes to reset these monitors?

Does your gal have a pulley, tune, etc.

If yes PM me

Takes care

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
Interesting, I just had the same problem today in CA. Instead of enjoying the first day of the car arriving I spent 4 hours at the smog shop trying different ideas the guy had on getting them to reset. :thumbsdow

Message left

Call me when time permits

All the best

Shadowman

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
When my car was new brand new, I had to drive it over 100 miles to get all the sensors to set so I could get it smogged. Basically, I had to drive it at a higher RPM for 50-60 miles straight one day to get all the temperatures up. You don 't have to break the speed limit, it's getting the RPM's up, so just drive it in a lower gear than you normally would.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Here's an idea.

Take it to a dyno shop and have them run it hard a few times. You'll get a profile on your Hp/Tq and have it run hard legally.

Sam,
You do have great ideas from time to time.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Why the issues ? :confused
I had 0 issues when I smoged my car, bought from a dealer out of state, shipped it to Sunny So. Cal, drove it 2 miles to the smog shop and 15 minutes later, DONE.

Aug 25, 2006
Why the issues ? :confused
I had 0 issues when I smoged my car, bought from a dealer out of state, shipped it to Sunny So. Cal, drove it 2 miles to the smog shop and 15 minutes later, DONE.

When the gal is in OEM trim the time to get the readiness codes to set is typically short; under 20 miles however with the gals that have been tweaked some of the systems have been disabled therefore need to be turned back on during for this process to take place.

Takes care

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Oh happy day, they are discontinuing smogging in IL around the St. Louis area. Buildings are permanently closed!!!!!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Everything in NC is "plug and play" - ODBII connector.

No more rear tail pipe probing :lol

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Code Reset Issue

I am having the same problem with my GT in NJ right now. I took it to the same private shop that performs the inspection on all of my cars and he said that some code needed to reset before he could run the emissions inspection. His advice is to drive her steady with lots of coasting for an hour and bring it back. My car has the SCT tune, Whipple, and FRP muffler. The car has 4000 miles on it. Any advice on how I might resolve this? Thanks, Shadowman. PD

Aug 25, 2006
I am having the same problem with my GT in NJ right now. I took it to the same private shop that performs the inspection on all of my cars and he said that some code needed to reset before he could run the emissions inspection. His advice is to drive her steady with lots of coasting for an hour and bring it back. My car has the SCT tune, Whipple, and FRP muffler. The car has 4000 miles on it. Any advice on how I might resolve this? Thanks, Shadowman. PD

I just sent you a PM

This is a situation where there is no amount of driving that will reset the OBDII readiness codes because ............................

You need to use the SCT tuner and return the gal to stock and then moderately drive her for 30-50 miles and then once the smog check is completed you can reload the custom "off road" tune making her ready for the next track event.

Takes care

Shadowman

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Got it. You are the man! Can't thank you enough. PD :thumbsup:thumbsup